PDA

View Full Version : Separate alpha image...no need.

Simon-S
01-17-2012, 04:51 AM
Hi,

I have noticed that in a lot of tutorials or scenes that I have downloaded, many people use a separate black and white alpha image to deal with transparency or clipping.

There is a simpler way which I have recently discovered. Sorry if you already know this, but I didn't until recently so there must be others ;)

If you have an texture image with a transparency channel you can clone the image in image editor and set its alpha channel to 'alpha only', then apply this to your transparency channel in surface editor.

NB: When you apply the instanced image to the transparency channel in surface editor you have to invert it.

Saves time faffing about in photoshop creating something that's already embedded in your image.

Hope this helps.

SBowie
01-17-2012, 07:17 AM
Other duties mean I'm only able to poke about in LW occasionally, but I did know this one. I'm glad you posted, though - not only because there are no doubt a few who were unaware, but especially because I don't get to see the expression "faffing about" used nearly often enough. :)

Pamela G. Juust
01-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks! Did not know that and it is good to know!

Philbert
01-17-2012, 12:16 PM
I did know this in the past but had forgotten how to do it and actually just asked about it here last week when I downloaded some tree models that used this for the leaves. Thanks.

GraphXs
01-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Thanks, I as well was aware of this, and its a solution, what I would love to see is nt just add a "use alpha only" in the transparent channel. That would be so much easier and faster. Maybe afuture realease?

Danner
01-17-2012, 02:58 PM
I stopped using that method a long time ago because the clone would not save with the scene. It might be fixed now tho.

Silkrooster
01-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Its good to post these tips from time to time. They tend to get lost in these forums. There is always someone, who is just learning about a tip or two. Its also amazing how many small tips one forgets about as well. Which makes all of Williams video tutorials a staple in this community.

Philbert
01-18-2012, 12:07 AM
It's a shame those videos are so hard to find now.

Silkrooster
01-18-2012, 12:10 AM

So true, I think you need to use the ftp site to get to them for now. I haven't heard if anyone has updated the links to them yet.
I have some burned to cd's if they ever truely get lost, but I would need Newtek's and William's permission to resubmit any of them, assuming it got to that point. I take copyright quite seriously.

Simon-S
01-18-2012, 02:37 AM

They're here...

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=77002

archijam
01-18-2012, 02:42 AM
.. And here (care of Lightwiki) :

http://www.youtube.com/user/LightWiki/

Serling
01-18-2012, 04:25 AM
Other duties mean I'm only able to poke about in LW occasionally, but I did know this one. I'm glad you posted, though - not only because there are no doubt a few who were unaware, but especially because I don't get to see the expression "faffing about" used nearly often enough. :)

I was just faffing about online when I read this.

Please, feel free to return to whatever faffing about you were doing.

bazsa73
01-18-2012, 04:34 AM
"faffing about" sounds nerdish so I register it into my database

Ryan Roye
01-18-2012, 04:46 AM
I stopped using that method a long time ago because the clone would not save with the scene.

I got this too so I fell back to black/white masks (v. 9.6)

Simon-S
01-18-2012, 04:51 AM
They save in the scene and model fine these days.

Philbert
01-18-2012, 08:55 AM
They're here...

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=77002

.. And here (care of Lightwiki) :

http://www.youtube.com/user/LightWiki/

I knew about the list but forgot where it was. The YouTube link is a little better thanks. Still, you shouldn't have to go hunting through the forums to find them.

Nangleator
01-18-2012, 09:39 AM
I fell in love with PNGs a few years ago, in part because of this LW feature.

Simon-S
01-18-2012, 09:52 AM
I fell in love with PNGs a few years ago, in part because of this LW feature.

It works with tga's too, as long as they have an alpha channel.