PDA

View Full Version : hello....should I?

Lightwave666
10-17-2003, 01:17 PM
Hello, new here..
work on a mac g4, 1.5 ram etc..
I'm thinking of purchasing Lightwave, is it truly a good buy?
Is it worth it for graphic design? easy to learn?
My main focus would be high-tech logo develpoment,
rave flyers etc..
What y'all think?

Is it Reaally worth it?
It's just a lot of money to drop, but I have it now and want re-assurance..
Thanks all.
n

meshmaster
10-17-2003, 01:42 PM
every bit worth it

slatr
10-17-2003, 02:37 PM
I think $795 is a good deal for mac users.

Easy to learn? No... and no 3d program is, but once you start to come to grips with it you can create some amazing images.

Slatr

Evan Warner
10-19-2003, 09:50 PM
I'm also in a bit of the same problem. My main purpose would be for 3d modeling and aimation for tv and video. I was all set to get LW when I came across Cinima 4D and Maya. Can somebody try and give me an unbiased opinion on this or point me somwhere where a comaprison is made. I read some reviews but they all fair quite well so i really don't know. Price is very important to me as well. Thnaks for all the help

WizCraker
10-19-2003, 11:15 PM
I was all set to get LW when I came across Cinima 4D and Maya. Can somebody try and give me an unbiased opinion

I've never used Cineima 4D so I will only say what I know about the others. However Maxon has recently become a major player and should not be left on the sideline.

I've used Maya since 2.5 and I've owned Lightwave since 5.0, They both are great packages. I'm not going to give you features as there are enough reviews and you can goto Alias's and Newtek's site to get info about their products. If I could afford Maya Unlimited I would have that in my arsenal right by Lightwave. That is the thing Maya Unlimited is $6999 and Lightwave is only $1595. The only major features the Lightwave is missing is NURBS, which can be argued either way if they are useful or not, and their FLUIDS system. Lightwave with the release of 8 will have the Rigid Dynamics, Particles, Cloth, and a simple Fur/Hair built into it [Hair at current state 7.5c is Sasquatch Lite from Worely]. If you have the money for Maya Unlimited then you need to set down read all the product features reviews and propraganda and decided which one you want, I nor anybody else here can sway how you spend your money as both are a powerful package.

Evan Warner
10-20-2003, 05:03 AM
Well, im like you i guess because I can't afford Maya unlimited. Would you consider LW 8 and Maya Complete (the $2000 one) to be on similar terms? right now im leaning towards LW becasue of the price. But thanks for everything

TyVole
10-20-2003, 05:28 AM
LightWave and especially Newtek are far from perfect, but LightWave, I believe, is the best value in 3d by far.

I haven't really used Maya much, but I received a pretty extensive personal demonstration of v5. I was blown away. I think Unlimited is way overpriced, but Complete is a very good deal. For $2,000, you get a very full-featured system. And even though it doesn't have the Cloth and Fur modules, you can produce cloth simulation through their softbody solution and hair through PaintFX; both of which appear at least as good as what comes with 7.5 in the box.

However, price can be deceptive. First of all, you can buy a used copy of LightWave legally. With Maya, you cannot. I've seen people selling 7.5 for as little as $400. The fact that you can sell LightWave if you move to something else adds tremendous value to your purchase. Secondly, with LightWave, you get unlimited free technical support; which, while not always being the best, is still quite helpful. With Maya, you get no technical support without paying a hefty maintenance fee. Not too long ago, they had a "special" deal offering support for something like $150, which meant you could ask them one question! Additionally, upgrades cost $895, and that's only if you own the very latest version.

Cinema 4d's pricing is also deceptive. To get everything that comes standard with LightWave, you'll have to buy Studio, which costs $2,500. Add hair, and you're close to $3,000. Of course, the pricing is modularized, but you never know what you're going to need.

Having said all this, you should definitely get the demos of all three and see which one you like the best.

Evan Warner
10-20-2003, 11:22 AM
Wow, thanks for all the info.

I have some questions , why exacly can't you resell maya? I was looking on ebay last night for it and was coming up with prices of $40 and I knew somthing was up. Is there a lightwave demo? I've been unable to find one. I just downlaoded the cinema 4D one last night. I can't afford $2000 so it sounds as though Maya is out and from what your saying while certain versions of Cinema may be cheaper, for what you get, Lightwave has all the features at a lower price.
You said you could get LW for $400? Thats off ebay right, the best deal form an actual store would be from new tek with the photoshop upgrade deal right? Thanks for all the info, im much less confused now =)

Titus
10-20-2003, 11:46 AM
I've used Maya for some years. I think it's great but designed for medium and big studios because of its complexity. It has more features than LW, I only liked the Unlimited version, the complete version is rather uncomplete (for my needs). I never liked the quality of its render, many problems with aliasing.

Lightwave is very good for small companies or even individuals like me..

