PDA

View Full Version : Morph based on distance to a nul, part 2

patrickkelly
01-10-2012, 04:24 PM
I want to drive a morph based on the distance to a nul.

There are a few solutions already available, but what I want to do is a little different.

Imagine a wart being burned off your hand with a red hot poker, a little at a time, until it's gone.

I want the morph to stay morphed when I move the nul away, even though the morph is not yet 100% complete. And then I want to morph some more, until it is completely morphed.

Any ideas?

You got to love these medical videos. Some weird **** every day.

Thanks,
Patrick

j-mation
01-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Use dynamic parenting under the motion modifiers.
Here's an example.

Captain Obvious
01-10-2012, 06:31 PM
It's quite easy to do with node displacements. You can access morph maps inside the node system, so you can simply modulate the strength of the morph map based on the distance from the point to a null of your choosing.

khan973
01-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Wow! Thanks J-Mation, I didn't know that!!!

patrickkelly
01-11-2012, 08:57 AM
First I would like to thank j-mation and Captain Obvious for their reply. I did not do a good job of explaining myself, as usual, so here is a movie of what I am trying to do.

http://www.patrickkellystudios.com/HELPME/Test2.mov

In this movie I have a 3d object and am generating particles based on the points in the geometry (thanks Nick Digital). The particles have a hypervoxel surface.

The cutting device (in this case inserted thru the vagin*a) uses a null to kill particles it comes in contact with.

This solution sort of works, but as you can see, when the particles die, it flickers a tad.

What I am really trying to do is eliminate the flickering, and I had hoped I could use a morph to do so.

The cutter will eventually need to sweep back and forth over the fibroid, like buttering a slice of bread. All the while removing bits and pieces as it goes.

I think I might take up gardening as a career, or become a beer taster.

Thanks,
Patrick

patrickkelly
01-11-2012, 10:15 PM
I am wondering if another program, like 3D coat would be of benefit? Any 3D coat users want to chime in?

patrickkelly
01-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Just wondering if this can actually be done in LW.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick

jeric_synergy
01-13-2012, 12:00 PM
I want the morph to stay morphed when I move the nul away, even though the morph is not yet 100% complete. And then I want to morph some more, until it is completely morphed.

Any ideas?
I think this particular requirement is reaching too far: what we create after all, is an ILLUSION. Keyframing an invisible null doesn't exactly break the illusion.

That requirement just complicates things needlessly.