PDA

View Full Version : got the new VT3 but now need new computer :)

ecscheel
10-17-2003, 12:59 PM
Im thinking of upgrading my p4 non xeon to a xeon chip processor and seeing if anyone has or know if this motherboard/ram/and processors is a good combo for running VT3. someone told me taht the supermicro that has the built in scsi was better but I already have a scsi card so does teh built in one really give you a advantage over one thats put in a slot? here are the details of the items im looking at below please let me know if they look good.

ASUS PC-DL DELUXE INTEL 875P CHIPSET DUAL XEON ATX FORM FACTOR 1xAGP(8X)/5xPCI/4xDDR Supports Duel-Channel W/SATA RAID, LAN(Gb),1394 & AUDIO (CPU TYPE:INTEL DUAL XEON - 533Mhz) Detail Specs

KINGSTON KVR333X64C25K2/1G 2X512MB (MATCH PAIR) PC2700 333MHZ CL2.5 DDR DIMM

2 INTEL XEON 2.8GHZ (BX80532KE2800D) 533Mhz RETAILED (3 YEARS WARRANTY)

PIZAZZ
10-17-2003, 01:37 PM
Stay away from the Asus. It may be a dual xeon but it does not have an independant 64bit bus like the supermicro.

If you have to have an atx form factor size - check out the Supermicro X5dal-g

I would suggest the X5DAE if you want to use DDR.

or I could sell you a great performing RAMBUS based Supermicro P4DC6+ with dual 1.8ghz Xeons. you could even update it to Dual 2.8s. It does have builtin SCSI 160.

An answer to your question is the built in SCSI card on the Supermicro boards does run basically on the 64bit bus. Depending on the model of SCSI adapter you have, it may or may not run on a 64bit bus.

What kind of drives do you have and what SCSI speed are they?

It is the best practice to separate the VT card to run on a separate 32bit bus and the drive system to run on another 64bit bus. This minimizes the amount of extra traffic on each bus, thus giving you maximum performance.