PDA

View Full Version : More Cr*p unwanted lines when rendered

daz1761
12-29-2011, 08:19 AM
I think im cursed lately...

All's I have done is create a window, turned the transparency up to 100% with some reflection so objects can be seen through the window, but I have a thin line running around the top edge of the window :(

Ive tried fiddling with sizes, etc but it just keeps rendering the same, it wouldnt bother me really but its the only close up of my scene and has to be right

Some window lighting tips would be good too :)

Thanks

gordonrobb
12-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Not 100 percent sure which line your talking about. Can you point it out and possible show the scene from another angle to show what's what. Is the glass an object ie with thickness? or is it a single poly?

daz1761
12-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Heres another pic with an arrow

Yes, its a single sided poly with no thickness, which is part of the building.

Thanks

Danner
12-29-2011, 01:35 PM
One thing I noticed is that you are not getting shadows from the metal curtain, Lightwave only casts shadows from polygons that are either marked as double sided in the surface editor or facing away from the lights. (shadows cast in the direction of the normals).

For example, if you build a table with one polygon facing up but nothing on the bottom, it will not cast shadows on the floor. But if you build a simple room with holes as windows, and a sun type light outside, the walls will cast shadows into the room.

I say all this because it might be related to your problem, the frame could be single sided, so no shadows are cast to someting that is inside and it's shining like that.

sublimationman
12-29-2011, 11:21 PM
Maybe post a scene file

Is the glass going inside the frame or just touching it?
Is the glass just a box or did you do anything else to it?
Any 2 point polygons?

daz1761
12-30-2011, 02:56 AM
The window is just a 4 point poly, i know as i was making the building I was making sure I was merging points as i went along. The window and building just started life as a box and was built up that way. However, the stand, box, piece of meat, etc are placed inside the building are were originally built using separate layers

I will defo change the metal curtain to double sided to try also

Character scene attached, however, just turn the characters body layer (the main layer) and turn subdivision order to first :)

Thanks

coremi
12-30-2011, 11:48 AM
i think u put the wrong scene, this one have a character and that's all.

XswampyX
12-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Indeed, all I can see is his sausage. :question:

mis
12-30-2011, 12:25 PM
ime alittle confused here

what does the first two images you posted have to do with that character ?

is that for the scene ?

what is the scene posted , a window with a huge chicken leg viewn from outside a building ?

What about lights
what kinda lights are you aiming for ?

daz1761
12-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Sorry guys for being a bit scatty with this one!

The scene with the glass window is a master scene for my character animation, sorry I uploaded the wrong files. Its supposed to be a butchers shop on a long street.

Basically, my scene is about 60% done maybe (needs more animation and textures, etc). I have only one spot light on the scene atm and I have stuck a linear light within the display window (the big chicken leg, well it was supposed to be a leg of ham but never mind lol)

I need help with the display window basically as I am getting thin lines around the edge of the transparent one sided poly (thats apart of the building)

Ive attached a scene and an object file...

The scene requires a few object files and a few texture images but these wont be needed. And Ive attached a picture of roughly what will happen outside the window (well no a great deal atm).

tcoursey
12-30-2011, 06:53 PM
could it be a 2 point poly? Use the W key to pull up the selection dialog and see if you have any 2 point polys? Those can render weird. Just a thought.

Surrealist.
12-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Yeah, exactly what it was. Make sure you are in Polygon select mode when you hit the W button. And then hit the + sign next to the 2 point poly entry. This will select them and you can delete them.

With all layers selected you have 500 of them!

You don't want any.

After you delete them you might want to go back and revisit some of your subpatched parts like the awning and add edge loops to hold the shape better.

daz1761
12-31-2011, 04:23 AM
Interesting

Ive brought the statistics window up and found lots of them but im scared to delete them just in case it ruins the geometry in my scene :(

Is the light in the window ok then? should i be careful how I texture the box the meat is in i.e. no reflections, gloss, etc

coremi
12-31-2011, 04:36 AM
select them, delete them, and then UNDO if something is wrong with the model, or close modeler WITHOUT saving. U should be fine.

daz1761
12-31-2011, 04:45 AM
Will do, but still reluctant as ive only got another week to finish it

How come there are 2 point poly's, i did not put any there, all them simple houses just started life as a box that was beveled like mad, but i did merge points whilst i was doing it, and there were a lot of points appearing to just after a few bevels.

Thanks

xxiii
12-31-2011, 01:27 PM
In your screenshot you are showing point statistics instead of polygon statistics. Point statistics will show the number of polygons that a point is a member of, whereas polygon statistics will show polygons by point count (the number of points that a polygon is made of).

JonW
12-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Sometimes it just happens. Checking & cleaning up work is part of the process if you don't want more work when customers are breathing down your neck near the end of the job.

Make sure you are doing lots & lots of incremental saves just in case Modeler crashes. One learns very quickly after this first happens!

Layout seems to be better but it still worth doing a good number of incremental saves.

In Modeler name every layer, it's much easier when in Layout if every layer of every object is named. Especially if some layers have different things happening to them in Layout & you are trying to hunt down a particular layer to modify.

Also if you have some working layers in Modeler (F7) that you don't want showing in Layout, Un-check the Bullet on the right.

Attached: grouping layers makes searching easier as well.

dwburman
12-31-2011, 05:10 PM
One way 2-pt polys can be formed by deleting some of the points that make up a poly leaving only two points or a row of points.

2-pt polys can also be formed is when you run a merge points operation with a fixed distance. The points that are closest to each other get merged, but the polys don't get reduced.

There are probably some other instances where this can happen, but those are probably some of the most common ones.

Gary Heck
01-01-2012, 09:50 AM
If your afraid of damaging your object, make a copy of your object and save it with a different name...then edit it to test your edits.

daz1761
01-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Cheers guys :)

Yes, I can now see why this happens when merging points, etc.

I ended up backing up the modeller file and deleted all 2 point polys and presto! my window and doors on my house look as they should :)

Another method that will be added to my modeling WILL be to check for troublesome 2 point polys

Thanks again!

Surrealist.
01-02-2012, 06:20 AM
As a note, you should never worry about deleting 2 point polys from your model. For normal modeling, you never need them.

The only time you need 2 point polys is when you create them specifically for certain things and there are a few uses for them.

But you never need them in a "normal" polygon model that will render. They will always mess up a render.

You can bone up on 2 point polys by doing a search for them here. And there are even some old Proton videos where some very practical uses for them are shown. And you can create a model that is all 2 point polys and use it for rendering like on the old Tron effect videos. Another use is a 2 point poly chain for use with dynamics where it does not render but drives another object.

Check it out when you get a chance.:)