PDA

View Full Version : Saving a default scene

Philbert
01-10-2012, 08:00 AM
You can save a scene with your preferred camera setup, lighting, whatever and LightWave will always load that scene when it starts. I remember doing this in the past but now I don't remember where to put the file. Can someone remind me? For all I know it's even in a different spot in 10.1.

Matt
01-10-2012, 11:23 AM
You can save a scene with your preferred camera setup, lighting, whatever and LightWave will always load that scene when it starts. I remember doing this in the past but now I don't remember where to put the file. Can someone remind me? For all I know it's even in a different spot in 10.1.

Same as it has always been:

YOUR_CONTENT_DIR/scenes/default.lws

There is also a 'Save Scene As Default' menu option.

Philbert
01-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Huh... So you have make a copy of it for every content directory you make? That's not much of a default.

xchrisx
01-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Makes sense to me. Different projects require different setups which may only be good for that project. So content directory is the best way I can see to do it.

Philbert
01-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Well, I would like to have a real default because 90% of the time I start with the Perspective D1 NTSC camera so it would make sense to me that LightWave always start with that camera already enabled.

01-10-2012, 04:21 PM
And you can always just use the options tab to set your default camera etc.etc,

Philbert
01-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Thank you, I guess that's what I was looking for. I had it set for so long I guess I forgot how I got it that way. A default scene would be better though since you'd obviously have more choices.

tburbage
01-11-2012, 12:31 AM
A workaround would be to create a scene file somewhere and make it read-only, and specify it on the Layout command line. I tried this out and LW still starts up with the last set content directory active even though loading the startup scene from somewhere else...

Philbert
01-11-2012, 05:31 AM
I'll have to look into that.

Matt
01-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Makes sense to me. Different projects require different setups which may only be good for that project. So content directory is the best way I can see to do it.

Exactly.

Philbert
01-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Though often different projects do require all the same or similar setups. Suppose all you do is product shots, chances are your settings for every project will be similar.

dee
01-17-2012, 05:05 AM

Makes sense but, why not make it flexible? If there's a default.lws in content directory, use that, if not use the one in e.g Lightwave directory.

Greenlaw
08-10-2014, 04:24 AM
Same as it has always been:

YOUR_CONTENT_DIR/scenes/default.lws

There is also a 'Save Scene As Default' menu option.

I was just looking for Save Scene As Default. Was it removed?

G.

Edit: Okay, found it. I guess it's not part of the standard menus--had to add it myself.

Greenlaw
08-10-2014, 04:47 AM
Is this command broken? I tried it but it's not saving anything. I guess it's no big deal to save a Default scene manually but I was just wondering.

G.

Greenlaw
08-10-2014, 04:57 AM
Oh, wait...I see it does work. I was looking under the root of the content directory, not the Scenes directory. D'oh!

However, I had re-positioned my camera to a different location for the Default scene, but Layout is apparently not reading this part of the data.

Greenlaw
08-10-2014, 05:00 AM
Yeah, even manually saving the Default scene doesn't make Layout load the desired Camera position automatically.

G.

jeric_synergy
08-14-2014, 01:03 AM
Yeah, even manually saving the Default scene doesn't make Layout load the desired Camera position automatically.
G.
That's a bug: no matter what anybody says, a default scene should load exactly like any other scene, including the Camera position. --Are you sure? That's a huge gaff. And an odd bug.

EDIT: doesn't save a light position change either. Loads normally, but doesn't seem to be autoloading. Time to look at the dox I guess.

Greenlaw
08-14-2014, 07:40 AM
I looked it up. It's actually two bugs ore the manually is incorrect. When you use the Save as Default, it's supposed to save to save the file the Root of the Content Directory. Not sure if it's a typo or a plugin error but the file actually gets saved to the Scene folder in the Content Directory. And then there's the issue with position of default items.

I agree about the auto-loading--I haven't fully tested it but it doesn't appear that the default.lws scene is looked at at all in 11.6.2. Will try to report it today.

G.

ernpchan
08-15-2014, 12:09 PM
Saving and loading a default scene looks to work in 11.6.3.

jeric_synergy
08-15-2014, 12:16 PM
ernpchan, I tried it both in the content/scenes/ and the Content/ dirs, didn't work here.

Is it supposed to be somewhere else? Where is yours?

The scene loaded normally fine, so I know it's valid.

ernpchan
08-15-2014, 12:29 PM
I loaded Layout, added a null, animated it. When to save it as a default. Made sure my Layout options were set to 'Clear Scene to default'. Cleared Layout and it loaded up that default file. Even when I close out of Layout and relaunch it Layout still loads up that default scene. It saved a default.lws file in the root of my Scenes folder.

jeric_synergy
08-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Sounds pretty much like what I did, I'll give it another whirl when I'm not #afc. :(

I never have used that feature as much as I should, which would mostly be for setting Camera settings.

Greenlaw
08-15-2014, 03:48 PM
That's what I did the other day but it's not working here either. Very strange. I'll try again later.

G.

gaushell
08-10-2015, 03:36 PM
I can't get default scene to work anymore. worked in all other versions. broken.

probiner
10-26-2015, 02:17 PM
Stopped working for me all of the sudden too. Trashed configs, re-install, nada

Solutions? :/

jeric_synergy
10-26-2015, 02:23 PM
Hop on the report, boys.

probiner
10-29-2015, 07:24 PM
I'm on 11.6.x ;)

probiner
02-21-2016, 03:50 AM
I missed the Clear Scene to Default in general options bit, all good now... Thanks Ernest.

magiclight
02-22-2016, 01:01 AM
I had to remove the "Save as default" menu item, I don't know how many times I clicked that one by mistake when I should have clicked "Save all" (no, I don't use keyboard that much as I have a Wacom tablet so I use the menus most of the time).