PDA

View Full Version : Kinect coming to a PC near you soon

Qexit
01-10-2012, 06:07 AM
This may be old news, but it looks like Microsoft have got the message about people other than XBox owners wanting access to the Kinect:

http://videogames.virginmedia.com/news/kinect_for_windows_to_launch_february_1.html

Not too sure about the pricing at $249 but it certainly looks interesting :)

Afalk
01-10-2012, 07:09 AM
awesome news - thanks for the heads up!

LW_Will
01-10-2012, 10:42 AM
I have a few problems... the new Kinect for Windows is $249.99, which is $150 more than you can get the original version ($100 for a reconditioned, game less unit).

The new Kinect unit clains certain upgrades, but nothing that is a new technology... I'd say not actually a v2.0, more like v1.5. So, I'm a little confused as to a $150 upgrade for something that doesn't actually have any software that it could use. (Anybody remember those days when we would add BOARDS along with mice and use the mouse only with MS Word?)

Also, I'm a little confused as to adding more than one Kinect to a pc. Would you be able to use 2 Kinects with iPi's software? Not sure. It may not even work with the basic software from anyone... the drivers are different.

Having said that... it was a very bad keynote address. Ryan Secrest? Really??

I may be wrong. It could work as easily as a mouse or a bitpad, but I'll have to be convinced.

erikals
01-10-2012, 03:37 PM
i wonder too, why should i get this one instead of the old one?...

no big improvements as far as i can see,..

LW_Will
01-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Heard on TWiT today...

The PC version of the Kinect is a) Smaller and b) has a close mode switch, so you can, um, use it close... ::shrug::

Seems to me that it is a sort of new thing that kinda seems like its not worth it.

Two Kinects... that's the way to go...

Titus
01-11-2012, 10:02 PM
MS sells the Xbox at a loss, maybe the same happens with the Kinect.

Skonk
01-12-2012, 10:50 AM
It's effectively subsidised by the sales of games on the xbox and that isn't the case with a PC only version.

LW_Will
01-12-2012, 03:17 PM
MS sells the Xbox at a loss, maybe the same happens with the Kinect.

They did, but by this version it is mostly profit. You can get some components, like hard drives for MUCH less than the "official" MS stuff.

I THINK when they announced what would've become the Kinect (It was announced as a product from an other company) was listed at around $100... $250? I don't know...

Lamont
01-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Not meant for consumers, meant for developers and comes with that type of support/SDK from MS.