PDA

View Full Version : Who said that LW 11 would come out in the fourth quarter this year?

ArtGoblin
12-29-2011, 07:20 AM
Was just wondering... since I vaguely remember reading what I think was an official statement from Newtek that LW 11 would ship before the end of the year.... but I might be wrong, but then again it wouldn't be the first time a product doesn't arrive on time (talking in general). Has there been any official statement on the release? Not talking about the pre-release

50one
12-29-2011, 07:25 AM
...Now, where did I put that pitchfork....

Yeah, would be cool to get some info from Newtek on some behind the scenes or what's going on, even tiny little bit of info

ArtGoblin
12-29-2011, 07:30 AM

hehehe.... It's tempting to go all whiny again, since it surely wouldn't be the first screw up that we could all whine about, but I seriously feel too old to do it... I'm basicly just curious if there is any info on the release that I may not have found yet... or even better, if anyone at Newtek is working between the holydays, to perhaps get some info out there if there's any info to share... that would be an awesome christmas gift :)

jasonwestmas
12-29-2011, 07:54 AM
Chances are with NT and the nature of revamping old software it will take another month or two to kneed out the bugs. Just wouldn't surprise me and I don't mind the extra effort to do so at all.

50one
12-29-2011, 07:59 AM
Chances are with NT and the nature of revamping old software it will take another month or two to kneed out the bugs. Just wouldn't surprise me and I don't mind the extra effort to do so at all.

Well, not surprised, been working with various software developers long enough to know that Q4, means late Q1:) anyway, would be cool to hear something in the lines of "Everything is going great, 80% of the work done blah blah etc." - Anything that will make me think that there is somewhere- someone who know what CRM means(excluding ROB:) but that's not his part of the business anyway).

ArtGoblin
12-29-2011, 08:00 AM
I don't mind the extra effort to do so at all.

Completely agree with that... but I'd still be interested in knowing when to expect it, or how long they belive the delay will be

jasonwestmas
12-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Completely agree with that... but I'd still be interested in knowing when to expect it, or how long they belive the delay will be

I've come to the conclusion that it is best not to expect anything specific from Newtek since their minds are rarely made up about anything. Besides that, they are definitely doing their best to avoid the old "damned if you do, damned if you don't situation."

- Push the product out the door with bugs and you get complaints,

- Go late on the product and you also get complaints.

- Talk too much about issues and progress and you get a whole slew of anti-productive slogans about NT that tend to drown out any of the good feedback.

I understand why some companies don't say a word at all.

Others wait till the product is ready for consumption and then go crazy with the marketing hype and tutorials and other fun stuff which tends to make up for lost time. Pixologic is kinda like that and from what I understand it has worked well for them as a business.

Surrealist.
12-29-2011, 08:31 AM
I did get an email saying that the release date was the 31st of Dec 2011.

Hello,

You are eligible to get Lightwave 11 for free when it is expected to ship December 31 2011

It is written! :D

(bold and it are my addition to the quote)

50one
12-29-2011, 08:34 AM
"damned if you do, damned if you don't situation."

Quote: Hello,

You are eligible to get Lightwave 11 for free when it is expected to ship December 31 2011

Damn you Newtek if you don't release it before than! HAHA:thumbsup:

jasonwestmas
12-29-2011, 08:38 AM

Yes, I forgot to mention that they still have a few days till it is to be released anyway.

ArtGoblin
12-29-2011, 08:41 AM

So basicly they've only made promises about when they ship the pre-release that has allready been released some weeks ago? Well if that's the case, than they've definantly held their promise so cudos

Surrealist.
12-29-2011, 09:17 AM
lol well yes, I got my LightWave 10.1 2 days before the release of 11 which actually technically made me eligible for a free version 11 right there. It is just one of those things they had not planned on. Because since I had bought it so close to the release date that meant it was a free upgrade for me. But also because I was a 10.1 owner that made me eligible for the pre-release. Just that they had no plans to be giving it away for free so soon. So they had to make up some kind of story to cover their arse and told me I was in fact not eligible until the release date. Nothing to biatch about. Just kind of funny actually.:D

Surrealist.
12-29-2011, 09:32 AM
Yes, I forgot to mention that they still have a few days till it is to be released anyway.

A yes but the all mighty "expected" qualifier. Let's just see. Kind of with you though. I can wait if need be. But would love to get my hands on instancing.

Matt
12-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Yeah, would be cool to get some info from Newtek on some behind the scenes or what's going on, even tiny little bit of info

Some info on this is coming shortly.

50one
12-29-2011, 10:38 AM
BTW, when we're gonna see any examples/demos of new FBX i/o and some unity/LW demo or GoZ??

The only stuff we're getting is the dynamics/instances videos.

I know it's down to users that do those tests and post the result here, but I'm sure there are videos or anything that showcase this stuff but done by Newtek?

Some info on this is coming shortly.
Awesome!

GandB
12-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Been asking that for awhile now; only met with silence from NT. Rob said everything shown at the Conference was IN LW now; so why isn't there anything shown?

OnlineRender
12-29-2011, 12:03 PM
are we taking this from what Rob said at the event , because if you listen to it back he says " we are aiming for q4 ! " so no real solid date or promise , chill people chill , when it comes it comes for now I am happy people are beta testing and giving solid feedback , better than a hash dash effort ....

