PDA

View Full Version : Gradient background not rendering in scene?

Philly85
01-16-2012, 03:28 AM
Anyone know how I fix this please?

When I render the scene the gradient background is there but if I render the whole scene the background is just pure black, any ideas?

Same result if I use a textures environment as well :(

Using LW 10 and Mac iCore7

Thanks.

3DGFXStudios
01-16-2012, 04:18 AM
Is your render "alpha output" set to unpremultiplied? (in the render globals)

Philly85
01-16-2012, 05:34 AM
Yeah tried it with both settings still the same on .mov

rsfd
01-16-2012, 06:32 AM
sorry, cannot reproduce this issue here: LW10.1 (#2161) Mac64x.
First thought, it might be related to the actual LW/QuickTime combination (as you seem to render a .mov file).
You could set LW to 32-bit (via Application's Info Panel > run in 32-bit mode), to see if you get other results.
If you are using an earlier build (10.0), you might want to install 10.1 to see if this issue still applies.

Philly85
01-16-2012, 07:59 AM
This is turning into a nightmare :(

I have rendered the 780 frames in PNG format, I put them into Premiere Pro but when I drag them in they last longer than 1 second, Ive tried highlighting them all and made them 1 frame each but they just seperate.

Is there anyway to do this? I do not have the time to drag in 780 images one by one and resize them to 1 frame each.

Surrealist.
01-16-2012, 08:16 AM
Did you fix the BG issue? That is usually a image format issue I think. Something is broken I think regarding PNG. If you render a sequence that is 32 bit (24+Alpha) some programs like Photoshop will treat the background as alpha and will be transparent. In Premiere that might be the case too. I think this might be normal - not sure. But rendering in PNG 24 does not seem to fix it. I had to render in something like Tiff or TGA and use 24 bit. I did not try these formats in 32 bit to see what they did with the BG. But I seem to remember this is an issue with BG in some formats.

The frame length issue is likely a format thing too. I had that happen in Vegas also. That was PNG I think. Since then I have been rendering in other formats like open exr or TGA which is an uncompressed format and I have not run into any of these issues. Rule of thumb here is I think just avoid PNG.

01-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Yet again we all chorus, never,ever,ever render to a movie file if you value your sanity & have space on your HD for an uncompressed image sequence.
It's just not worth the angst when it inevitably goes wrong!
Personally I render to .tga 'cos it's quick & easy to drop a folder of renders onto the speededit timeline & render to AVI.

rsfd
01-17-2012, 03:56 AM
as far as I understand, Philly85 rendered at the beginning to a .mov file and encountered background color issues.
Unfortunately, he hasn't given any information about if he was able to resolve this issue in the meantime.
Now, he is obviously rendering to .png single frames, but encounters issues with frame lenght inside Premiere Pro. (Cannot help here, as I don't use Premiere Pro).

Philly85
01-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Sorry guys just finished. Yeah gave up on it and did the PNG route in th end heres the final vid :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzKnADeAHII

UnCommonGrafx
01-17-2012, 06:15 PM
IF you want a background to render, put your background on a plane and render.
This will fill your alpha with white.

Or

Save it in a 24bit format so that the alpha isn't there.

This used to drive me crazy until I learned that these apps (re:editors) always use the alpha if the format has it; no 32bit then no cutouts. You can turn this behavior off, too.