PDA

View Full Version : BVH Again

Richard Hebert
01-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Hi guys, I'm still using 9.6 and I've gotten BVH files to work finally with a lot of trial and mostly error. Now, I'm needing to edit the mocap to keep feet from sliding etc. There's a lot out there for Mocap editing but no tuts for LightWave that I could locate. Can someone here direct me to a tutorial that's LightWave specific for editing Mocap? Thanks for all the help over the years.

Richard

Greenlaw
01-14-2012, 09:52 PM
I use Motion Builder to work with mocap for Lightwave. I don't know what kind of magic is going on in this program but feet sliding hasn't been an issue even when I retarget my motions to grotesquely proportioned characters. MB can be a bit pricey unless you get the educational version, but it's probably the best mocap editing program available.

On the 'affordable' end, there's Jimmy|Rig Pro, which has an anti-skating plug-in that's supposed to work pretty well. I haven't used J|R in a couple of years and haven't really worked with the Pro version yet, but there are a few J|R users here so hopefully they'll pop in soon to comment.

With either program, you import .bvh and export .fbx (MB and J|R P) or .lws (J|R P), then you import the motion data from the file directly to your rigged character in LW using LFS Merge Only Motion Envelopes. This is much cleaner and easier to do than importing the .bvh directly into LW.

Of course if your mocap is 'slidey' to begin with that can be a bit of a headache to fix. What are you using to capture your motions? I use iPi DMC, which is inexpensive and does a reasonably decent job in preventing feet sliding.

If your planning to do a lot of mocap work in LW, you might seriously consider upgrading to 10.1 or higher. FBX support in 10.1 is far superior to previous versions of LW and it makes working with mocap a whole lot easier. I nearly gave up on my 'home brew' mocap projects until I got to work with 10.1, which opened up a whole new world for me. Ever since 10.1 came out, I feel like I can stop worrying so much about the technical part of indie mocap filmmaking and concentrate on the fun creative part.

Hope that helps.

G.

Richard Hebert
01-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Hey thanks for the rapid response! I've got some Mocap from the Carnegie Mellon Univ. The mocap isn't terrible but I do need to tweak a couple of areas. The foot slide is fairly minimal but I remember tuts that dealt with locking feet down. I believe it might have been for Motion Builder (which is way out of budget right now). I'm working on a personal project so I was looking for a method from within LightWave. Someone mentioned on the forum that IKB was no longer supported in LW 10 and I was using that to reduce and edit keyframes. It hasn't been successful and most of that is probably my inexperience. Do you have any thoughts regarding IKB or is that a dead end for mocap corrections? BTW, JRPro may be an option money wise so thanks for the heads up on that. I forgot to mention that the bvh goes to Animeeple for export as Collada file into LW. Don't have the FBX exporter and they're out of business now.

RebelHill
01-15-2012, 07:43 AM
forget it all...

Ikinema web animate!!!

and the fbx exchange tuts on my site/YT.

Greenlaw
01-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Ikinema web animate!!!

Really? It's that good? I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Will check out your newest videos later today. :)

G.

RebelHill
01-15-2012, 10:48 AM
not as MB obv, but better than animeeple Id say sure. Plus fbx out is there, and going from animeeple to 9.6 is a horrid mess, you really need 10+ for animeep.

but the whole LW side of the process as I do it for MB and animeep is no different when using webanimate either, so its an easy, familiar workflow.

Richard Hebert
01-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Sounds like a great program but Windows only. I'm looking into JimmyRigger for a Mac solution at the moment. I will eventually invest in BootCamp but funding is not here at the moment.

RebelHill
01-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Ahh...

well, animeeple is ok for mac, and I think still just available... http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=1206130&postcount=36

thats good for mac, and is ok so long as ur using 10+ make sure to check out the tuts while they're still around if u can find em, so u can see how to clean up feet, and do layered edits with edit blocks.

u can fbx too by using autodesks free fbx converter on the colladas if you want.

as for ikb, its not unsupported per sť, its just not that well known, or that widely used and in demand for support and so on, meaning many bugs have slipped though the net... is what it is I guess.

RebelHill
01-15-2012, 02:16 PM

Richard Hebert
01-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the input Rebel... Always a pleasure to here from all of you.

Richard

Greenlaw
01-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Sounds like a great program but Windows only.
It seems odd that a browser based service would be platform specific. Are you sure Webanimate is Windows only? Not saying that it isn't, just wondering out loud.

G.

Greenlaw
01-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Ah, okay, I found the info in their press release: currently for Windows, Mac and Linux to follow later this year.

WaxSteel
03-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Did you have any luck with IKinema's webanimate and lightwave 9.6? I can get neither the collada or fbx exports to play back in LW 9.6, though they seem to work in my LW11 demo software.

I'm guessing its down to the version of FBX that IKinema webanimate exports & LW 11's updated FBX handling?

If that's the case, is 9.6 a waste of effort regarding newer FBX files generated by IKinema & other recent mocap retargeting solutions such as JimmyRig?

silviotoledo
03-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Another good solution is JIMMYRIG

http://youtu.be/mBWEu_V0IrQ

RebelHill
03-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Did you have any luck with IKinema's webanimate and lightwave 9.6? I can get neither the collada or fbx exports to play back in LW 9.6, though they seem to work in my LW11 demo software.

I'm guessing its down to the version of FBX that IKinema webanimate exports & LW 11's updated FBX handling?

If that's the case, is 9.6 a waste of effort regarding newer FBX files generated by IKinema & other recent mocap retargeting solutions such as JimmyRig?

There was a rotation order thing coming out of animeeple for LW versions pre 10.1 that made that workflow a no go... dont know if webanimate suffers the same. If u follow the workflow out of LW and into webaniamte first, then since it outputs fbx, it should be fine in earlier versions Id have thought.

The one thing that may be up, as u mention, is the fbx version (I still always use only the 2006, but thats fine as all Im ever interested in is just the skeletal animation)... You might however try ADs FBX converter (free), as that'll let u convert between different fbx versions and collada, so u can try taking ur webaniamte outputs, and converting them and trying the resultant files in 96.

WaxSteel
03-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Thanks RebelHill

Converting IKinema's FBX to 2006 with AD's converter worked a charm.
Still some life in 9.6 then....

jasonwestmas
03-09-2012, 12:06 PM
forget it all...

Ikinema web animate!!!

and the fbx exchange tuts on my site/YT.

Wow cool! I just learned about this today, I gotta try that out too. ^.^

rcallicotte
03-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Cool. Thanks. It looks like the price has gone up, since this video was made.

Another good solution is JIMMYRIG

http://youtu.be/mBWEu_V0IrQ

Richard Hebert
03-09-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm opting for JimmyRig and LW11 for mocap. I'll have to reboot the Mac in PC mode for the capture but unless someone knows of issues, it seems the best solution for the resources I have available.

Richard

rcallicotte
03-11-2012, 09:48 AM
You might wait and see what RebelHill comes up with - http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=1227651#post1227651

I'm opting for JimmyRig and LW11 for mocap. I'll have to reboot the Mac in PC mode for the capture but unless someone knows of issues, it seems the best solution for the resources I have available.

Richard

Richard Hebert
03-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Ahhh... I see. OK, I'll hold off until LW 11 and then check into Rebel Hill's solution. Thanks for the reminder.

Richard