PDA

View Full Version : William Vaughan's [digital] Modeling

Nangleator
01-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Just got it a couple hours ago. Thanks, William, for pages 16 & 17.

I may add some impressions as I continue reading.

rcallicotte
01-06-2012, 07:33 AM
This is on my Wishlist, so please feel free to share some highlights with us all, if you want.

WilliamVaughan
01-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Just got it a couple hours ago. Thanks, William, for pages 16 & 17.

I may add some impressions as I continue reading.

Thanks for the support! Looking forward to hearing your feedback!

GandB
01-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Just got mine last night. Will leave feedback after a bit.

CaptainMarlowe
01-07-2012, 01:47 AM
Mine has been delayed by Amazon... Don't know when I'll get it... :(

Nangleator
01-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Great breakdown of all the stages of production (and pre- and post-).

Tremendous amount of work put into examples.

Some of the soccer ball stuff seems to suggest that William is a Vorlon. Or at least a particularly talented Minbari.

WilliamVaughan
01-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Great breakdown of all the stages of production (and pre- and post-).

Tremendous amount of work put into examples.

Some of the soccer ball stuff seems to suggest that William is a Vorlon. Or at least a particularly talented Minbari.

Thanks! Chapter 2 is one of my Favs

CaptainMarlowe
01-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Amazon just wrote me a mail saying I had to wait until feb 11 to get my book !!

c.1
01-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Just ordered mine! Should be here by Thursday or Friday:D

alexs3d
01-09-2012, 12:30 AM
i have to wait until 30 jan :)

WilliamVaughan
01-09-2012, 08:16 AM
if it helps the wait any... Im still waiting to get a copy in my hands.

WilliamVaughan
01-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Got my first review on AMazon:http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Modeling-William-Vaughan/product-reviews/0321700899/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

jaf
01-09-2012, 07:40 PM
How much did you pay Derek? Just kidding... off to order my own copy!

cgb777
01-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Just ordered my copy, can't wait!

Silkrooster
01-12-2012, 10:59 PM
I purchased the kindle version. Somehow, I need to find a way to resend the book to the kindle. The only image in the book is the cover page and the only text is the headlines, nothing else, all white.
I guess the file got corrupted during transfer.
Anywho, back to amazon to see what my options are.

Silkrooster
01-12-2012, 11:54 PM
I purchased the kindle version. Somehow, I need to find a way to resend the book to the kindle. The only image in the book is the cover page and the only text is the headlines, nothing else, all white.
I guess the file got corrupted during transfer.
Anywho, back to amazon to see what my options are.

Update, I did a live chat with Amazon, and it is now fixed. It required a factory reset of the kindle.
Thank William, I am going to enjoy your book.

Silkrooster
01-16-2012, 10:40 PM
well it happened again. Apparently playing some videos on certain web sites effect this book. I am thinking a memory leak or something along those lines. But a factory reset does fix it.

WillCameron
01-17-2012, 11:07 AM
If you install the Kindle app on your pc, doesnt it store it on your pc (the book) as well, and it would synch up via wifi or the USB plug? might be a better way than factory reseting the kindle (although I only have a nook and an android tablet so it might be less catastrophic to factory reset a kindle!)
Assuming the version on the PC was uncorrupted. Maybe change the file permissions to Read only?

I just hit the Soccer/Football tutorial and I actually have time today to
do it! Weee!

- Will.

Silkrooster
01-17-2012, 11:32 PM
I am lead to believe its a memory issue in the kindle it self. No matter how many time the book gets downloaded, the results are the same until you do a factory reset of the kindle. Then the book is fine. The other books don't seam to be effected, perhaps due to them being smaller in size.
So far accessing some videos on certain web sites, seam to effect it. It could be a memory leak in the android OS, a memory leak in the flash player (used to play the video) or a corrupt command used in formatting the book. I assume its not the latter since no one else is having this issue. It could also be bad memory in the device itself.
But, I guess experimentation is in order, to find the cause, before it does become an issue for others, assuming its not the memory of the device that is.

BTW the kindle fire does not come with a USB cord, its a separate purchase, which I hope they change their minds on since I explained to the tech support, that should there be an issue with the wifi such as an unforeseen bug in the OS, it renders the device in operable without having another way to update the OS.
I recently purchased a USB cord just in case and it makes transfering files much easier. Since it required transfers via email. Due to the wifi of the device not being visible to the router, nor a way to change the name of the network on the kindle. But to be fair, I did not try accessing the IP of the device via a web browser.
Anyway, I am getting way off topic for this thread. so...

CaptainMarlowe
02-11-2012, 01:30 AM
Amazon was right : finally got it on feb 11 !! Time to read, now. Can't wait !

JBT27
02-11-2012, 02:57 AM
Before I dive in and get the Kindle version ... are those six hours of videos downloadable for purchasers of the book?

I bought the David Mattingley matte painting book last year, for Kindle, realising too late that you don't get the files.

Then I bought a book on AE expressions, and found that all the content was downloadable from the publisher - cool, and smart idea.

Not much point putting out crippled editions ... so much for the digital age ...

Julian.

wesleycorgi
02-14-2012, 12:13 PM
I was surprised to see a few copies the Barnes & Nobles in Santa Clara, CA. I almost picked it up; I can't decide whether I want the digital edition or hard copy.

ginncal
05-22-2012, 07:11 AM
The book is great - I bought the Kindle version & because I wanted to have the instructional QT movies I also bought a hardcopy - you should know that the movies from William are the same ones released to the LW community after LW version 9 came out
- still great movies, but not new & not related to the book's content
(there is a V good Glen Southern tutorial in Zbrush)
Soooo, great book, disappointing DVD
Mike McGann

05-22-2012, 07:32 AM
I got the book last night.

