PDA

View Full Version : Render Questions

Airwaves
12-30-2011, 02:44 PM
I have some questions on rendering. I am new to lightwave and in fact I am an accountant but I LOVE 3D and learning lightwave. I made a short animation from a tutorial a while back and I thought that 14 seconds of basic things would not take more than an hour but was shocked to see that it would have taken about 8 or 9 hours. Anyway as I am learning the stuff I found ways to do it better but I thought that render farms would be cool. Anyway, I was talking with my brother in law who is a tech nerd and we are planning on building a renderfarm for one of the websites we are putting up. Can you do lots of rendering for people using lightwave or do you have to have the plugins that everyone is using? Thanks

nickdigital
12-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Anyway, I was talking with my brother in law who is a tech nerd and we are planning on building a renderfarm for one of the websites we are putting up. Can you do lots of rendering for people using lightwave or do you have to have the plugins that everyone is using? Thanks

I assume you're talking about starting a render farm service?

If so, then yes, you will need to have all the plug-ins (native ad 3rd party) that a client is using in their scene.

Airwaves
02-17-2012, 03:22 PM
So in regards to setting up a small render farm for a project I am starting. I was wondering if anyone could answer some basic questions for a newbie like me.

I have the option of getting older computers at an extremely great price. They are basic business hp desktops with 2gb ram and a dual core 2.53 ghz.

I originally looked into buying 6 brand new computers with great specs but for that price I can get about 25 of these computers. I am a novice to this still but want to see if a bunch of old computers can work or is this a bad Idea? Thanks

paulhart
02-17-2012, 03:35 PM
My speculation is that, if the price point is good enough, you will a great bang for the "buck."
Two(2) things. You may want to upgrade the memory to 4gb, which will be enough for most projects, but still may be shy for some monster projects, but given the vintage, the operating system won't recognize any more than 3.5gb.
Second, 6 brand new computers, should use less energy ($) than 25 older systems, the chips may be more than "dual core" and the speed may be faster for the chips, so they may be close in terms of actual processing time. A lot of factors to balance.
I have successfully migrated "old" systems to my render farm as I acquire new main station computers.
I use Amleto very successfully with the renderfarm, easy to setup, as long as you can "see" the other computers in the farm. I use TightVNC on all of them to allow me to look at and monitor each remote station from the main station. Once this is set up, setting up Amleto is almost a sure thing, except, be sure and designate a local \temp folder on each for Amleto to use.

Lewis
02-17-2012, 03:36 PM
2GB ram and Dual core CPU today is very old and slow for rendering, regardless of how cheap you can get them they aren't worth including in renderfarm, sorry :(.

paulhart
02-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Lewis is probably more on point than my ramble. The newer, faster less energy, updated seem to be a better idea.

Lewis
02-17-2012, 04:08 PM
And , don't even consider doing 32Bit Renderfarm/OS, 64Bit is a Must today so you can use at least 8GB Ram in each render farm machines (although nowdays 12-16Gb is much better/preffered).

I have scenes where Single frame goes for 2+ hours on Sixcore i7 so that would render for 20+ hours on such low CPU as Dual core 2.5Ghz which is probably at least 4-5 years old by now = OLD stuff :).

If you really want to go in this business you need to have Top notch machines (i.e. new ones) and cheap prices to compete with big boys with hundreds of machines already.

2.5GHz of todays CPU is 2-3x faster than 2.5Ghz on 4-5 years old CPU. It's different architecture, different manufacturing process, they are much stronger, have more Cores and use less power/electricity and at the end can outperform them easily.

My older Render Slave Intel Q6600 Quad core is 3-5x times slower than Intel i7 Six core (depending on scene but average is 3.5-4x) and difference between CPUs is 2.5-3 years.

Airwaves
02-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Thank you for all your input. This is exactly the information I needed. I am glad all you guys on the forums are so awesome and helpful.

I saw some thing on the internet about helmer where a made a renderfarm out of a cabinet but I was hoping for something more substantial like a rack designed for it but cost will determine what I do unfortunately.

Thanks