PDA

View Full Version : Capturing DVD?

toaster
10-17-2003, 06:28 AM
:confused:

Hello out there,

I use VT2, how do I capture from my built in DVD drive.

Can VT2 do this ???

Paul Lara
10-17-2003, 08:20 AM
You'll need some external software to 'rip' the data.
If there is a video output on your DVD drive, you can certainly use that.

PIZAZZ
10-17-2003, 08:21 AM
I have heard of a program called SmartRipper that works well. It can rip the individual chapters out of a DVD also. Then just rename the VOB files to .mpg via Windows explorer.

Of course this is just what I "heard".

Check out vcdhelp.com for tons of info.

Scott Bates
10-17-2003, 08:27 AM
DVD Decrypter (http://www.dvddecrypter.com) (shareware) works great. I also use it to rip .iso files from discs burned on my stand-alone recorder for dubs.

Kurt_Henning
10-17-2003, 09:35 AM
I tried the ripping thing

But then I thought, how about just playing the DVD into the toaster via y/c and unbalanced audio in and it worked just fine.

This may not be possible now, but it worked for me.

I just patched the settop DVD player into the BOB and captured the video

BANG your done

I don't think you can do this with a computer one as easily

Aegis
10-17-2003, 09:43 AM
Anyone know if you can do this with LaserDisc? DVDs capture fine (I use S-Video from my Pioneer DVL-909) but LaserDiscs are a MESS!

Any ideas?

cholo
10-17-2003, 10:53 AM
Probably need a black box to get rid of Laserdisc's Macrovision? Just a thought. I've also discovered that passing Macrovision signals thru a Perception PVR (good use for old hardware heh) removes the Macrovision with no distortion at all. Other than that, Laserdisc image quality is heavily dependant upon circuitry quality so if you want the best image quality possible you need an industrial or prosumer "elite" series player to take advantage of the best possible comb filters and NR circuitry. :)

PIZAZZ
10-17-2003, 10:57 AM
ripping is better if you need a complete DVD. I actually use it to pull individual chaptered songs off of our music video dvds.

The analog method would/should work just fine with either DVD or Laser Disc via Y/C and RCA audio in. The VT software tends to ignore the anticopy content that is embedded in a DVD every 15 seconds or so. Can't go from a DVD player to a DVCam I know for sure. But I can go directly into VT2 or 3 with no problems.

I doubt there is something preventing VT from recording the LaserDisc. Did you try sending it through an external TBC?? that is another method of killing macrovision and copy protection.

Of course this is all just stuff I hear. I have never willingly tried to illegally record and copywrighted content. ;)

Your mileage may vary.

Aegis
10-17-2003, 11:10 AM
Of course this is all just stuff I hear. I have never willingly tried to illegally record and copywrighted content.

Well, it's not something I'd do usually but I've been re-editing my showreel and one of the projects I've done I couldn't get the original sequences from the company I worked for at the time (long story ;)) so I bought the LaserDisc (a few years back) and tried to grab it from that - no joy so I recently rented the DVD and managed to capture it from that just fine...

JReble
10-17-2003, 02:46 PM
Just for reference sake, I am aware that the macrovision information is stripped away from any video signal with a TBC/Frame Synchronizer. Since the Toaster has a frame sync on the input, that should do away with it nicely. To dump straight to a VTR like the DVCAM, you just need to run through one of them devices, either in the Toaster or a stadalone unit. Works fine when making fair use dubs as you are entitled to.

djlithium
10-17-2003, 06:16 PM
I think the idea was that since a DVD software player uses direct show, why not have it show up on the switcher bus??

Probably some legal issues there.

However I feel that anything you can play back on your computer in a player should show up on the switcher as a direct show input.

thoughts?

And can someone please talk to MS and convince them that WMV playback inside t3 is critical for production uses. It's really a good thing to have as a tool for stuff now that WMV 9 supports timecode. :)

Laurence Winsto
10-19-2003, 11:09 PM
capturing using the Outputs from a desktop DVD seems the fastest and easiest way to run DVD's through the switcher to output.
Have tried very unsucsessfully to use the PC's DVD player, WMplayer 9 should alow this but it dosen't, Audio comes in great, labbelled as wmplayer but never had the vision.

Leaves me to ask the question..
What is the preference....

"WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYBACK" - " USES VT CARD FOR OUTPUT"

actually there for and what dose it do, if anything?

:confused:

tfrank
10-20-2003, 10:59 AM
It isn't easy to tell from the conversation in this thread, but I would suppose that those who are ripping info from DVD's and laser disks have permission to do so from their copyright owners? If you don't, please proceed with caution as a failure to get permission can be very costly. We kind of got off easy when a "generic" picture we used in a production was noticed by the original photographer. It only cost us $50., it could have been worse....It's a small world out there!

Scott Bates
10-20-2003, 11:07 AM
Amen. The only ripping I do is off the DVDs I create and burn for customers. Heck, we don't even have a DVD player in the living room (yet).

Jim_C
10-20-2003, 12:13 PM
>>>>are ripping info from DVD's and laser disks have permission to do so from their copyright owners? If you don't, please proceed with caution as a failure to get permission can be very costly.

Actually I'm using my rips to reassemble and sell on Ebay.
Ive already got Revolutions. Interested , Im selling it for 90 bucks since its not even out yet.

:D

BIG JOKE THERE. haha

Little copyright story I got smacked with. 1995, I was working as a promo editor at a tv station. I had to make a promo for our 2am-5am movie block.I grabbed a few riffs and Lines from Phish's song "Dinner and a Movie" .."lets go out dinner and see a movie...etc"
Well I was younger, and a little dumber and figured the promo only runs after 1am anyway. (plus the music made a great promo).
Anyway month or so later Phish actually cam to town to play a gig, someone in mgmt or the band was up late enough to see the promo, and they quickly dispatched a corporate hound to the station to take care of the situation. He was way cool and just made me pull it, but left a very official letter with th GM warning of future infringements.

So thats why all my DVD's sold on Ebay are now sold by Mr. X.
hahaha thats that joke again.

that is all,
carry on
runaway jim

Aegis
10-20-2003, 01:27 PM
The copyright question is an interesting one for a freelance animator - my notes about capturing sequences from a DVD/LaserDisc movie were in reference to my showreel - i.e. I did some work on a motion picture which obviously I want on my showreel however, the work I did was delivered in layers (background, foreground elements) which only work when composited together with the practical elements so I needed the finished sequences. What would you guys (and gals) have done in the same situation?

tfrank
10-20-2003, 03:05 PM
As I understand the copyright laws, unless you specifically withheld the rights to your work in some written form with your client, ...you no longer "own" or have rights to it after they pay you for it. Having worked on a couple of movies myself, the producer/production company now "owns" it. In your situation, I would contact the folks that you did the work for...explain to them what you want to use the work for, and get a written release. I can't believe they would have a problem with it...as long as they know about it. They may ask for a small "credit" on your reel. Any other thoughts out there?