Darth Mole
12-29-2011, 12:53 PM
I would always prefer an app update to be bug-free rather than early and potentially flaky. It does no-one any good and NT can I'll afford the negative press. Rather, forum posts saying 'LW11 was a little bit late but is rock-solid and a joy to use' is far preferable to the alternative. This is a marathon (or rather a series of marathons) not a sprint!

pauland
12-29-2011, 01:00 PM
You can cut and paste the thread contents from any similar thread from Newtek LW releases for the last six releases that I know about. I'm not sure why people bother to query any slippage any more.

It's never a good plan to release software before it's ready.

50one
12-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Who said, we're pushing anyone for early release?

All the people in this thread just asked for any info regarding the progress, nothing more, hopefully we will get some stuff as Matt said earlier on, fingers crossed.

colkai
12-30-2011, 03:38 AM
You can cut and paste the thread contents from any similar thread from Newtek LW releases for the last six releases that I know about. I'm not sure why people bother to query any slippage any more.

Truthsay, I think that's why Newtek have started to talk in vague terms now, which is sensible as it's darned rare they've ever actually hit their initial idea for a release date.

It's never a good plan to release software before it's ready.
Ahh come on, software is never ready, that's the one thing I can say with certainty after 30 years in the game. :p
You just know someone somewhere will do something you never dreamed of as it makes no sense and BOOM. Next thing ya know, you're writing a bug fix. ;)

ArtGoblin
12-30-2011, 06:06 AM
so...there are two things... 1. just started this thread to check if there was some information about the release that I might have missed, not to push or whine for NT to give us a bone, even though bones are always nice :)

2. I think I got an answer on my original question about if the release would be in the 4rth quarter, and it turns out that the only release date given was regarding the pre-release, which has certainly come out on time, this is in a way good news, and add to that the possibility of Matt coming to us with some cool news soon, this is a happy thread, hope it stays in happy land a bit longer

kfinla
12-30-2011, 08:19 AM
I'm fine with the wait. More time to save my money, more time to compare features and decide what upgrades I purchase.

stiff paper
12-30-2011, 10:00 AM
There's a whole day and a half of Q4 to go yet. Loads of time. I don't know what you're all griping about.

From the Newtek website:
"LightWave eleven expected to ship in Q4."
And:
"The final is slated to release around the end of the year."
And:
"LightWave 11 will be shipping to customers by the end of the year."
And:
"When is the full release of LightWave 11 coming?
We have slated the final release of LightWave 11 to be by the end of the year."

You can all have a really good bleat on Jan 1st if it didn't make it.

biliousfrog
12-30-2011, 10:03 AM
I've got a workstation primed and ready for LW11 to be installed before I start work in the new year...

probiner
12-30-2011, 02:20 PM

Model another one :D

50one
12-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Any news?:)

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2010/07/500x_custom_1279603353670_frankenstein_mob.jpg

:dance:

colkai
12-31-2011, 03:55 AM
Vait! - A riot is an ugly thing. ;)

vector
01-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Be positive. Somebody said : "No news, good news!" so no news about a delay may mean LW11 is not far away now :)

jasonwestmas
01-02-2012, 08:31 AM
hehe, they won't say anything till tomorrow or the next because for some reason a lot of companies declare this day off as well. I have no idea why the 2nd day of the year is a holiday but seemingly it is. Must be because all the drinking but any other day that's hardly an excuse. =)

50one
01-02-2012, 08:49 AM
hehe, it seems that someone has missed the official announcement from Chuck regarding LW 11:D

jasonwestmas
01-02-2012, 08:50 AM
hehe, it seems that someone has missed the official announcement from Chuck regarding LW 11:D

no,no, That was a pre-announcement for a later announcement. :D I'm pretty sure there was nothing official about it either.

Edit: I guess I should rephrase that and say just because someone of importance from NT says something thoughtful doesn't mean he is speaking for the entire company and makes the statement official automagically.

50one
01-02-2012, 09:00 AM
ahhh:D, in that case, that was me not reading small paragraphs, thought they're just gonna release it at the end of Jan' that's all, but that's cool, hopefully there will be some demos of FBX/Unity/GoZ and other stuff.

biliousfrog
01-02-2012, 09:01 AM
...I have no idea why the 2nd day of the year is a holiday but seemingly it is. Must be because all the drinking but any other day that's hardly an excuse. =)

In the UK, New Years Day is classed as public holiday but, because it is already on a weekend, the following day is treated as public holiday instead...otherwise the public would be angry about losing a days holiday. The same goes for Boxing Day.

jasonwestmas
01-02-2012, 09:06 AM
In the UK, New Years Day is classed as public holiday but, because it is already on a weekend, the following day is treated as public holiday instead...otherwise the public would be angry about losing a days holiday. The same goes for Boxing Day.

Yes, I'm sure Crabbiness is a definite factor to why the day after is a holiday as well. :D Good to know it's the same in the UK.

jasonwestmas
01-02-2012, 09:07 AM
ahhh:D, in that case, that was me not reading small paragraphs, thought they're just gonna release it at the end of Jan' that's all, but that's cool, hopefully there will be some demos of FBX/Unity/GoZ and other stuff.

I actually didn't notice Chuck put that paragraph up in the rafters for all to see, good move on his part, but I'm pretty sure there is going to be something more official coming later. ;)

evenflcw
01-02-2012, 11:21 AM

How unfair (for the employer)! This Christmas/New Year was crap with respect to the number of public holidays, but the coming Christmas/New Year will be the exact opposite!