they give SpeedTreeCAD 4 away for free once you have an account
which is also free
hell..... that's a nice XMAS present

just downloaded it
looking good

still playing with it

jasonwestmas
12-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Hero Engine is giving it away for free? I wonder how that works.

archijam
12-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Hi .. where exactly? don't see any mention of SpeedTree after logging in ? Thanks!

renderwerx
12-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Hi

It's on the downloadpage at the bottom.
It may take a while until your account is ready
(they have to set up your cloud first...)

see screenshot below

regards
Nik

archijam
12-26-2011, 04:09 AM
Danke Dominik :)

renderwerx
12-26-2011, 11:57 PM
Kein Problem
Viel Spaß

:)

Philbert
12-30-2011, 12:30 PM
I downloaded this and just played with it briefly. It's a shame there's almost no info on this version anywhere. I can't even find a YouTube video about it.

goakes
12-31-2011, 08:05 PM
Phil I did the same. Like all unfamiliar SW it was a bit of a head butt.
Exported this tree (.dae) and all the parts,textures,uvs showed up in modeler. Had to remap all but at least they were all there. Here is a quick
VPR render of the tree over a background photo I grabbed from the web.
I think SpeedTree may be worth the effort. 100646

Philbert
12-31-2011, 08:20 PM
I'll have to give it another look, maybe the Hero Engine forum will have some tutorials or something.

archijam
01-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Phil I did the same. Like all unfamiliar SW it was a bit of a head butt.
Exported this tree (.dae) and all the parts,textures,uvs showed up in modeler. Had to remap all but at least they were all there. Here is a quick
VPR render of the tree over a background photo I grabbed from the web.
I think SpeedTree may be worth the effort. 100646

Nice example, very useful. Cheers! :)

jasonwestmas
01-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Does Hero support collada or fbx yet? I guess I'll find out soon enough, my free 99 seats are ready hehe.

goakes
01-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Jason, I think no FBX but did not look to deeply.

Phil, there is some tuts inside the app itself.

Archijam. Thanks.

Philbert
01-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Phil, there is some tuts inside the app itself.

Oh thanks I didn't see that before. I see it in the Help file now, assuming that's what you mean.

archijam
01-02-2012, 02:02 AM
I am curious - the tree sample pack has 6 (+) trees .. but where does one get more? Is it possible to buy speedtree libraries?

jeric_synergy
01-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Hi

It's on the downloadpage at the bottom.
It may take a while until your account is ready
(they have to set up your cloud first...)

see screenshot below

regards
Nik
Still not seeing it. Could you back up a couple steps on the path? THANKS!

jasonwestmas
01-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Log into your account in hero cloud and then go to "All Available Downloads" Listed in the block on the left hand side. Then in the "Hero Cloud Additional Downloads" section at the bottom is where you will find Speed Tree.

jeric_synergy
01-02-2012, 12:11 PM
jasonwestmas, thanks for making that clearer: it's a bit of a maze over there.

Appreciated!

archijam
01-02-2012, 02:04 PM
You have to wait until they have 'activated' your cloud ..

In case anyone is searching, here is the Hero Engine Wiki page for SpeedTree:
http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/SpeedTree :thumbsup:

jeric_synergy
01-02-2012, 03:40 PM
You have to wait until they have 'activated' your cloud ..
I hope they at least buy me dinner first. :D

jasonwestmas
01-02-2012, 03:50 PM
I hope they at least buy me dinner first. :D

Funny you should say that. A buddy of mine hooked me up with a free demo. We went down to KC and they did buy me dinner he,he. I'm so glad they changed their business model. :D

m.d.
01-02-2012, 08:43 PM
looks like that version only export .str speed tree files...meant to be used with the other speed tree products....not sure if it will do much outside of the hero engine

prometheus
01-03-2012, 03:04 AM
Guys working with houdini seem lucky..speed tree cinema latest release has been developed with houdini in mind and lot´s of support.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2004&Itemid=66

Michael

Philbert
01-03-2012, 06:59 AM
looks like that version only export .str speed tree files...meant to be used with the other speed tree products....not sure if it will do much outside of the hero engine

It works, I just tested. You have to save the .spt file first, but then you can export as DAE, XML, or OBJ. The OBJ loaded fine in to Modeler

prometheus
01-03-2012, 07:03 AM
what´s the difference from speedtree cinema version 6.0.1?

I just tested that demo, export to fbx, had to swith to y- axis, set it to export out alpha tga for the leaves. you have to manually load those to the transparency channel, set transparency to 100%..also change the alpha map to inverted for it to be correct.

however, the demo export´s out missing polygons, so it aint looking good exactly.

