PDA

View Full Version : Promotional DVD Intro

Noclar7
10-17-2003, 02:27 PM
A couple of peices that are going to be in the promotional DVD short we are currently wrapping up. ( Same one with the 3D cat and all that). Compositing was done in after effects.

2.4mb DVD Menu Intro
http://www.halationstudios.com/rj/DVD_Intro.mov

13mb Timelapse Intro
http://www.halationstudios.com/rj/TimeLapse_Intro.mov

Cheers,
RJ

js33
10-17-2003, 05:43 PM
Cool. I really liked the timelapse one.
I thought the intro was cool but perhaps dragged a bit waiting for the logo screen.

Cheers,
JS

pauland
10-18-2003, 02:50 AM
I preferred the intro to the timelapse video!

To my eye there are a few problems with the timelapse composting, particularly the lettering on top of the studio building (the black box & lettering jump in relation to the film).

I tend to think the 3D letters used in the sequence jar a little with the film material, but that's just me.

After all I've said, I wish I could do it so well!

Paul

Zarathustra
10-18-2003, 09:39 AM
I'm basically going to echo pauland. The bouncing letters I thought may be the compression of the clip....

pauland
10-19-2003, 12:36 PM
Hi Jack, where's that wireframe of yours?

Paul

pauland
10-19-2003, 12:41 PM
Jack,

Perhaps you'd better put an apology onto the 'I modelled my cousin' forum first..

Paul

Noclar7
10-19-2003, 01:58 PM
hey all,

js33,

I think that could be a little tighter too eh,. it was really fast at first then I stretch the time again but maybe too much. I cant wait for that Dopesheet in 8!:D

pauland & Zarathustra

yeah, I still have to tweak that a bit for shakey text. I couldnt track it due to being a time lapse. Its weird though how it shifts even when on a stabalized tripod.. I will have to go in frame by frame again an tweak that. What do you think of the flow? I was also recomended to smooth the ending transition too. Alot of the jerky movement will be tweaked when we get our final audio as well so we'll see what happens.

Till then, heres another shot thats fairly close to completion:

1mb Cat Cross Street
http://www.halationstudios.com/rj/3DScn_02.mov

I dont want to sound sour but can we leave previous feelings behind here? It would have been impressive if that was a render jack but lets not talk about that here.

Cheers,
RJ

pauland
10-19-2003, 02:03 PM
I liked the cat crossing, but wasn't convinced it was real (if that was the intention!)

Paul

Noclar7
10-19-2003, 02:09 PM
jack,

The video was used as a backdrop for reference with front projection applied to some forground elements, then fur passes, shadow passes, and plate was composited in after effects.

pauland,

I am going for realism so I could use a couple refined comments. What do you find throws it off?

pauland
10-19-2003, 02:29 PM
I'm not sure why I didn't think it was a cat, but I can't recognise the shape as being a cat. I can't put my finger on it. Initially I had to turn up the brightness on my monitor to see the cat at all.

Not very helpfull, sorry.

Paul

Noclar7
10-19-2003, 02:45 PM
Yeah its been tough. It is a kitten, pure black, on a low lite street.
hense the bit of "overlighting". I'm playing off the live ation elements of the real cat to help with the believability.

here is the page with the progress of the kitten:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9532

with a actual picture of the live action couterpart on page 2

Here is a image of my layout for lighting this scene, nothing too complex:

mega maniac
10-19-2003, 03:41 PM
the cat seems to jusp way too far, especilly for a kitten.

mega maniac
10-19-2003, 03:51 PM
I have to say i have never seen a cat jump and then move immidiately after landing.

The cat should be off balance a little i agree, if not stop completely to regain balance then run off.

mega maniac
10-19-2003, 04:03 PM
yes, go strangle your dog :p

i suppose the only way to really tell is to get your cat and trrow it at you car bonnet, film it all then translate it to animaion.

Maybe you could stick little white balls to it and do some motion capture :p

stib
10-19-2003, 09:12 PM
it's the ol' Disney stylesquash and stretch (http://www.anticipation.info/texte/lasseter/principles2-1.html) thing. When your kitty jumps, it just continues its motion from when it was running, without much change in speed before or after the jump. This makes it seem too weightless. It needs some anticipation.

Add a bit of 'squash', just before the jump - ie the cat bending her back legs and squashing up like a spring. This will also add tension as the car approaches. Then a bit of 'stretch' as she flies through the air - stretching her front and back legs out, and then squash as she lands - her front end slows down as she hits the bonnet but her back end is still traveling faster.

Then she'll look a lot more like a real cat. Cats are great at squashing and stretching.

renderingfarmer
10-19-2003, 10:39 PM
I haven't had a chance to read through the whole cat thread yet, suffice to say I think you got the modeling done really nicely. My question is this: do you have a cat? I am lucky enough to live with about 16 and it become apparent how important their movement is, visually, to percieve it as a cat. The scene you've got there is technically very cool; I think you got the lighting/colors as good as they need to be, but the cat doesn't move as a cat would. In this case, it would be moving much faster, moving lower to the ground. They have a way of slinking around as I assume they'd do crossing the street at night in front of a car that would really improve your animaton here. Take a little time and watch a cat move around.

Noclar7
10-20-2003, 09:10 AM
Aye,

Thanks for all the comments cats..woka woka... err its monday morning..

Yeah, I failed to follow the one of the main rules of the illusion of life. A bit of squash and stretch is definetly in order as well as some anticipation. I think i was on the perception of the cat being scared and just bolting. The color matching can be tweaked a bit too as most of the darker colors absorbed some red hues from the DV cam.

Thanks again for all the C&C here in the forum, it really helps to push the work.

I've got about 7 more scenes I'll be shooting threw here soon.

RJ,

mega maniac
10-20-2003, 12:30 PM
what would be alot easyer is just to have the car go headlong into the cat

pauland
10-20-2003, 03:04 PM
Yes, but then there would be particle emitters and hypervoxels to worry about... ;-)