PDA

View Full Version : New, Free Tutorial Videos!!!

RebelHill
01-15-2012, 08:22 AM
Hey there.

So, Ive been adding new videos recently to my YouTube channel for all.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RHLW

You'll find a new Rigging Primer set there, which are introductory vids for anyone who wants to get to grips the the absolute basics of rigging, and the fundamental knowledge that you'll need to understand how things work further down the line... I'll be adding additional vids to this set over the next couple weeks, so do check back, or subscribe.

Ive also got additional stuff in there too, including a great basic starter vid in General CG that covers easy shoulder topology to help you get the best out of character shoulders in any package.

And also brand new is a really thorough tutorial on using the render engine to best advantage under the General LW section... which covers all the need to know bits to help you understand how LWs renderer can be best optimised, which is good for ALL users, both those on previous version of LW, as well as those wanting to get up to date on the new Unified Sampling system introduced in LW11.

Cheers, and enjoy.

SteveH
01-15-2012, 08:24 AM
Rebelhill - Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to share your knowledge. Awesome man! :thumbsup:

Andrewstopheles
01-15-2012, 08:29 AM
thank you very much!

evenflcw
01-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Cool. Thanks.

Creativetone
01-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Thank you very much, RebelHill!

Rendering, Sampling and Antialiasing very well explained (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgNB9tZWUmM) :thumbsup:

JeffrySG
01-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Great stuff! Cheers, RH!

archijam
01-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Nice one RH !

probiner
01-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Had already subscribed, they keep coming. You've been busy :D
Thanks!

Cheers

RebelHill
01-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Rendering, Sampling and Antialiasing very well explained:thumbsup:

it is aint it...

apart of course from the bit at the end where I stick my head up my own arse and try telling you how a power of 2 is either 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,etc...

They may all be that but it is ofc any rootable number that produces an integer...

pick a number, hit square root, is it a whole number? if so its good to use, if not, better avoided.

dumbass

glad yall get something out of em, cheers.

madelgado
01-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Great! Many thanks!

madno
01-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Many thanks. Just watched the LW 11 sampling video and can now go and change my settings to something usefull :-)

allabulle
01-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Thanks!

OnlineRender
01-15-2012, 03:15 PM
legend!

speismonqui
01-15-2012, 08:25 PM
thanks RebelHill, that rendering, sampling and aa video is superb. Add to this the "must" except Lw guide and we have no reason not to make beautifull renders out of LW.

Thanks a lot man (again)

Fadlabi
01-16-2012, 12:23 AM
Thanks!

Cageman
01-16-2012, 03:11 AM
Good stuff RH! :thumbsup:

dee
01-16-2012, 03:54 AM
Thanks, very informative. :thumbsup:

safetyman
01-16-2012, 10:28 AM
You rock! :rock: Thanks!

raw-m
01-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Really nice! Have NT fixed any of those mac issues you've specified on your site, or given indication they will be fixed, esp with LW11 coming soon?

ivanze
01-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Nice tutorial, thnx a lot!!

RebelHill
01-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Really nice! Have NT fixed any of those mac issues you've specified on your site, or given indication they will be fixed, esp with LW11 coming soon?

yes, must change the main page.

I added the updates to the faq... basically its only the one rig, and only in the 10.0 and 9.61 releases of LW, other versions are fine.

stevecullum
01-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Great share! Thanks

mborge
01-18-2012, 02:14 AM
Thanks Bro! May karma do you right!

prometheus
01-18-2012, 07:00 AM
Downloaded the free version to test on some objects, one free goblin obj from turbosquid and one exported daz figure, these were obj format, saved in lwo again, and I tried to click on riggit free.

But I do get complaints about this is not a RHriggit compatible scene or rig?
What am I missing here? restrictions on the free version or?

Lightwave 10.0 64 bit
Windows 7

Michael

RebelHill
01-18-2012, 10:31 AM
What you're missing is that RHiggit operates on predefined/template scenes. You load the provided template scene, swap mesh for your own, and reposition the rig in from there, running the plugin to switch back n forth between rig/edit mode.

Tbh, I dont really like describing it as a plugin so much as a toolset... all the "plugin" really does is pull the rig apart/stitch it back together to get you in and out of edit mode.

