PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 10 GUI font change?

pming
12-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Hiya.

So...is it possible to increase and or change the text in Lightwave's GUI? It's just too damn small for me to easily read it when I'm getting tired, and my eyes aren't getting any better as I age. The arial text is also harder to read than a serif type font.

I poked around my settings and couldn't find anything that lets me change it. I haven't really used LW in months, but needed to do a quick Coke-a-Cola can and my normal modeling tool (Hexagon) has suddenly developed a case of "internal error'itis". :( But, I find myself squinting and leaning forward a lot to try and see what button label I want to click on to get an Extrude, for example.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

geo_n
12-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Layout can but not modeller. -f font size, switch will do it.
They havent fixed it for lw 11 so modeller is not so useful in a laptop.

pming
12-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Crap.

JonW
12-26-2011, 10:19 PM
In the meantime give as many buttons as many keyboard shortcuts as possible & or change the ones you don't use.

battery555
12-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Hiya.

So...is it possible to increase and or change the text in Lightwave's GUI? It's just too damn small for me to easily read it when I'm getting tired, and my eyes aren't getting any better as I age. The arial text is also harder to read than a serif type font.

You are not alone. I ask the same question before. The layout and color of the UI is customizable but not the font size 8~

pat-lek
12-27-2011, 12:45 AM
I have the same problem

But, i think that changing the screen résolution is the simple way to resolve this problem. (My native resoiution on my Imac is 1920X1200 and it's not comfortable for reading the menu)

(And perhaps, we need a préférence panel for the screen resolution at start, like many games)

Matt
12-27-2011, 08:32 AM
Even though you can change the front in Layout using the -f switch, it's kinda an experiment, and only really works for fonts the same size, as not of the UI code is font sensitive.

This is something that needs addressing in future, but is not a trivial task unfortunately.

Shnoze Shmon
12-27-2011, 11:18 AM
In the meantime a solution you may not like but might have forgotten is changing the screen resolution.

Cryonic
12-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Changing the screen resolution on an LCD is a bad choice. They will get fuzzy if you run them at a resolution other than their stated size which could lead to bigger headaches while trying to work.

Rayek
12-27-2011, 05:37 PM
...Or switch to a large format 1080p television screen.

A mate of mine did that, because of his eye sight waning. He now works on a huge television screen at 1920*1080p. Works for him.

Though, in this day and age, Newtek devs ought to have added that basic GUI functionality. The GUI flexibility of Lightwave is NILL. That's not running with the times, is it?

Cryonic
12-28-2011, 12:49 AM
Maybe it is partly there, but not exposed in the interface. LW10 installs QT helper stuff which suggests that at least part of the GUI is drawn by QT (not to be confused with Apple's Quicktime). QT uses CSS to describe elements layout, which includes font type and size. Maybe hidden in the .newtek folder is those files that the user can fiddle with to make the changes.

geo_n
12-28-2011, 01:26 AM
Btw, a bit related. Whenever I buy training videos online, I check the author is using a low desktop res. I notice some are using 1440x900 or 1080p, I didn't buy those. Its unreadable and hard to follow the tutorials. This is especially true for lw with text based gui. The videos from kurv were always great. Very clear. So anyone selling training videos, please use bigger fonts. :D

Rayek
12-28-2011, 01:52 AM
Btw, a bit related. Whenever I buy training videos online, I check the author is using a low desktop res. I notice some are using 1440x900 or 1080p, I didn't buy those. Its unreadable and hard to follow the tutorials. This is especially true for lw with text based gui. The videos from kurv were always great. Very clear. So anyone selling training videos, please use bigger fonts. :D

Hmm, thanks for the tip - I make tutorial videos myself, and although I record at lower resolution, it is good to hear that might influence whether or not people will watch it.

Matt
12-29-2011, 10:41 AM
Maybe it is partly there, but not exposed in the interface. LW10 installs QT helper stuff which suggests that at least part of the GUI is drawn by QT (not to be confused with Apple's Quicktime). QT uses CSS to describe elements layout, which includes font type and size. Maybe hidden in the .newtek folder is those files that the user can fiddle with to make the changes.

The LW UI is not using Qt at this moment, Qt is being used for other things.

Cryonic
12-29-2011, 04:37 PM
The LW UI is not using Qt at this moment, Qt is being used for other things.

OK. Good to know. I just remembered that CORE was using QT and saw that 10.x was installing QT stuff.

Ross Doctor
02-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Where i have to write that in layout? what is the right sintax? for example -f arial 14 ?

Layout can but not modeller. -f font size, switch will do it.
They havent fixed it for lw 11 so modeller is not so useful in a laptop.

hrgiger
02-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Have you considered getting something like this and taping it so it hangs over the menu side of the screen? Might help. http://www.amazon.com/Full-Page-Magnifier-Fresnel-Lens/dp/B001TLJXJ8/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1360871986&sr=8-15&keywords=magnifying

Birck Cox
11-29-2018, 06:00 AM
It would be helpful, as well, if the UI text were changeable in terms of color. Right now, mine is pale grey on pale blue or green. Even at highest resolution, I still have to squint to read it. I notice that William Vaughan's videos, on the other hand, show a UI with black type on pale color BG, and even though the images are smaller than my UI, they are more readable. How can I do that in Modeler?

Tim Parsons
11-29-2018, 06:53 AM
Both Layout and Modeler can have custom colors. If you are running version 2015 or 2018 it's in the Display Options. Not sure about 11 or 10 those controls might be in the HUB.

Birck Cox
11-29-2018, 07:17 AM
Both Layout and Modeler can have custom colors. If you are running version 2015 or 2018 it's in the Display Options. Not sure about 11 or 10 those controls might be in the HUB.
Thank you, Mr. Parsons. It took me a while, but i did it. Now I can actually read the labels from a seated position.

Tim Parsons
11-29-2018, 07:31 AM
Thank you, Mr. Parsons. It took me a while, but i did it. Now I can actually read the labels from a seated position.:thumbsup: What version are you running?

Birck Cox
12-04-2018, 05:36 AM
Sorry about the long delay. I was running 10.1. Now I am running 2015. And the combination of higher rez and better contrast for the buttons makes a world of difference. It took quite a while to decipher the details of the Display Options, but it was worth it. So I guess Customizing the Interface can be helpful early in the learning process.

Tim Parsons
12-04-2018, 06:49 AM
Going from 10 to 2015 - great decision! 10 was a stop gap upgrade. :)