PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly net render - QUESTIONS

desegno
12-27-2011, 03:38 AM
:help:Hi boys, i've a question on Butterfly Net Render.
i've in total 3 pc=
1) One core i7 = 8 core virtual
2) One core i7 = 8 core virtual
3) One Quad core q6600 = 4 core

total is 20 cores for 3cpu
question: i need of 20 rendernode in BNR or only 5 package?????

i think 5 render node solution but Butterfly contact give me another answers (Professional 15 node + 5 node)
who can help me????
i never use butterfly!!!!:thumbsup::help:

biliousfrog
12-27-2011, 04:16 AM
You only need a node per computer.

desegno
12-27-2011, 05:12 AM
hi,

About this question and about the Paul lord's answer i've a little theory (where he said to me that i need 20 nodes licence)
I'm thinking something like this:

If i USE 1 licence key for each PHISYCAL CPU in the MasterList i'll see:

1 Slave each computer i got

Example:

i7 2600k 8 CPU in taskmanager
Q99xx 8 CPU in taskmanager
Q6600 4 CPU in taskmanager
----
20 cores but only 3 rendernodes.

For some guys this HW require only 3 licences . For the Owner of the product this HW require 20 licences.

I think this HW will works both with 3 and 20 with this great difference:

3 LICENCES mode:

Where i try to "render" 60 frames they will be subdivided in

3 nodes with 1 frame per node . See the details

Case of i7-2600k -> this is a SINGLE node, with 8 CORES(in simple way cpu) it will be able to render 1 frame at time

20 LICENCES mode:

where i try to "render" 60 frames they will be subdivided in

20 nodes with 1 frame per node. See the details

Case of i7-2600k -> this is a MULTI node (8) and it will be able to render 8 frames in parallel (that's is different if you try to change the option "MAX FRAMES PER NODE")

if you choose for the i7-2600k those 2 cases:

1 licence - 1 rendernode = 1 frame at time
8 licence - 8 rendernode = 8 frame at time in parallel mode (1 for each indipendent core)

the first case may be 8 times more slower than the second case.

if you (in the first case) change the "max frames per node" from 1 to 8, it will not be the same as the first case,

I think all this.

Do you think that's possible?

data3d
12-27-2011, 01:57 PM
hi,

About this question and about the Paul lord's answer i've a little theory (where he said to me that i need 20 nodes licence)
I'm thinking something like this:

If i USE 1 licence key for each PHISYCAL CPU in the MasterList i'll see:

1 Slave each computer i got

Example:

i7 2600k 8 CPU in taskmanager
Q99xx 8 CPU in taskmanager
Q6600 4 CPU in taskmanager
----
20 cores but only 3 rendernodes.

I use BNR (has worked very well for me) and you match up one node per core. I don't see that you have 20 cores though... each of your 3 CPU's is a quad core, so in your case, your total is currently 12. As each Core can handle two threads via multi-threading, it may show up as 8, but it is still only 4 cores. In your case, you would be fine with the 15 node pack with room to grow!

Good luck!

monovich
12-27-2011, 03:45 PM
I have the five node professional license because I have five physical computers. It doesn't matter how many cores I have.

Professional is nice because it allows splitting, groups, prioritizing, etc. All in all I couldn't recommend BNR with any higher praise. Its an excellent application.

data3d
12-27-2011, 05:53 PM
I have the five node professional license because I have five physical computers. It doesn't matter how many cores I have.

Professional is nice because it allows splitting, groups, prioritizing, etc. All in all I couldn't recommend BNR with any higher praise. Its an excellent application.

I stand corrected from my previous post. Thanks for the clarification, Monovich. Here is the core/node information directly from the Liquid Dreams FAQ:

Is each Processor in a Dual or Quad system considered a Render Node?

Answer

Yes, but, you could configure the rendernodes to use all CPU's or a single CPU/Core in a multiprocessor system.

So you are not locked into using a rendernode per CPU/Core - you can configure them depending on the type of render system you will be using.

Hope that helps.

desegno
12-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Thank's all, i think buy now 5 node (1 for pc)....professional BNR in future see it!!!
thank's

biliousfrog
12-30-2011, 09:39 AM

Same here, I'm about to upgrade to the latest standard version (from PE) so that I can use LW11 + render a single frame over the network. I've got multi-core and multi-processor computers on the network but run each PC as a node. I guess I could run two nodes on the multi-processor PC's but I'd just get two frames rendering at half the speed so there wouldn't be any benefit.

I know that some people don't like it but, personally, I love it. It's dead easy to set up and does all the basic stuff with ease.

tcoursey
12-31-2011, 07:56 AM

We have many machines as well. Dual CPU Multi core "boxes". We setup each machine as a NODE not each CORE. We have done testing and have found that there is little to no difference (and in some cases worse) results using each CORE as a NODE. Setup BNR to use RANDOM CPU, so that it doesn't address each individual CORE, but all of them. Your computer will render just like Lightwave in multithreaded mode. This does several things for us. It keeps our licenses down, the headache of managing tons of NODES etc.

Your welcome to do as you wish but we have used BNR for many years now, Paul is great! The only thing I would not want to tell you is cheat the license in some way. If he's changed the way you should license the software that changes everything.

Good luck.

desegno
01-03-2012, 09:37 AM
yesterday buyed professional 5 nodes...i think saturday test all!!
thank's

Greenlaw
01-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Just to support what others are saying, I have my BNR farm setup to do 1 node per computer. I used to have it configured for 2 nodes per computer but in many 'final render' situations, I found that it's not that much faster, and if you use radiosity, instances, voxels or any other CPU intense features, it's better to have all your processors working on a single frame because splitting up your processing power and memory, and adding more data traffic may actually slow things down.

For really simple scenes that require less memory and processing, having more nodes per computer might be faster because there will be lower ram requirements and less traffic, but if the frames are rendering really fast anyway the difference might not be worth getting excited over.

That's just my opinion of course. Your own rendering situation may be different from mine.

Good luck and happy rendering! :)

G.