Also make sure to check the docs too so as you've got the correct weights, etc added to your mesh.

wyattharris
01-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the vids. Once again, my mind made Unified Sampling out to be something much more complicated than it really is.

GraphXs
01-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Great Video, for characters and GI do you just Brute Force it to get clean GI? Doesn't that take forever to render?

I did some test like you showed and had some trouble cleaning up the noise. Is it because I was using GI? The only way to get ride of it was putting the lighting samples higher. I put 2048 for AA and .01 for AS and even tried .005 AS and the noise was still there? What didn't I do correct?

RebelHill
01-20-2012, 05:08 AM
Well the example i show of using only 8 rpe for radiosity is probs pushing it a lil too far... but you can certainly get good results this way with lower rpe values (32,64)... no need for a couple hundred at least... though a lot depends on the scene as well, the amount of detail, etc.

There's also another trick for GI (where using aa/as to cleanup niose can also help, but its not the main trick) where you use interpolated rad, but push the rpe/srpe stupid high, like 2000-3000, but set the GI resolution down to 50 or 25%, that can work well for animated scenes, or ofc animation that interpolated gi usually doesnt support, like deforms.

Also dont forget that there's BG only GI. Often for characters, Ill create an HDRI of their surroundings... render the bg using one GI method, then the character separate using bg only brute force, with as to make it clean.

mav3rick
01-20-2012, 05:13 AM
very good RH!

GraphXs
01-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Well the example i show of using only 8 rpe for radiosity is probs pushing it a lil too far... but you can certainly get good results this way with lower rpe values (32,64)... no need for a couple hundred at least... though a lot depends on the scene as well, the amount of detail, etc.

There's also another trick for GI (where using aa/as to cleanup niose can also help, but its not the main trick) where you use interpolated rad, but push the rpe/srpe stupid high, like 2000-3000, but set the GI resolution down to 50 or 25%, that can work well for animated scenes, or ofc animation that interpolated gi usually doesnt support, like deforms.

Also dont forget that there's BG only GI. Often for characters, Ill create an HDRI of their surroundings... render the bg using one GI method, then the character separate using bg only brute force, with as to make it clean.

Nice tip! How do create the hdri from the backgrnd renders? Do u just use one of the images?

RebelHill
01-22-2012, 04:36 AM
simple... I either use one of the advanced/real lens cameras to produce a 360deg render... or I just create a 100% reflective ball and do a "virtual" mirrorball shoot. Saving the image in HDR/EXR ofc.

archijam
01-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Rebel - Fantastic videos - especially the LW11 AA vid!

Not sure if I missed something in your vid (I tend to "multitask" ;) when watching tutes), but did you mention the settings changes when changing from a very low res render (800x600 early test) to print resolution? Because it is 'pixel-sample-based', the LW AA, I imagine the settings would change a lot on the same scene at different resolutions .. no?

I will re-watch it to confirm, but .. it is 45 mins long. Gotta find a chance to watch in one sitting :thumbsup:

Cheers!

RebelHill
01-22-2012, 01:17 PM
No I dont mention it... but since u ask.

Basically teh "space" as viewed by the camera is broken down into pixels, each pixel having so many samples. If you increase resolution then what you're doing is creating more samples effectively of that space (if u were to assume 1 sample per pixel).

Therefore what ull tend to find is that certain shots, which depends on shaders, shadows, etc will each require a certain number of samples to reach a given quality... bu the overall number of samples needed for that will be about the same... so rendering a higher res will often require fewer samples per pixel than lower res would do (increasing res to this extent is somewhat like adding "sub-pixels")

More however... this is where Adaptive Sampling comes into its own, as it can be used to direct where extra samples get placed, based on a threshold value between any given pixel and its neighbours. Therefore getting renders down to their best optimised state using AS will allow you to scale the resolution of the render up or down without needing to manually change settings, as the renderer will auto adjust itself.

archijam
01-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks - great info indeed! :thumbsup:

Edit: Do you have a paypal or something for donations? I know this info will literally save me hours and hours ... :thumbsup:

aidenvfx
01-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Great Render and AA video very useful thanks.

RebelHill
01-23-2012, 06:19 AM
Well u can do a buy/cancel on any of the products on my site to get my paypal user/info if u really want... but honestly there's no need, I put my free stuff up to be free. Not that Im ungrateful for the sentiment though, so thanks for that.