PDA

View Full Version : Attn; IKBoost users/animators!!!

RebelHill
01-13-2012, 04:55 AM
So if you're a fan/user of the IKBoost tools in LW, you may have noticed that things got a bit broken in LW10, and these same bugs have remained so far in LW11.

Now as some of you will no doubt know, Ive been no big fan of IKB, but always defended it for certain uses (mostly editing mocap, and the dynamics stuff)... and so much as imagining the demise of IKB may creep a smile across my face, the idea of losing any functionality from LW does not by any means.

Anyhow, long story short, I shot a lil love note to the guys at NT, who ofc asked for bug reports/case numbers detailing problems observed.

Even though I know IKB enough to know the basics of how to use it, I was never that embedded in it to really find all the workflows, and ways of using it its best advantage, and as a result (not forgetting the time factor) I CANT go fining all the breaks and bugs alone...

SO PLEASE... if any of you guys can do so, please do, and get as much detail and content as you can, and send it to...

[email protected]

Cheers all.

Ryan Roye
01-14-2012, 08:26 PM
I'm a fanboy of IKB obviously and it is integrated into my entire workflow... but wasn't it originally an extensive 3rd party plugin that Newtek purchased? I would think that would make doing any revisions or fixes much, much harder from a programming standpoint, and it would explain why IKbooster hasn't really received any meaningful updates.

I can think of a handful of reproducible bugs just off the top of my head which are extremely frustrating if you don't know how to fix them (one fix involves opening up the scene in notepad and editing a value... wtf!?). Others are just annoying things that i've learned to live with (ikbooster mode coming on without pressing ctrl-b is a big one).

I'm using 9.6 but do plan on using 10+ eventually... I figure my bug reports would be more relevant if I were using a more current version, but I'll do my part.

Finally, just as a reference I wouldn't mind knowing an example of what breaks when using lw 10/11 versus 9.6. It would be a deal breaker for me if no click-drag functionality existed in LW 10+.

erikals
01-14-2012, 09:18 PM
well, the programmer that made the IKB plugin is out of reach, so not sure what NT could do. in earlier posts they claimed that this was a big problem, and made it hard to fix IKB.

i'm a fan of the IKB gizmos for controlling simple things, but they are super-basic, so they should be intact in LW11.

imo what NT should do is make a IKB that works, this means building it from scratch.
until then...

Ryan Roye
01-14-2012, 10:57 PM
well, the programmer that made the IKB plugin is out of reach, so not sure what NT could do...

I was hoping someone would say I was wrong about that :(

RebelHill
01-15-2012, 07:40 AM
Well so far as Ive seen pinning/fixing doesnt work right in !0+... which basically makes IKB useless.

I have no idea how much the NT devs can or cant do with it to fix, if its just bugs crept in from the motion system then maybs they can get it back to 9.6 standards.

What I do know is that they're interested in doing what they can... so report, report, report.

Chaz... if u know it well, but dont have 10... at least get down the demo version/run it in discovery mode so u can see whats different and report if poss.

cheers.

silviotoledo
01-15-2012, 07:16 PM
I disagree to the fact of having several different tools that does not work complete.

Sound like having the cool tools from Vertex Paint wich works inside modeler but is not integrated with modeler.

The best is to have IKB funcionalities in the LW bones itself.

Once IKB is a bit old and discontinued, its really necessary Newtek incorporate its concept to actual bone systems.

Also joints should be an option to bones too. Not a totally different system. So please do that order correction.

The hability to apply full IK, weight, fix, pin, dynamic and others auto mated keyframable with a second mouse click on IKB is really amazing.