PDA

View Full Version : Can I use LW on my laptop

Willax
01-15-2012, 04:42 PM
I will be travelling for the next month or two and have some projects I need to finish. I have exclusively used LW 9.6 on my desktop only. Can I take the desktop dongle and plug it into my laptop with the 9.6 installed? I havent't actually tried it because don't want to mess up any licensing that is tied to my desktop. Or can I purchase a second dongle to allow this? Any help appreciated
Willax

Phil
01-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Yes. There's no system-based licensing for LW, or for most add-ons - you'll just need the config file and the dongle (as well as dongle drivers). Things that interact with LW and have system-specific licensing would be PointOven and Vue xStream, but you'd know about those if you had bought and installed them. :)

Serling
01-15-2012, 05:11 PM
I run LightWave on my laptop and desktop (alternatively) all the time. You just need to install it on your laptop with the dongle attached to a USB port. Then, when you want to run it on one or the other, simply move the dongle (hardware key) to the machine you want to use.

jasonwestmas
01-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Yes, and you can even use it with a crappy Intel HD Integrated system though you may have to use 16bit ogl color to avoid the display bugs. Licensing isn't an issue as long as you have your dongle plugged into whatever computer.

Ryan Roye
01-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Performance-wise, the only real limitations regarding laptops from my experience is that a lot of them made before a certain time (maybe before dual cores) typically had terrible onboard video cards which would equate to a choppy user interface when using Lightwave.

Greenlaw
01-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Most of the time I run Lightwave on an HP tm2 tablet PC (a convertible laptop.) In fact, I do nearly all of my personal 3D modeling, texture painting and animation work on it. It has an ATI card and OGL performance is pretty decent. Render performance is acceptable for test rendering but not so much for final animation renders, especially if GI is enabled. When I'm ready for final animation renders, I just wait till I get home and submit the file to our render farm. Sometimes I use this tablet for work at the Box too, though mainly for R&D or 2D design work. (It's basically a Wacom Cintiq with a brain.)

Come to think of it, my last three laptops were mainly used for running Lightwave. So, for me anyway, laptops can most certainly be fast enough for 3D production work.

Anyway, as everybody else already indicated, the point in having a dongle is that it's designed to let you to easily move your software license to almost any computer. I probably move my Lightwave license between at least three different computers in a given week. It's one of many reasons I prefer using LW and I wish I could do this with all of my software.

G.

Willax
01-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies. I was stressing that I wasn't going to be able to work on these projects while I'm helping my wife with her mom to recover from surgery. This easing my mind that I can still get the work done in time.
Willax