PDA

View Full Version : Doe LW have any function to automatically reduce polygon count ?

wtdedula
01-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Hello All;
A student of mine produced a nice 3-D model for me in Maya that I'm going to use in a game. I exported to .obj and want to import into Modeler (Ver. 10.1). Does modeler have any command or plug-in to automatically reduce the polygon count or do I have to do this manually ? Or is there a plug-in that would do that? Thanks.

Tim

nickdigital
01-04-2012, 01:45 PM
In Modeler under the Construct tab in the Reduce menu area there should be Reduce Polys +. You could also try Qemloss or Decimate.
http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/qemloss.html
http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/decimate.html

tburbage
01-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Just be aware that the reduction tools are generally based on eliminating edges based on the face normal angle differences. For more mechanical shapes with flat areas and uniform curvatures, you can get decent results with low settings, but it can be difficult on complex shapes to get a good usable mesh as a result. There's no control of things like maintaining quads.

This is why good re-topology tools are so popular. It is often better to recreate a clean mesh with good topology over a shape.

wtdedula
01-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Hello All;
Thanks for your suggestions.

I did not really like my model to be turned into all triangles so I did not like how Reduce Polys + or the other plug ins mentioned worked.

Is there a way to maintain all quads and still reduce the model?

I have attached a picture of the mesh from the model I am trying to reduce. This model has about 18,000 polygons now and I need to try to reduce it to 500 or under for usage in a real-time game. I am also going to animate it after I reduce the polygon count.

My student modeler told me that I would want to just remove all of the edge loops and I found a manual way of doing that by selecting loop, and then pressing "disolve loop" though this is taking a long time and I do not know if that is the best approach. In addition, it's creating polygons with many more than four sides and also not sure if that is a good practice.

Anyone have any thoughts how to best remove the edge loops while maintining good modeling practices in the least amount of time? Even if this task has to be manual, I want to be sure I'm on the right track before undertaking it.

Thanks a million.

Tim

wtdedula
01-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Hello All;
I think I figured it out. I'm using Bandglue to get rid of all of my edge loops though that messes up all of my texture maps so i will need to re-do those.

Still, if anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Tim

Danner
01-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Many times it's just easier to re build the low rez mesh from strach using the high rez as a template.

vector
01-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Blender has nice retopology tools and itīs free. I think both softwares complement each other although I used Lw mainly

Sensei
01-09-2012, 03:17 AM
My student modeler told me that I would want to just remove all of the edge loops and I found a manual way of doing that by selecting loop, and then pressing "disolve loop" though this is taking a long time and I do not know if that is the best approach. In addition, it's creating polygons with many more than four sides and also not sure if that is a good practice.

Anyone have any thoughts how to best remove the edge loops while maintining good modeling practices in the least amount of time? Even if this task has to be manual, I want to be sure I'm on the right track before undertaking it.

In SwiftEdgeLoop v2.0 you can dissolve edge loop just by right mouse button clicking one edge with control key pressed..
http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/SwiftEdgeLoop
One mouse button press for one whole edge loop. No need to select edge, then select edge loop and then running Dissolve..