PDA

View Full Version : NewTek Europe sales issues are a joke, please sort it out

biliousfrog
01-04-2012, 09:02 AM
Right, here's what I'm currently faced with.

I reformatted my main workstation over Xmas with the intention of buying LW11 and installing fresh for the new year. The release of LW11 was delayed so, rather than throw a hissy fit, I made sure that I could buy-in to LW10.1 and get LW11 on launch.

I went to NT Europe and purchased the upgrade, then purchased butterfly net render upgrade to go with it. BNR was purchased, downloaded, installed and registered within an hour. NT Europe sent me conformation of order and an email that payment was recorded within the day.

Yesterday I sent an email to [email protected] asking if it was possible to have the serial number of the upgrade so that I could register the software (which I downloaded from NT) rather than wait for delivery of the disc (which I have no use for).

Today, as I haven't had a response from the email and payment hasn't been processed, I tried calling NT-E...automated response with opening times. I checked the status of the order in my account page and the upgrade is still in my cart :confused:

So has my order gone through or not? I can't speak to anyone at NT Europe so I decide to call NewTek directly. Cat (I think she was called) was very helpful in telling me that they don't have access to NT-E's system as they're just resellers, I'd have to speak with them directly.

Now I was all for cancelling the order (if it has been ordered, I can't find that out) and buying from NewTek directly but that throws up other issues. I was told that they would deal with me as I have been unhappy with NT-E but only as it is an exceptional circumstance...but I would still have to pay for shipment of the disc and there have also been problems with payment by non-US cards so might have to pay via another method.

Honestly, I am lost for words. I was actually quite excited about getting a shiny new version of Lightwave to use with some exciting new projects but it looks like I'm back to using 9.6 again and probably not having time to upgrade at all now because I'll be too busy.

NewTek, for the love of God, SORT IT OUT!

This is the 21st Century and you're sales department is stuck in the 90's. Over the past two weeks I have bought 4 software products, one from a major developer, one from a small team, one from a one-man-band and one from NewTek and, as always, NT are the only ones to make it difficult...and I've been here before, what the hell are new users going to think?

archijam
01-04-2012, 11:10 AM
NT Europe is not part of Newtek per-se, so best to get in touch directly (as you have been trying) ..

Try contacting Edith, she's always really helpful:

eminkenberg at newtek-europe dot com

jburford
01-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Wish you all the luck in the world, but hardly think such an airing here is the place for this.

I have never had problems reaching Newtek Europe, and was always handled professionaly and promptly. They helped me years ago upgrading an older Amiga and VT Lightwave License to then 8.3 and receiving the 9.x free along with the then Vue 5.x.

There were no problems, they verified the info with the states in regards to my older license, and did an Overnight Express to me in Frankurt with the Package.

They also helped me with other issues with Lightwave, and provided Call-Back Services and had no problem speaking to me in English since my French is long forgotten.

And yes, if one calls outside of the set office hours, one will most likely reach an answering machine. Can understand your frustration though, as one would think expect that all aspects of the Newtek Family would be tied together and digitally update.

Good Luck on things, but please give them a call back.

Cheers

FHL
01-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Hello, NewTek Europe offices were closed for 3 days for the beginning of the year on the 2,3 and 4. Tomorrow I will make sure that Rama Jean contact you ASAP.
I apologize for any inconvenience. If your product was not shipped no payment was processed.
Should you have any other questions do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Franck Lafage
Managing Director
NEWTEK Africa - Europe - Middle East – Pakistan - Russia - Turkey

3D Storm, 70 avenue de Capeyron
Saint Médard en Jalles - 33160 – France
T +33(0) 557 262 262 F +33(0) 557 262 261
mailto:[email protected]

biliousfrog
01-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Just to be clear, I called several times during the hours specified on the answer machine.

