PDA

View Full Version : Server Side Cache Question and Web Host Recommendations

BlueApple
12-26-2011, 07:59 AM
I recently switched from iPower to FatCow to host my site (http://www.blueapplestudio.com/), and seeing updates to my site now takes a long time.

Previously when updating my site with iPower, I would upload a file via FTP, empty my browser cache, hit refresh, and the new content would appear. Now, it can take a day before I see the new content appear. I recently uploaded new content, checked the Date Modified in the FTP window to verify the files uploaded, and then emptied the caches in Safari on my Mac (isp: Comcast), Explorer on my PC laptop (isp: Comcast), and iPhone (isp: AT&T). All three devices displayed old content still. On my wife's iPad (which checks my site far less frequently) it immediately displayed the new content.

I am wondering if the FatCow servers are caching my site somehow, and only sending non-cached data to devices that they think need it. Any thoughts on if this is possible/true/likely? Are they just overselling server space?

I am also interested in knowing what hosts you all recommend. My site gets little traffic, but I need it to reliably be there and working. I don't want my email to be down frequently, which is why I left iPower. And, I'd like to be able to change my site and see those changes rather quickly.

Thanks for any help, folks.

OnlineRender
12-26-2011, 08:01 AM
is it joomla ? if it is I know the issue and why it does that .

OnlineRender
12-26-2011, 08:18 AM
try this in your header <head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="300">
</head>

BlueApple
12-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the speedy response. I am not sure if FatCow uses joomla, but I did a quick search and saw this:

http://www.fatcow.com/knowledgebase/kb_category.bml?c=424

Does that look like they are using it? I am not very advanced in these matters, as you can probably tell. Is there a way for me to check for joomla use, as well as Unix support?

OnlineRender
12-26-2011, 08:21 AM
I wouldnt use fatcow there reviews are shocking , ie slow response and refresh server times , try hostgator or arvixe or go daddy

http://www.vistainter.com/reviews/F/fatcow.com/

I dont think you have joomla otherwise I would be able to access the ACP url ,in which I cannot

BlueApple
12-26-2011, 08:31 AM
The addition to the head tag you suggested isn't working, and I think I read elsewhere that someone wasn't able to get that to work either.

Why are devices that look at my site frequently not getting the new content whereas devices that rarely/never go to my site immediately get the new stuff? When I talked to their tech support they said my site was displaying the new content for them, which makes sense as they never would've viewed my site before.

I will look into your other recommendations for hosts. I appreciate your help.

OnlineRender
12-26-2011, 08:38 AM
what browser you using ? are you doing clear refresh cache ie google chrome shift + f5 ?

BlueApple
12-26-2011, 08:46 AM
I have used Safari on my Mac Pro (Safari>EmptyCache).
I have used Safari on my iPhone (settings>Safari>ClearCookiesAndData).
I have used Internet Explorer on a PC (not sure, but I believe Tools>InternetOptions>Delete a bunch of stuff with check boxes all on.)

Traveler
12-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Depending on settings your browser keeps pages in cache for whenever you revisit them. This is useful because a page usually loads faster when (partially) in cache, plus it helps the owner of the site to save bandwidth because he usually has to pay for that.

A Ctrl-F5 should force a request to get the latest version of a page regardless of what you already have in cache. Alternatively it's also possible to change the browser cache settings to for example remove cached files on browser termination.

On the other hand, as the creator of the webpage you have the option to add meta tags that specify the 'lifetime' of a page. Or if you so wish, that pages are never cached at all.

The tag OnlineRender posted specifies the refresh duration of a page. In other words the page automatically counts from the specified time to zero and then performs an automatic refresh. This however does not impact how pages are cached.

Check this website http://www.i18nguy.com/markup/metatags.html to get information and examples about several useful meta tags, including those that either prevent caching or set it to a specific date/time.

The tags you're looking for when you do not want to cache anything is the tag combination:
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">

BlueApple
12-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the help, Traveler. We tried modifying the .htaccess file to prevent caching to no avail. In the end, FatCow disabled caching for my site, and that seems to have worked.