PDA

View Full Version : Unwrap a cylinder (not UV related) ?

madno
01-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Again I feel so noob.

I have a cylinder half. Now I want to unwarp it, so that it gets a flat plane. But the (half) radius of the cylinder should become the heigth of the flat plane. I tried to achieve that with the bend tool with millions of fall off trials, but I only get funny art like results, just never a flat plane.
Does anyobdy have an idea if it is possible at all?

nickdigital
01-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Try doing it the opposite way...start with a plane and then use the Bend tool to make a cylinder.

Sekhar
01-03-2012, 10:18 AM
You could do it with bones. Select points from one side, create a curve, convert it to skelegons, and center. In Layout, convert to bones and keyframe all child bones to 0 rotation so the shape flattens. This is one way to do it anyway.

jeric_synergy
01-03-2012, 10:31 AM
If you try this as endomorphs, you'll probably want/need a couple intermediate shapes, as points move in STRAIGHT LINES between the various morphs.

Unless, of course, you like that effect.

probiner
01-03-2012, 04:58 PM
If a Morph suits your situation:

Make a Morph
Select one side's points by over and use LineUpPoints plugin. Do the same for the other side

Cheers

JeffrySG
01-03-2012, 09:13 PM
If a Morph suits your situation:

Make a Morph
Select one side's points by over and use LineUpPoints plugin. Do the same for the other side

Cheers

Yes! The LineUpPoints script makes this super easy to do! :thumbsup:

http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/lineuppoints.php

madno
01-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Wow, thats a lot of input. Unfortunately your solutions are beyond my scope of know how. Have not tried bones nor morphs so far. But anyway thanks for the tips (I will try as soon as I step into those parts of LW). For now I found another working solution (see screenshots).

Well, while I am typing anyway, and my PC is nearly blocked by some processing tasks, let me tell you the reason for my noob questions.

I own the LW license for more than two years now, but have not found the time to use it for more than some super simple models. Fortunately I now need to make some new splashscreens for our software and for the web site. So I thought, this time I don't make "glass icons" etc. with Illustrator. This time I want 3D.
Unfortunately, while following the forums here, on CGSociety, Luxology, Blender, etc. I got the impression that LW is old, slow, weak of features and NewTek is full of evil people, who just want to rip off their customers (except of the dev team of course). So the impression was, don't use LW, you can't do anything usefull with it and everybody will laugh at you, if you use it.

But at the same time, I read about BSG, Avatar, TerraNova, watched the work you show here in the gallery, stumbled upon an article in which a 3D veteran said, LW is his secret weapon, when everything else fails, watched a youtube video, where a studio team explained they use LW for a dog fight TV show, because it always helped them to deliver on time and budget.

So my conclusion was, if LW can do all that, it will for sure be ok for what I am going to do with it. So decision made, bought the 11 Update, bought LWCAD (even I as a noob noticed that having snapping in the modeler is really nice). And now I am sitting here, asking about unwrapping, SubD and I am afraid maybe more in the future.
If I would have spent more time in using LW than reading about, why not to use it, I would already know, how to use morphs and bones.

Sorry, for the long post, I hope I havn't bored you to much.

jeric_synergy
01-04-2012, 02:01 PM
We only b´tch constantly about LW 'cuz we love it. Like family.

madno
01-04-2012, 11:56 PM
well give your family a hug sometimes, so outsiders don't think the relationship is broken.

:-)

probiner
01-05-2012, 01:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QQUE4Yu0tU&t=5m ;)

jeric_synergy
01-05-2012, 01:48 AM
well give your family a hug sometimes, so outsiders don't think the relationship is broken.

:-)
I'm the very soul of LW appreciation around here. :santa:

madno
01-08-2012, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the links to the precise modelling plugins Probiner.

probiner
01-08-2012, 05:18 AM
You mean the video. Plugins are not mine. Video description has the forum thread with links to them. Anyway I was just pointing to Lineup Points EQ, for your situation.

Cheers

madno
01-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Yes, I meant the link which points to the forum entry.