PDA

View Full Version : Faster Animating

j-mation
01-09-2012, 02:43 AM
Why do we need to select a bone in bone mode. I would like to see that when you are in bone mode you simply drag a bone and it will rotate,scale or move depending on the tranform mode your in. You could still have select children with "shift + click" and select multiple bones with Ctrl and remove them with Alt.

Ryan Roye
01-09-2012, 04:09 AM
IKbooster does exactly what you are asking. Right click on any object and select "IKBooster", pressing ctrl-b switches to IKBooster mode and from here you can click-drag any bone (or object if in move-mode) you like.

I will say that IKbooster has a lot of quirks and issues to it so it does take a bit of getting used to, but even despite this I find the click-drag functionality vital to my workflow. To rotate things with this click-drag functionaity involves assigning XYZ controls to HPB controllers... scaling down the parent of a controller to something like 0.001 then scaling up the controller so that its visible allows you to move the controller (XYZ) without changing its position (because of how IKbooster scales position with size), resulting in rotational movement that follows your mouse movements in a very logical manner (IE: Click-dragging a character's head to the right could be made to make the character look right).

Check out this test rig (http://delura.tanadrine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/RudoRig.zip) (Instructions) (http://delura.tanadrine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/SampleRig.jpg), it demonstrates a character that utilizes IKbooster as its primary movement mechanism. It is by no means perfect but its a good example of what I'm talking about.

One final note: IKbooster's "Fix" feature is not meant to replace inverse kinematics, it is only meant to help to pose a character more quickly... example being "elbow-yank" controllers like on the rig.

j-mation
01-09-2012, 05:17 AM
I'm fully aware of IKbooster and yes it does have this feature but only at the expense of introducing other problems that you have to work around. I would like this feature on normal bones.

It could be a feature that is turned on or off in the preference panel that way if you don't want to use it you don't have to.

Ryan Roye
01-09-2012, 07:50 AM
In that case, it is something I wouldn't mind having either. I've managed to make it so that I can fix IKbooster's problems on the fly, but yeah it is a but I won't argue in the fact that its messy. This request pretty much applies to any 3d program I would use; many don't realize that 2 clicks and 1 keystroke (x5000+) can add up to days or even weeks worth of wasted time over the course of a project.

Also, face-joystick setups come to mind as this would also benefit greatly.