PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request for LW - plugin repository by Newtek.

archijam
01-04-2012, 10:52 AM
This is a specifically LW related request. It has probably been thrown out there since the 90's, but I am going to have a go.

The other main 3D app I use is Rhino, and recently they have made a great initiative in the last months, which has been very successful.

The site is called food4rhino, setup by the Rhino devs (McNeel) - it is purely a CMS site for Rhino related plugins.

http://www.food4rhino.com/

The plugin makers can create a page related to their plugin, and the content of the site is completely maintained by the plugin vendors, providing links to downloads or forums etc.

The site is not connected directly to the McNeel site (only by a link), and therefore clearly maintains it's 'independence' from the product Lightwave - it is purely a support for the community and the plugin developers.

What is great is that it weeds out the active plugins from the old, and is by definition up to date. Lightwave (as Rhino) can directly show the plugins as added benefits, workflows, and possibilities, (incidentally, similarly to the way Lux. promotes plugins and content as though they are part of their software).

It also is one place to look for (and publicise, in the case of vendors) updates and current compatibility.

The site can then grow in the future, or organise other resource pages (Lightwiki, PresetCentral, LWPluginDB etc.) ... in the case of Food4Rhino, for example, they recently added textures/backgrounds.

In the meantime, we of course have LightWiki :thumbsup:

Anyway .. be sure to check it out and see what you think!

Thanks! :)

OnlineRender
01-10-2012, 06:51 AM
I'll look into it , thing being BLR is setup Plugin DB is there also preset is there PLEASE PEOPLE GET SOME PRESETS made i have looked at the same rss feed on lightwiki since it opened show some love to presetcentral and add some content it's a great resource

archijam
01-10-2012, 06:54 AM
yes .. lightwiki is the future :thumbsup:

would be great to get some semi-official support from NT *hint*

(links, logo ..)

OnlineRender
01-10-2012, 07:06 AM
yes .. lightwiki is the future :thumbsup:

would be great to get some semi-official support from NT *hint*

(links, logo ..)

cant see it every happening mate , plenty of great sites prior to lightwiki that showed huge potential could have done with the official backup from newtek "not even Newtek " LIGHTWAVE3D ....flay being one I would imagine .

it's to risky from there perspective , it's more productive for them to control the channel and setup there own version .

BigHache
01-10-2012, 02:12 PM
it's to risky from there perspective , it's more productive for them to control the channel and setup there own version .

Even so, I also think NT has only so many resources, and this effort would be a major back burner project for them.

This is not a slight to NT by any means, but I think it's obvious the focus is more on larger studio production needs, whereas the plug-in repository feels more like a smaller need if you will.

I say we the community just build the thing, if it works for a time, so be it, if it goes astray after a time, well it was a good adventure and filled a need for a time.

OnlineRender
01-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Even so, I also think NT has only so many resources, and this effort would be a major back burner project for them.

This is not a slight to NT by any means, but I think it's obvious the focus is more on larger studio production needs, whereas the plug-in repository feels more like a smaller need if you will.

I say we the community just build the thing, if it works for a time, so be it, if it goes astray after a time, well it was a good adventure and filled a need for a time.

I built it several months just never enabled it on lightwiki , at the time BNR had just teamed up with l3d and plugin in db has always been a solid source , I want more lw oriented website not kill them off it's a fine line between keeping people happy and draining from other sites , the concept of wiki is to act as a hub for all lightwave activity and to expand knowledge for users , I can have it up running pretty fast

BigHache
01-10-2012, 07:43 PM
I built it several months just never enabled it on lightwiki , at the time BNR had just teamed up with l3d and plugin in db has always been a solid source , I want more lw oriented website not kill them off it's a fine line between keeping people happy and draining from other sites , the concept of wiki is to act as a hub for all lightwave activity and to expand knowledge for users , I can have it up running pretty fast

Makes sense, and yeah kind of a hard question. Soft launch and see how response is?

OnlineRender
01-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Makes sense, and yeah kind of a hard question. Soft launch and see how response is?

December was bug hutning in which we killed most , so now its our goal targets .

we are adding some nice features but this will not make people post more to the wiki part , the goal is to keep wiki the focus however in todays world if we had just added the wiki there would have been people asking for more .

we are the only site with unified login regarding all aspects ,we even wrote our own modules ,we had someone saying the site has changed 3 times since it first opened in Novemeber , the site will always change its not static , if someone suggests or has a better idea we will look at expanding on this ...

the new feature we are adding is the first in web history "I dont just mean regarding LW Sites "that I know of ... we are breaking a lot of records and setting a trend for more Lightwave sites to follow .

archijam
01-11-2012, 03:15 PM
IMHO:

I don't think it should be all plugins .. just a place for the active plugin devs.

ie. KRay, DB&W, Worley, LWCAD, DPont, Walfridson, Polas, Eurisko, RebelHill, Dodgy ... (and all the awesome other ones that I gove up typing with my android phone).

LWPluginDB is still essential, but should have everything, from new to legacy ...

If it generates interest, I am sure devs would later take an interest in maintaining their own links and news, etc.

Incidentally, Food4Rhino works because McNeel put it online, but it is updated by the plugin devs themselves .. for that reason it is also a one-stop-shop to check if you have the latest versions, compatibility, etc etc ..

OnlineRender
01-11-2012, 04:10 PM
I'll get it up and in running just not atm , I am to busy spinning models around in webgl :)

OnlineRender
01-14-2012, 12:14 PM
for J http://www.lightwiki.net/downloads and done!