PDA

View Full Version : UV seams?

stevenpalomino
01-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Hey all,

I thought I remembered there being updates on UV mapping in LW? I haven't had to use it for a while, but now that I need to it seems there was a way to add seems without needing the plg uv plugins.

*edit*

Ok so it looks like the UV tools were in CORE and not in LW.. Why didn't they put these features in LW 11?

jasonwestmas
01-14-2012, 08:02 PM
They were buggy and they pulled them out before they released LW9.5 I think it was. It's still a mystery as to why NT refuses or is unable to get solid UV tools in modeler.

stevenpalomino
01-15-2012, 09:36 AM
That's just not cool. I can understand overlooking minor parts of a 3D package that are more luxury features.. but UVs are a huge part of the process :S

Snosrap
01-15-2012, 08:35 PM
That's just not cool. I can understand overlooking minor parts of a 3D package that are more luxury features.. but UVs are a huge part of the process :S

I think they want to do it right or not do it at all. I use PLG UV tools to great success.

Waves of light
01-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Yep, nothing LW vanilla will help produce UVs with decent seams. I drop between PLG and 3DCoat.

I must admit, after reading a post on the NT forums re. how to use PLG correctly, it has become a lot quicker process. Basically I use the 'points' selection mode and the middle mouse button, advance edge and incrementally save edges so that when I do a 'make UV' and it crashes, I can easily load in the last saved set of edges (or one previous if the last set was causing the crash).

Ricky.

CaptainMarlowe
01-16-2012, 01:03 PM
I remember reading a post from one of Newtek guys (I don't remember who) during the 10.0 test period and he said, you can go with plg tools right now until we get proper UV tools.
Except for mac users, of course. This is definitely annoying, being forced to jump to 3D-coat just to get decent UVs

thomascheng
01-16-2012, 05:08 PM
The standard way to make UV in LW is to use the PLG tools. It is free, compatible, and awesome. At this point, I rather they focus on other parts of LW before they tackle the UV feature. Native UV isn't as high of a priority due to PLG. Beside, I'm sure it make more sense to get modeler into layout before they start writing a decent UV tool. Otherwise, they will have to write it twice.

stevenpalomino
01-16-2012, 05:14 PM
?? I didn't know they were trying to combine Lightwave and layout? I knew they were trying to build Core to be the "one app".. but i kind of enjoy having two separate apps..

CaptainMarlowe
01-16-2012, 10:42 PM
The standard way to make UV in LW is to use the PLG tools. It is free, compatible, and awesome. At this point, I rather they focus on other parts of LW before they tackle the UV feature. Native UV isn't as high of a priority due to PLG. Beside, I'm sure it make more sense to get modeler into layout before they start writing a decent UV tool. Otherwise, they will have to write it twice.

Except you don't take into consideration the fact that PLG tools has stopped working on Mac for years. So for Mac users, UV tools are a very high priority, because they are currently a workflow killer.
I agree on the second part of your post, though.