PDA

View Full Version : A bit of grain, lights

daz1761
01-08-2012, 08:11 AM
You are all probably sick of this picture now lol, but im coming to the end of the line with this scene and I was wondering why ive got a grainy shop window. There is a linear light over the meat and just one spot light on the scene atm

Thanks

Surrealist.
01-09-2012, 12:07 AM
Go to the Linear Light Properties and find the Quality setting in the General Tab. Up that until the grain smooths out. I think you can also use higher AA at some point to help smooth it out but AA alone won't fix it. I usually get up to 10 or above on the quality setting.

Also, another factor with Area lights is the distance from the surface. The closer the area light to the surface the more grain.

And then the size of the light relative to the surfaces in the scene. The larger the light the more grainy.

So Quality, size and distance are your causes.

daz1761
01-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks, ive boosted the quality and all seems a little better now, but will bear them 3 things in mind before my next project :)

Nigel_pl
01-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Hi there,

If you are using the real lens camera or perspective camera, try setting the AA level to 2, and the adaptive sampling level to 0.01 to remove the noise. Render times go up dramatically as the sampling level is lowered.

Regards,
Nigel