My main gripe is that the whole purchase process is confusing, overly complicated and extremely outdated compared to any other software product I have bought in recent years. My details are registered with NT, the software is freely available (10.1 trial) on the NT server, all I need to do is pay an upgrade price and get a licence code. Instead, the procedure is something like this:

Select product, insert payment details. A customer service agent takes the details and processes the order. Once payment is cleared they print out a serial number, stick it on a DVD and post it to you. You install the app, register the serial and wait for a licence key to be sent from another cs rep. Hopefully, within a week, you will get the product you purchased unless the staff are on holiday or there are technical issues.

This a very complex, "cutting edge" software application, the year is 2012, and we're still buying via mail order? The purchase experience needs to be simple and intuitive, not clunky and confusing. Why would anyone put off buyers with such a poor sales experience?

JonW
01-04-2012, 04:30 PM
The purchase experience needs to be simple and intuitive, not clunky and confusing.

I had to contact Newtek on the phone to purchase LW11, & I give them credit where it's due, they were helpful.

But I did say in an email that hopefully by LW12 the whole process "needs to be simple and intuitive".

Currently it's painful & torturous, & just wastes everyone's time & money!

I do hope they make it easier for all parties!

FHL
01-04-2012, 04:54 PM
I cannot say that there is not room for improvement.
We will have this sorted out for you by tomorrow morning.
Once again. All our apologies for the inconvenience.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Franck Lafage

djwaterman
01-04-2012, 06:52 PM
It should be a simple automated process like everyone else uses, dongles, disks, they are obstructions and need to be phased out. He has every right to bring the issue up. It's embarrassing.

GandB
01-05-2012, 03:39 AM
It is nice to see NTE coming on the Boards here and making things right. ;)

biliousfrog
01-05-2012, 03:40 AM
jburford, I agree that this shouldn't be a public airing but it's generally the only way to get things done round here. Personal gripes aside, I mostly wanted to point out how overly complicated the whole buying experience is from NewTek. A couple of years ago I honestly didn't expect to be buying an upgrade to Lightwave so it says a lot about how my perception of the product and company has changed. It's a shame that such a good product with greatly improved marketing is let down by an awful purchase and licencing system.

Well, here's an update...

I got a nice call from Rama at NT-E this morning who has processed the order. A few moments ago I got an email from Simon at NT-E with download links, my new serial number and details on how to register. That's all most people would ever need when upgrading and there's no reason why it couldn't be automated. It has taken a total of 1 hour to process.

Thank you Franck and also Irene King at NT who PM'd me.

Hopefully the process can be reviewed and improved in the near future?

Andy Meyer
01-05-2012, 08:33 AM
:-)
i ordered LW 6 or 7 at NT Europe some years ago. payed with my master card.
some weeks passed with no delivery and no answers.
at the end i called master card and they revoked the payment.
end of story...

Roger Harris
01-06-2012, 03:15 AM
Rather than go direct to Newtek Europe, which is never a painless process, I go to a UK reseller (OneVideo) and they handle the whole process for me, are excellent, and I got my disks within 3 days.

And a promise I'll get LW11 for free when it ships.

No extra dosh required either, in fact, it was cheaper to go through OneVideo than buy direct from NTE

Roger

kadri
01-06-2012, 06:03 AM
The procedure may have changed by now i don't know but when i wanted to buy Lightwave they said look at Newtek Europe. When i asked them they said look at the local reseller. When i did call them they said we do not use credit cards. What? The little grocery store on the corner use them for little shoppings like 2-3 $ and i can not use one for something like lightwave? In the end i found a dealer in Amazon.com and had no problem buying from them. Had to pay extra tax etc.

Pirating something should be hard. If it is the other way around there is really much room for improvement.
I think this is why services like Steam are so popular. I can buy and use a game nearly instantly without problem and hassle. It is interesting that the breach on them did not come much up front as the other ones. Not sure if there are other factors but if it would be Origin , Windows live etc. it would maybe had much louder coverage. You tend to forgive many things when you like someone it seems :)

There are probably international laws,problems etc. i do not know. But when we can buy something very easily online , it is natural that we compare them with others in the end.

