PDA

View Full Version : Project File format.

jasonwestmas
01-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Project file format. You know like messiah maya and every other program out there. Bundling. . .it's just cleaner.

jasonwestmas
01-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Might as well throw in a modle file format that includes a rig as well. Like Softimage does.

Sensei
01-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Current approach: save only what has changed - low disk access
Your approach: every time save everything..
Can you imagine this with scenes that have 100 MB of images or more?

jasonwestmas
01-09-2012, 07:33 AM
Current approach: save only what has changed - low disk access
Your approach: every time save everything..
Can you imagine this with scenes that have 100 MB of images or more?

It's more for file exchange with other team members and saving large animation scenes with a lot of objects. The file size doesn't get large till you have to compress the images inside the project file.

Afterall, it is industry standard for team players to have a project format.

Sensei
01-09-2012, 07:47 AM
You can't compress already compressed file. Result is poor or worser than not packed. Try compressing JPG for example in ZIP.. :)

However, LWO should have internal compression method.

Professionals use SVN when making large multiple team projects.
It will make sure that nobody overwrite other team work, and all will have latest versions of every file.
You can go back to previous version in any moment and check out who made every change and when (date) and description of change.

jasonwestmas
01-09-2012, 08:22 AM
You can't compress already compressed file. Result is poor or worser than not packed. Try compressing JPG for example in ZIP.. :)

However, LWO should have internal compression method.

Professionals use SVN when making large multiple team projects.
If will make sure that nobody overwrite other team work, and all will have latest versions of every file.
You can go back to previous version in any moment and check out who made every change and when (date) and description of change.

True, I'm on Tortoise for my work. . .I guess I'm just thinking it would be easier not having to explain what is in the scene and so one didn't have to worry about files getting lost during an exchange.

It's kinda the same reasoning as the texture collector plugin you made for us. Thanks btw. . .It's just faster and cleaner for complex scenes but not 100% necessary.

jasonwestmas
01-09-2012, 08:38 AM
I think I'd like a model format that has a rig inside of it above all else though. That merge scene stuff is kinda. . .slower and less clean.

Sensei
01-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Ask NewTek for this feature request
https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?42140_q6qaofhjj6lf6bd2
and 3rd party plug-ins developers will be able to put any data to LWO in custom chunks, so there will be possible to write plugin storing rig in LWO..

Danner
01-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Package Scene works pretty well to interchange scenes, objects and images to coworkers, and if you work with the packaged scene, only objects and scene are saved, so unless you add a new image that it's outside the package content it saves quickly. But you of course knew that.. I should not post when I haven't had much sleep =)