PDA

View Full Version : information privacy while looking for 3D work online

skywalker113
01-06-2012, 05:55 PM
I would like to start signing up for places like Guru.com and elance.com to start looking for freelance work for animation. Although I dont want people to be able to look up my information on a reverse email site or on a reverse phone directory. They should not know more then what I provided.

How can I prevent this? I'm kind of overwelmed with the options for protection and would like some advice on what others do, when they are looking for work online.

Thanks

biliousfrog
01-07-2012, 03:29 AM
Personally, I would avoid any of those sites for 3D work. If my experience is anything to go by, the only thing that counts to buyers is how cheap you are...and you'll be competing with people in India and China who will work for less than $5 ph. I was on elance and ifreelance for a couple of years, writing very detailed proposals and spending a lot of money to buy 'bids', the few jobs I got were so nightmarish and under paid, the commission to the sites takes a large chunk from the profits and you'll probably spend more time bidding than working. They are a huge waste of time and money unless you're happy to buy work, your income will never cover your time and costs.

Use your money to buy adwords, magazine ads, yellow pages listings, even Skype credit

skywalker113
01-07-2012, 12:20 PM
I can see what you mean. Some of those 3d artist are going for really low rates on those sites. Although, advertising in the yellowpages is a steep cost (like 400.00 each month for a colored business card size add). Such a prize would suck away all of my turbosquid money:(.

I have not thought of magazine adds. What magazines would you recommend?

Adwords definitely sounds like a good idea, ill look into that.

Dexter2999
01-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I have not thought of magazine adds. What magazines would you recommend?

ENTREPRENEUR Magazine? Or perhaps some other business oriented magazine or trade publications (which might be cheaper than newstand magazines because they have lower distribution)? Perhaps some sort of medical publication if you are doing medical illustrations/animations? Architectural digests and publications for Archviz?

I certainly wouldn't pay to advertise in any magazine that is graphics oriented as that readership is most likely well suited to do their own work.

Ryan Roye
01-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Personally, I would avoid any of those sites for 3D work. If my experience is anything to go by, the only thing that counts to buyers is how cheap you are...

I'll second this and i've been through the exact same issues as described above... I do not recommend Elance or similar sites either... DEFINITELY avoid "contest bid" sites like poptent too. Also watch out for clients who only want to milk as much out of you as they can without paying you... things like changing the workload in the middle of a project, for instance, is a common tactic and you will eventually need to respond to something like that with the usage of well-written mutual agreements and whatnot.

I've had a lot of crappy clients and eventually gave up on trying to make a career of digital media, but know that just like they have to weed us out, we also have to weed them out in turn.

biliousfrog
01-09-2012, 02:12 AM
The place that you choose to advertise will depend greatly on the clients you want to work for. Ideally you want to build relationships with clients so that you get regular work and so that they recommend you, that way you don't need to spend so much (or anything) on advertising. Word of mouth is the best advertising of all.

There are lots of sites which list freelance jobs, some require a subscription but you can apply for as many jobs as you like. What works for one person doesn't always work for another so it's just a case of trying things and see how they work for you. Cold calling, sending letters/showreel, joining networking groups...there's lots of things to try.

This site has lots of advice for the budding freelancer: http://freelanceswitch.com/

Nangleator
01-09-2012, 02:39 PM
ENTREPRENEUR Magazine sounds like a good bet to me. Lots of people seeking investment money always need more visual splash for their PowerPoint presentations.