PDA

View Full Version : Texturing a lumpy asteroid.

starbase1
01-02-2012, 11:22 AM
I've downloaded an untextured high resolution asteroid model - see attached image. On comparing the model with some photos, it's pretty clear that the smooth areas are darker dust, and the lumpy bits are lighter rock embedded in it.

So does anyone know a way of separating out the lumps for a different texture?

Nick

MicroMouse
01-02-2012, 01:13 PM
It would be a lot of work but you could try the 'Tools -> Triangle Relocation' feature in your copy of AccuTrans to move the lumps to a new layer.

Wayne

starbase1
01-02-2012, 04:29 PM
I was hoping for something automatic - with 6400k polygons manual is not really an option!

Maybe some way to persuade a texture node to return a value which corresponds to local smoothness? I suspect its a long shot!

Cheers,
Nick

zardoz
01-02-2012, 06:05 PM
maybe you can try curvatures (from dpont dpkit) to act as an alpha for different maps

starbase1
01-03-2012, 08:42 AM
hey, that looks like a very promising solution - and thanks for the wiring diagram for the nodes!

I'll give that a go.
Nick

starbase1
01-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Here's the results, it's not quite there as it seems to run around the edge of the lumps, rather than over them, but it looks to be a really good starting point.

3 versions here, a false colour one to show the values returned, a 'grime' one, to emphasize the limits, and a starting point for the final ruin with banded colours, I think baking the surface and editing it may well be a good way forwards.

Unless anyone has suggestions for making it better directly?

(The asteroid is accurately sized, 550m longest axis, scale set to 600m