Roger Harris
01-06-2012, 06:08 AM
To be honest it's unbelievable that Newtek still insist you buy a disk, in a box! Very old fasioned. Over at Luxology I can buy modo, or an upgrade, instantly using my card in their online store, and download the software immediately. As it should be.
Newtek told me recently I may not get LW11 in europe as quick as in the US. WTF is that about. It should be available worldwide as soon as it comes out via download. Just like pretty much every other dealer. Having to go through 'local' resellers is utterly stupid in this day and age.

biliousfrog
01-06-2012, 07:37 AM
I agree, I'm slightly bewildered that a software company that deals primarily with very tech-savvy people have a system from the dark ages. I don't have a problem with companies providing disks and printed manuals but it should be an option alongside a standard download. My recent Adobe upgrade, for example, was immediately available to download (at 6gb I think) but the disks and manuals were sent in the post.

Lightwave is fairly lightweight with regards to download size so it's not like most people wouldn't be able to download it. There's also the problem with the disk being redundant almost immediately too. I've got several software disks on a shelf which were used for the initial install but were replaced with downloaded updates for subsequent installs. This current purchase is another example of this, I bought 10.1 to get LW11 on launch so the 10.1 disk will never be used as I already downloaded it.

What I feel should be possible is to log in to your personal account, select a product you own and choose an upgrade to purchase. Once you've paid you are given the code to unlock the software and the download link is added to your account. Not get a serial which needs to be sent back to NT in order to get the code...all of that is unnecessary. NT have all the details on the system already including the dongle ID from the product you're upgrading.

For new purchases it would work in the same way. You register your details when purchasing a product, pay, and you receive the download link and registration code to unlock it....but....

There's this issue about the dongle. One solution is to have the product fully functional for 30 days like most applications so that you have time for the dongle to arrive. Another is to get rid of the dongle completely. Both those options divide opinion, personally, I don't mind having a dongle so...option 3....use PMG's method of letting you create your own dongle from a USB stick. That way there's no need to provide any hardware at all but still provide a nice, portable licencing system.

My 2c

VirtualFM
01-06-2012, 09:37 AM
I agree with the original poster. It never went right for me as well, the last upgrade was such a mess that I didn't get the free LWCAD bundle I should be entitled for and took so much trouble to explain and sort it out that I gave up.

Now I'm having the same trouble getting LW11 pre-release because I bought LW at the 31st of March and they are counting the registration date of 14th of April, which was so delayed because of all that back-and-forth that is so common. I understand the registration came so late becasue at the time they were having a busy time with the Core orders etc, but I don't understand why I am beeing punished in $100 becasue of that, because I ORDERED/BOUGHT Core in the right period, even if it was the last day and only got it registered 2 weeks later.

Been dealing with this in the last week or so and right now they are asking me for a physical copy of the invoice as proof, or something, when the data is right there on their database.

Will keep trying, but it's very hard to keep a legit and loyal costumer around here. Specially in a country where piracy rules and is easy to obtain whatever you want and those who do have none of these troubles. The ones who are punished are the paying customers like me. Oh! And I must be the last active LW user in here, to make matters worse! (OK, maybe not the last, but I bet you can count them by the fingers of a one-armed man who worked in a sawmill and had some fingers chopped!)

colkai
01-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Alas, not much has changed in a very long time and it appears to be yet another example of Newtek simply making things more difficult than they need to be.

As with others, I found OneVideo to be the place for folks in the UK for any LW updates, quicker and easier than dealing with Newtek directly.

I even gave up on installnig a 64bit LW as, for some reason, in the "my products" for a registered version, they only supply 32-bit keys.
You'd think both 32 & 64 bit would be generated and made available but apparently no, you have to go the CS route again, and that is never a fun thing.
Especially if you are from the UK as your details are "invalid" for the USA site, even though, the rest of my downloads are on the USA site.

