PDA

View Full Version : good midrange tablet

pixelmac
01-16-2012, 03:26 PM
I am thinking about getting a tablet in order to be able to do simple sketches to import as reference in modeler as well as general doodling for storyboarding ideas. Probably not going to use that for painting. Any good recommendation of what's out there that is reasonably priced ?

My main criterion is that it has enough sensitivity to allow for natural sketching of characters. I am not too concerned about getting a killer painting software with it.

Dexter2999
01-16-2012, 04:09 PM
What is your definition of "reasonable"?

A few years back I went with the Intuos3 Medium size tablet. I found it was large enough to do what I wanted but small enough to fit in my (large) laptop bag. The current rate on the Intuos 4 Medium is $349.

That price is "reasonable" up against the Cintiq tablets but may still be "unrealistic" if your budget is for something in the Bamboo line.

I stuck with Wacom after reading a ton of reviews of people who were unhappy with other brands. But times change. There may be other viable alternatives now.

biliousfrog
01-17-2012, 02:39 AM
Whatever Wacom model you can afford. A5 is the perfect size for most people, anything bigger requires much more desk space and wider arm movements.

I've got an Intuos3, had it for several years, I had a graphire (pre-bamboo budget model) many years before that and a cheap A4 tablet in between. Personally, I wouldn't use anything other than a Wacom, even if it meant buying 2nd hand. Not only is the construction better than the competition but the drivers are almost guaranteed to work with your OS and apps, the same can't be said with some cheaper alternatives.

Simon-S
01-17-2012, 02:56 AM
I have a Wacom Bamboo Pen&Touch medium and its been great. Its way cheaper than a lot of the other wacom tablets but it feels really solid and well made. A joy to use.

VonBon
01-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Those Bamboos also come with "Sketckbook Express", nice program.

vncnt
01-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Whatever Wacom model you can afford. A5 is the perfect size for most people, anything bigger requires much more desk space and wider arm movements.
Correct.

I've got an Intuos3, had it for several years, I had a graphire (pre-bamboo budget model) many years before that and a cheap A4 tablet in between. Personally, I wouldn't use anything other than a Wacom, even if it meant buying 2nd hand. Not only is the construction better than the competition but the drivers are almost guaranteed to work with your OS and apps, the same can't be said with some cheaper alternatives.
Me too.

pixelmac
01-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I did use to own a smaller graphire. Was not impressed with resolution. I am thinking about going Intuos 4 medium size and use Autodesk sketchbook pro with it. The largest bamboo is about $200.0 and the size of the medium intuos 4 which is an extra $80 or so. However, the Intuos 4 has twice the resolution of the bamboo.

VonBon
01-17-2012, 10:41 AM
:D mine is an oldschool (i mean old) Wacom Graphire 2, i think.
i went and bought a new Bamboo and took it back because i was
getting better stroke quality out of my old one, (atleast in ZBrush)
and the old one has an eraser on the other end of the pen.

pixelmac
01-22-2012, 09:06 AM
So I went with the Bamboo create. I had the opportunity to try both the create and the mid size Intuos4. The difference in performance did not justify the extra money (for my particular use pattern, others may differ..). Very happy with it. It comes with a bunch of bundled software that is adequate for most tasks. Its fast enough and sensitive enough that you can draw as if it was a real pencil or brush. The size is good too. Its slightly bigger than my mac air laptop and thus, fits in the same case.