Evan Warner
10-20-2003, 03:29 PM
Well its seems mor eand mor elike LW is the thing for me. like you titus, i'm just an individual so I guess that makes sence. i'm stilling wondering if there is a LW demo. ill look somemore but I haven't found one yet.

WizCraker
10-20-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Evan Warner
Well, im like you i guess because I can't afford Maya unlimited. Would you consider LW 8 and Maya Complete (the $2000 one) to be on similar terms? right now im leaning towards LW becasue of the price. But thanks for everything

No, Maya Complete does not include Advanced modeling tools, Cloth, Fur, or FLUIDS. Lightwave for $1595 comes with something similar to Cloth, Fur, and has Advanced Modeling tools.

WizCraker
10-20-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Evan Warner
Well its seems mor eand mor elike LW is the thing for me. like you titus, i'm just an individual so I guess that makes sence. i'm stilling wondering if there is a LW demo. ill look somemore but I haven't found one yet.

Lightwave demo is at ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/misc/LWDE.zip

TyVole
10-20-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by WizCraker
No, Maya Complete does not include Advanced modeling tools, Cloth, Fur, or FLUIDS. Lightwave for $1595 comes with something similar to Cloth, Fur, and has Advanced Modeling tools.

Maya Complete does come with something similar to Cloth (softbodies) and fur (PaintFX.)

Just curious -- what do you mean by "Advanced Modeling Tools"?

Evan Warner
10-20-2003, 06:13 PM
wow,
This really is a great community. Tons of thoughtful responses quickly, thats another reason to get LW =). thanks for the demo link wizcracker. I'm going to go check it out. Ae there some good tutorials that I can do with the demo to really explore the program?
Also, a few of the reviews mentioned that having the 2 apps in light wave( modler and animatior???) was one of the cons of LW. What do you guys have to say about that? Does it hep or hinder the whole process? Would you rather 1 integrated program? Thanks again for all the responeses!

slatr
10-20-2003, 06:37 PM
I do not think having modeler and layout separate is a con at all.

With programs this complex, I don't think I would ever be able to do anything if they were combined.

The menu complexity would be too much I believe.

Slatr

Titus
10-20-2003, 07:13 PM
I don't like to have two separated programs, but you can get used to it soon.

There was a time when they were two real separated programs, now since version 6 exits a centinel program called HUB, this is a bridge between them and is part of LW.

Evan Warner
10-21-2003, 05:01 PM
Ahh, thanks for all the help guys but whats up with this LW demo wiz? When i unzip it it just gives me this folder called
LWDE and inside are 2 foldrs, "media" and "fscammand'. There is a mac installer folder in the "media" folder but no installer. Instead there is a html file called LW_mac.html. That opens my browser to a page that has a link that says "open lightwave installer" I click on it and it highlight a file called setup in the finder. Thats it. I can't open that file becasue it it's of unknown type. i Tried opeing with installer but that didn't work and i tried draggin it to the terminal too. How does this work?

Also, where did you find this, I searched the intire nektek site and didn't find any mention of it. Is this really a demo or what?

slatr
10-21-2003, 08:36 PM
I am sorry I can't help on this one.

I don't have a Mac to test on.

If no one here knows, try a post on the mac forum.

Slatr

Evan Warner
10-21-2003, 09:07 PM
Thansk anyway Slatr,

Before I posted this I searched the forums for "demo" and nothing came up but then i found out the free version was called discovery and while you posted your message I went and looked at a few posts of people who had the same problem. It sounds like I need to get the 7.5c update and copy a few files form the LWDE.zip I already downlaed and the discovery versions will work. Unfortuneatly i'm on dial up so i will have to let it sit all night and find out if it works in the morning! I must say once again, everyone in these forums have been really nice and helpfull keep it up!

Oh and it would be nice if in the future NewTek advertised the demo version and made it work right he first time but oh well =)

WizCraker
10-21-2003, 09:28 PM
I just downloaded the Discover edition aka Demo of Lightwave from the link I posted on page one. Here is the Directory structure to the pc_install directory:

LWDE\LWDE\Media\PC_Install

In that directory you will find two files.

Autorun.inf and setup.exe

When you double click setup.exe it will install the PC vesion, you might have to install the 7.5c patch for the sentinel files as some of the other post have said. I tested the install and it installed fine but then again I already have the sentinel files.

the downloaded file was 49 MB and it includes both the PC and MAC installer as well as a quickstart walkthrough.

Evan Warner
10-22-2003, 11:15 AM
Yeah Wizcracker I did ge tit to work in the end.
It seems that there is some problem with Mac OS X and the demo so after searching the froum and finding others who had the same problem. I just downloaded the 7.5c patchand copied the eve3.framework form the downlaod you gave me into the folder and now it seems to work. Hopefully Newtek will fix this somtime but thanks for the help. I haven't had a chance to really play with it at all becaue im at school and I have tons of stuff to do but, do you know if in version 8 the Ui is redisged at all, maybe to give a more mac like interface?So far thats my only complaint. I think i'm probably goign to go ahead and get the student version because of all the good things everyone here has said about.