Dunno why such simple matters continue to remain outside of Newteks comprehension to deal with in a logical and efficient manner.
Seems to me not much has changed in 10 years, so ain't likely to I figures.

blondimage
01-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Wow! There was me thinking it could only happen to me.. :)

CS emailed me yesterday with regards to my previous emails soon after the pre release thingy last year. No luck then. And the username/password given this time still don't work!

It is absolutely unbelievable!

Right. Off to get a stiff drink! :(

OnlineRender
01-06-2012, 02:00 PM
1) enable lightwave3d.com
2)spank joomla on , " since that seems to be the norm"
3) engage the shop not virtual mart version you have on the main site the one thats on the sellling a 40 k product with a blind sql injection vulnerability , but thats niether here nor there atm ...
4) instant download with generated code , forget the dongle or atleast make it a temp lic
5) make sure it can accept all methods of payment .
6) have live customer services chat enabled .... you cant get that much demand that one employee cant handle ....

7) tart the rest of the site up
8) DONE !

wrench
01-06-2012, 05:34 PM
I even gave up on installnig a 64bit LW as, for some reason, in the "my products" for a registered version, they only supply 32-bit keys.
You'd think both 32 & 64 bit would be generated and made available but apparently no, you have to go the CS route again, and that is never a fun thing.
Especially if you are from the UK as your details are "invalid" for the USA site, even though, the rest of my downloads are on the USA site.

It may have changed since I was on the case Col, but what you need to do is go onto your My Products page, select the serial number, copy it, go back to the main page, select a new product with that serial number and fill in the Lock ID for the platform you want (ie. 64-bit). In fact, the instructions that I wrote back when 9.0 was released back in July 2006 and we moved to this system are actually *on* that front page.

HTH,

B

colkai
01-07-2012, 05:11 AM
Tried that Ben, says I have to go through NTE but the link for registration on NTE leads you back to the USA site.
I'll try again a I tried this last about a couple of months ago, so who knows, maybe something has actually been fixed.

Edit: As always Ben, you Da man! Now got a 64 bit key without having to contact CS :D :D

souzou
01-07-2012, 08:19 AM
To be honest it's unbelievable that Newtek still insist you buy a disk, in a box! Very old fasioned. Over at Luxology I can buy modo, or an upgrade, instantly using my card in their online store, and download the software immediately. As it should be.
Newtek told me recently I may not get LW11 in europe as quick as in the US. WTF is that about. It should be available worldwide as soon as it comes out via download. Just like pretty much every other dealer. Having to go through 'local' resellers is utterly stupid in this day and age.

Not much consolation but Maxon still ship Cinema4D out on disk in a box, with serials in a separate email.

Agree NT should sort out their online store (which to be fair it does look like they've been trying to do with the LW11 preorder) so that software can be downloaded worldwide and the only thing that needs shipping out is a dongle to new customers, and disks if the customer requests it maybe.

Though I wonder if part of the problem is existing agreements they may have in place with distributors in different territories?

jwiede
01-07-2012, 08:29 AM
Not much consolation but Maxon still ship Cinema4D out on disk in a box, with serials in a separate email.
That's incorrect, at least here in the USA: As of C4D R13 MAXON now offer a download-only upgrade purchase option. It's how I purchased my R13 Studio upgrade (direct from MAXON), and while I had the option to receive physical disks, they were not required. I was able to download the install and bonus content DVDs as images, etc. -- everything needed to upgrade from R12 to R13.

souzou
01-07-2012, 08:50 AM
That's incorrect, at least here in the USA: As of C4D R13 MAXON now offer a download-only upgrade purchase option. It's how I purchased my R13 Studio upgrade (direct from MAXON), and while I had the option to receive physical disks, they were not required. I was able to download the install and bonus content DVDs as images, etc. -- everything needed to upgrade from R12 to R13.

Hmm we didn't get that option, we're on the maintenance plan and they just shipped out the new version automatically. I guess they've updated their delivery systems (or are in the process of doing so).