Will adopt it for my 3d classes.

Great examples.

I am testing a unity book on the kindle-thingy; not sure how it all feels just yet.

JBT27
05-22-2012, 08:12 AM
The book is great - I bought the Kindle version & because I wanted to have the instructional QT movies I also bought a hardcopy - you should know that the movies from William are the same ones released to the LW community after LW version 9 came out
- still great movies, but not new & not related to the book's content
(there is a V good Glen Southern tutorial in Zbrush)
Soooo, great book, disappointing DVD
Mike McGann

That's good to know - thanks ... I've been waiting for someone to answer that point on the video content.

Julian.

gclayton
05-22-2012, 08:58 AM
If you bought the Kindle version of the book and want to get the DVD content you can download the files from PeachPit.

They claim there is a link in the book that links to the download but I couldn't find it. I contacted PeachPit customer support and they gave me a link to the downloads.

Unfortunately, the link expired after a certain time or I would post it here.

So harass PeachPit if you want the DVD downloads.

JBT27
10-16-2012, 09:44 AM
I finally bought it, the Kindle edition - I love these books on Kindle, and although I have a Kindle, I tend to read them on one screen whilst working on the other - perfect. However, about to email Peachpit and try to get the videos - if they are the old ones, then I do have them, or I guess they are still available from NT's site somewhere. But I still have this nag about publishers kind of crippling e-publications by not having enough support for additional files that are traditionally on a DVD. I can't find that link either - it's not obvious.

Anyway, happy to have this and looking forward to learning; I can model, but it's a weaker part of my game.

Julian.

JBT27
10-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Deleted - dual post.

Julian.

Philbert
10-17-2012, 01:12 AM
Is the Kindle version in color? One awesome thing about this book is that full color images on almost every page.

JBT27
10-17-2012, 03:55 AM
Is the Kindle version in color? One awesome thing about this book is that full color images on almost every page.

Yes it is. Books like this, like Matte Painting and AE Expressions I tend to read on one monitor, large, and in colour, whilst working on the other, but keep it on my Kindle as well for dipping in when I want.

Julian.

Darth Mole
10-17-2012, 05:38 AM
Okay, just ordered. Should be with me early next week. I'm only buying this as a way to say thanks to William for all the free and informative stuff he's given us over the years. And not because it's full of colour pics and great information :)

RedRowan
10-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Had not heard of this book until reading this thread but decided I needed to get myself a copy after seeing the feedback on here and Amazon. Fingers crossed it will arrive tomorrow.

Steve

sublimationman
10-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Just ordered my copy.

RedRowan
10-21-2012, 02:03 AM
Mine arrived yesterday and I started reading through it last night. Only a couple of chapters in but it really is good, very glad I spotted this thread.

Steve

rcallicotte
10-21-2012, 06:02 AM
Great book both for a clear overview of the 3D in the real world and a good way to understand Lightwave. William Vaughan's understanding of Lightwave and his ability to communicate what he knows is excellent.

eureka
10-23-2012, 02:52 AM
Just ordered mine too...

dbond
04-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Great book by the way. I'm learning a lot from it. I was following along the soccer ball creation in the polygonal modeling section. I was able to follow along creating the ball until page 191 where he uses a deformation tool (shrink-wraps any geometry into a sphere.) Does anyone know what tool he is referring to?

Thanks,
Doug

WilliamVaughan
04-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Great book by the way. I'm learning a lot from it. I was following along the soccer ball creation in the polygonal modeling section. I was able to follow along creating the ball until page 191 where he uses a deformation tool (shrink-wraps any geometry into a sphere.) Does anyone know what tool he is referring to?

Thanks,
Doug

Spherize

cresshead
04-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Q. just can someone confirm the Kindle version, you have access to the videos to download correct?

in UK kindle store it's currently unavailable!
drat!

allabulle
04-11-2013, 04:17 PM
You might want to contact William directly through PM or e-mail. I bought the book, but he offered to manage the situation on a per person basis, if I recall it correctly. Mind you, that's not William's word, but my [founded, I think] guess.

Cryonic
04-12-2013, 05:05 PM

Thanks,
Doug

See how your jabulani ball compares to mine. I had some issues with getting the polygon flow right (some triangles in the final mesh instead of all quads).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxoaq3LXIRo

ShadowMystic
04-13-2013, 03:15 PM
See how your jabulani ball compares to mine. I had some issues with getting the polygon flow right (some triangles in the final mesh instead of all quads).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxoaq3LXIRo

Check out mine. My dimensions are a bit of from bad reference, but it is all quads.

lardbros
04-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Okay, just ordered. Should be with me early next week. I'm only buying this as a way to say thanks to William for all the free and informative stuff he's given us over the years. And not because it's full of colour pics and great information :)

Ha... think I'm going to do the same! ;)

Always nice to support the community, and get some top-notch training to boot! :D Colour piccies are a rarity in books these days, so will snap this up pretty soon! :D

lardbros
04-13-2013, 05:23 PM

Ha... think I'm going to do the same! ;)

Always nice to support the community, and get some top-notch training to boot! :D Colour piccies are a rarity in books these days, so will snap this up pretty soon! :D