PDA

View Full Version : Water That Sticks

daz1761
01-14-2012, 08:19 AM
I am trying to perform an animation that has an character object that drools very slightly from its mouth, and I was wondering what the best way was to go around this? or any relevent tutorials that was near to what I want to do?

Many thanks!

jasonwestmas
01-14-2012, 09:41 AM
This may or may not work for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB1rljx-Lw0

daz1761
01-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Thanks,

Yeah, that looks as tho its the one, just need to try and get it working on my character. The only thing that worries me is that the tutorial starts with everything nicely in the center in a nice clean empty scene. My character is animated and moving all over the axis

Cheers

jasonwestmas
01-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Well tbh, If you want something like thick shoe strings of slobber, it would probably just be best to setup some bone chain geometry and deform the drool that way. Then add particles (using the slobber geometry as an emitter) to simulate the droplets of saliva with Hypervoxels. The collision detection for particles should be ok enough to do this, doesn't matter if the character is moving or not as long as you calculate the PFX dynamics using the head as a collision object.

daz1761
01-14-2012, 02:54 PM
I think ill have to tbh

Ive just tried that tutorial and straight away there were problems as im using morphs, bones, etc plus I only want the drool to kick in at frame 800-900 as my scene is 0-900 frames.

Also my character is all-in-one, as in not just the head as a separate surface and the mouth has its own surface that morphs, very complicated

Is it worth trying what you said with the magic bevel tool and maybe rendering it in a separate scene as images with the alpha so it can be faded in using After Effects maybe?

Thanks

jasonwestmas
01-14-2012, 03:17 PM
If all you need is a little raising of the surface, I would just try an animated surface property with displacement or normal mapping and specular. You can fade the effect in and out using textures (I'm just not sure how thick you need the drool to be. And I have no idea how your deformations are going to look around the mouth but. . .) You can have the drool particles emit from an invisible object where that texture is. Sounds more simple that it is, I know but it seems to me you should be able to weightmap the drool object so it conforms to the face deformations. Or just use a surface texture layer over your skin material.

daz1761
01-15-2012, 07:03 AM
Thanks

I suppose there are lots of ways to go about it

Here is a picture of my scene between 800-900 frames