PDA

View Full Version : More IK Problems

daz1761
12-29-2011, 08:46 AM
This is the first time ive done IK with bones

I did this last week, and had no issues after testing him with a few poses. As soon as I try to move the master null, everything moves bar the puppet strings, which concerns me as he is going to travel a few meters from his stationary position. Or is it safe to move him a few meters or more along the Z+ axis?

I have attached a pic to help

Thanks

RebelHill
12-29-2011, 09:06 AM
You havent terminated your IK properly.

You need to set unaffected by Ik of descendents on the bone/item that is the immediate parent of each IK chain... if you dont, then IK root will default to the ultimate hierarchy root, which will in most cases be the pivot point of the mesh that the bones belong to.

daz1761
12-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Excellent!

Thanks for your help. You wouldn't know how I can speed my layout up? I am using a core2 duo macbook pro and just moving even the timeline is slow as anything :(

Thanks!

RebelHill
12-29-2011, 09:37 AM
turn on threaded mesh eval, turn down subdivisions on meshes, disable morf mixers not inuse, turn off colour correct ogl in cs, turn on faster bones... then ofc all the usual stuff like keeping scenes simple, setting up proxy/slave rigs, etc, etc.

daz1761
12-29-2011, 09:48 AM
I dont know whats happening now!

Ive had a crash and now the ik is not moving with the character

RebelHill
12-29-2011, 09:58 AM
is enable Ik turned on?

daz1761
12-29-2011, 10:01 AM
It is, and enable deform is on too, i dont understand as it worked before?

RebelHill
12-29-2011, 10:12 AM
well... ur IK goals appear to be at base pose... ie, us expect straight limbs based on your IK goal position.

daz1761
12-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Im not sure what you mean by that sorry? does that mean I cannot use IK on my character? he's not going to move that much

RebelHill
12-29-2011, 10:21 AM
I mean... in the pic, the ik goals havent moved (or havent moved relative to the limbs)... so why would the limbs?

try moving the Ik goals... do the limbs work?

daz1761
12-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Ah right,

Its still the same, ive tried copying all ketframes from 0-1 then i moved all ik chains and still all the strings remain in the same position, The computer is running awfully slow to which im concerned about even after turning things on and off in the prefs etc.

Ive attached a zip if it helps :)

RebelHill
12-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Ok, well first off... they're not "strings"... not even figuratively speaking, so if you're trying to imagine your Ik as somehow working like that, then its a bad idea, and better off gotten out of your head. Second, ofc they're not moving with your character, as youve not TERMINATED your chains.

Ive no idea why you're copying keyframes about, or what u hope to achieve by it.

If you move the goal nulls (and NOTHING else) do the limbs respond?? if so, then Ik is working fine (though still not setup right).

daz1761
12-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Ok

Well ive spent the last hour changing settings etc and no matter what I do, its just the same. The reason I copied keyframes from 0-1, was because I didnt want to disrupt the base settings on frame 0 and test if all limbs were working correctly with the goal null, which they are.

RebelHill
12-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Ok... so the limbs are working with the goal... so the IK is working... so...

whats the issue?

daz1761
12-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Well, this still (pic attached), even though I have ticked Unaffected by IK of descendants on every bone that has a goal null attached, which is 4 bones, L+R hand bone and L+R ankle bones.

This scene will be loaded eventually into a master scene to be animated, so does this problem with my bounding box not moving when I move my master null (the ring around the waste) that the COG bone is following with a modifier have any effect within my master scene?

RebelHill
12-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Why would u set unaffected by IK of descendents on items that dont have descendents???

You set it on the PARENT items/bones of each IK chain.

And your bounding box is a representation of where the object is (at its base/undeformed state)... bones DEFORM objects, so moves meshes away from their bounding boxes... Ignore bounding boxes, only look at meshes.