PDA

View Full Version : multi-threading Screamernet on multi-core machines

dblincoe
12-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Hello guys. I need some help with a multi-core machine and screamer net. I have a Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz 4 cores 16gb memory.

How should I set up my nodes on the multi-core machine to take advantage of the available cores? Should my threads in LW be set to anything specific? I've opened up 1-4 nodes on the machine. The more nodes open the slower they get. That shouldn't happen should it? It seems like a frame rendered in LW renders faster than a frame rendering in screamer net.

Thanks for any help you can give regarding this.

JonW
12-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Should my threads in LW be set to anything specific? No.

When you save the scene, save it with Auto threads. Since you have plenty of ram you may want to run 2 nodes per box, if there are still gaps in CPU usage try 3 nodes, so the CPU is running at 100%.

The CPU resources are just spread across the number of nodes you have. But don't have too many nodes that you start using virtual ram otherwise your stuffed.

If you have 3 computers & you put 2 nodes per box, put nodes 1 & 4 on first box. 2 & 5 on second box, 3 & 6 on third box. This staggers the loading of frames & helps keep the CPU at 100%.

If you are just using 1 box, SN is a bit slow, you maybe better off just running 2 instances of LW & do odd frames on 1 instance & even frames on the other.

Run WTM while you are working at what is best.

dblincoe
12-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks JonW. Some very helpful tips. Like the one about staggering the nodes on each box. I'll give them a shot.

ShadowMystic
01-14-2012, 09:10 AM
I have a similar question regarding this so I won't start a new thread.

Is there anything special I have to do to allow the server to render as well? Would I be better off making another PC the server to allow my new Core i7 full access to its potential for rendering?

dblincoe
01-14-2012, 11:13 AM
I have a similar question regarding this so I won't start a new thread.

Is there anything special I have to do to allow the server to render as well? Would I be better off making another PC the server to allow my new Core i7 full access to its potential for rendering?

Are you talking about using screamer net or another controller? Am I understanding you right? You should be able to run a render node on your server.

JonW
01-14-2012, 02:44 PM
I use a Mac for everything other than LW. So there is no point having my main PC doing nothing, so set up a node or 2 on this one as well.

You may as well experiment using all the PCs & if you find your server being bogged down too much then don't use the node/s on that box. It usually depends how desperate you are to get a job completed.

ShadowMystic
01-14-2012, 09:28 PM
I am looking at setting up a render network using Screamernet and Amleto, and I will decide which I prefer. I was looking at using the method present in Essentials Lightwave v9 for my first time. I just wanted to know if the PC acting as the server(i7 2600k) could be tasked with rendering too or if it would be better to set one of my other PCs at the server if this was the case. I didn't want to go through the entire processes to find I set it up inefficiently.

JonW
01-15-2012, 02:08 PM
I've just used SN & followed Matt's guide, even if you don't use his set up, it will give you a good insight into what's going on. If you set up every computer with the same hierarchy with a LW folder you can easily change the nodes & run SN from a different computer quite quickly.

Also don't forget to make sure all your file names for scenes, objects & images etc don't_have_any_Gaps-in-their-names!