PDA

View Full Version : Installing Lightwave 8

Oberonsson
01-11-2012, 11:58 AM
I am trying to get back into Lightwave after having been away for quite a long time. I upgraded to 8 for the Mac back around 2005 but never really installed it. My older Mac still has 6.5 on it, and of course I have the dongle. I have the original box for the version 8 upgrade, include the Vue 5 Infinite disks. In a perfect world I would like to transfer my version 8 to either my XP or my new Win7 machine and get a chance to play with version 8 before I upgrade. I tried to officially register but I don't seem to have all of the right serial numbers, the numbers on the dongle in particular being a bottleneck. I suspect it is just too old a number. My original account was probably listed under [email protected] Can you help?

nickdigital
01-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Calling customer service would be the best route to get help.
http://www.newtek.com/contact-us.html

biliousfrog
01-12-2012, 01:33 AM
Is it a USB dongle?

If it was an upgrade the number on the dongle would be from your original purchase, the upgrade's serial would be on the packaging that the disc came in.

Dexter2999
01-12-2012, 01:43 AM
When you say "numbers on the dongle" you mean the ones printed on the dongle? Or the Dongle ID that should come up when you select the Register function in Layout?

You have to register separately for Mac, Win32bit, and Win64bit. A unique number is issued for each registration even if they are all for the same dongle. You could install version 8 on any and all of the machines you mentioned (is there a 64bit version of 8?...well if there was/is you could/can)

Good Luck

AndrewMarch
01-13-2012, 12:54 AM
The serial number is usually printed on the inside of your CD/DVD case. The dongle id would have been emailed to you when you registered the product.

I would contact customer support.

biliousfrog
01-13-2012, 02:47 AM
I thought that I could remember the dongle having a printed tag with the serial on it but I'm not so sure now, perhaps it was Messiah's or another app?...Mine was removed anyway.

dwburman
01-13-2012, 08:32 PM
With my Purple Rainbow Duo dongle, I get two numbers (Win32, Win64 and Mac64 have the same number, but Mac32 is different).

If you've upgrade your Mac to Lion, you won't be able to run LW8 on it. LightWave didn't get a Universal Binary (or Intel Native) version until around 9.3 and Apple dropped support of the old app structure with Lion.

JonW
01-13-2012, 10:23 PM
My original dongle was for Mac only with LW6.5 Got back in with LW9 upgrade & they changed the dongle at no extra charge. I don't know if it works with the old LW, never tried, LW9.6/10/11 are so much quicker.

If you can afford it upgrade to LW11 when it's out! In the meantime phone Newtek they actually have real people and are helpful which is a lot more than you can say for most companies.

Oberonsson
02-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help. I will call Tech Support. Right now I just needs some good basic bone, IK, and animation work for meshes I am learning to do in Zbrush. A good pipeline process? I have no idea, but will try...

wrench
02-08-2012, 01:42 PM
LightWave 11 has GoZ so that would be a good thing for you. All LightWave licences contain versions for Windows and Mac platforms anyway, so it's not either or.

B