Michael

m.d.
01-03-2012, 08:25 AM
i think speed tree 6 will export wind animated trees via point cache...
also has some cool dynamic destruction of trees also exportable...

i think this version SpeedTreeCAD will only export static meshes
(would happily be proven wrong)

Philbert
01-03-2012, 08:37 AM
OK I tested a little further and Y was facing the right way but I did need to make the leaf / frond textures double sided, plus remove the luminosity, and the leaves / fronds do not have transparency though they do have an alpha channel in the image. I'm completely blanking on how to use that for transparency though.

There's not much info on SpeedTree CAD but Wikipedia says it was replaced by SpeedTree Modeler, which is only a small part of the current SpeedTree package.

prometheus
01-03-2012, 09:04 AM
OK I tested a little further and Y was facing the right way but I did need to make the leaf / frond textures double sided, plus remove the luminosity, and the leaves / fronds do not have transparency though they do have an alpha channel in the image. I'm completely blanking on how to use that for transparency though.

There's not much info on SpeedTree CAD but Wikipedia says it was replaced by SpeedTree Modeler, which is only a small part of the current SpeedTree package.

that´s right, I missed to say that, double sided is needed for the leaves.
I exported out seperate alpha tga textures in the speed tree option, then in transparency channel you have to load those in, and invert them, use the uv diffuse uv map.
Set transparency to 100, that should be it.
Do a test render with lightwaves final render, the vpr In my version at work don´t render that transparency correctly...have to check at home on lw11.
I exported speed tree as fbx.

I wonder..is there any difference between this speedtree 6 demo UI and the free version? (check image)

Michael

Philbert
01-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Big UI difference.

prometheus
01-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Big UI difference.

Ahh..that´s what I guessed, doesn´t seem to be the same beast, I suspect you miss a lot such as tweaking with nodes etc.

Check the demo if you can, to see the difference.
The trees themself looks way more uggly too.

Michael

Philbert
01-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Yeah, the thing is, it's free. Tough to beat that.

prometheus
01-04-2012, 06:55 AM
this is ridiculous, trying to draw a new tree here in speed tree cinema 6 demo, sweet with spacebar and just draw branches or trunk, but how the heck do you assign the material or texture of for example a broadleaf bark, I can load the texture etc..but cant find a way to assign it to the tree??

Cant find anything useful in the help files either.

Michael

prometheus
01-04-2012, 06:57 AM
Forget about the post above...I just found it in the lef menu the materials tab asset was found, I thought I could change that within the big menu of materials to the right.

weird thou that you can´t do that it seems.

Michael

prometheus
01-04-2012, 07:43 AM
skeleton option in the fbx export, gives you bones directly in layout.

Michael

zapper1998
01-05-2012, 03:51 PM
It works, I just tested. You have to save the .spt file first, but then you can export as DAE, XML, or OBJ. The OBJ loaded fine in to Modeler

how do u do that export????

Philbert
01-05-2012, 03:58 PM
http://content.screencast.com/users/philnolan3d/folders/Jing/media/42ffeb68-0d06-43e2-98e9-de97e486ab18/2012-01-05_1757.png

zapper1998
01-05-2012, 04:07 PM
this is what i have

Cant seem to figure out how to get them active???

Mike

Philbert
01-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Can you Save As? I can't tell if it's greyed out or not. The first time I tried to export it told me I had to save first. After doing that I had no problem exporting.

zapper1998
01-05-2012, 04:57 PM
I did a save as .....
then tryed the export ....
and still grayed out ...

???

zapper1998
01-06-2012, 02:39 PM
hmmmmmm

Philbert
01-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Maybe try to reinstall it? I was thinking maybe there's some registration, then I remember being surprised at it having no serial number when I installed it.

daforum
01-07-2012, 05:18 AM
Does this work on Mac OS or is it Windows only?

Once I've registered will I have to use the HeroCloud, and will there be constant emails reminding me to?

Philbert
01-07-2012, 09:19 AM
I have not had any emails from them.

Now here's something strange. I just tested the download again and the zip file says "Lite". My download from that site is "SpeedTreeCAD_v4.2_Full.zip" Maybe it was a limited time thing. This would also explain why Michael can't export. Either way I only see a .msi installer for Windows.

Interestingly I just found this forum post listing the upcoming features of the next version and they list SpeedTree 6. I don't know if that means it will come with ST6 or just have support for it.
http://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1679.0.html

chco2
01-07-2012, 10:46 AM
I have the same. Went through it all and got the lite version .. grrr :)
Does your version say it is your version or can anyone install it ? ;) If the latter, you know where to find me :tcicon:

daforum
01-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Still waiting for my account to be activated, but if it's not for Mac (and it's only the Lite version) it sounds like I can't use it at all!

zapper1998
01-09-2012, 05:13 PM
ok

zapper1998
01-09-2012, 05:18 PM
I have not had any emails from them.

Now here's something strange. I just tested the download again and the zip file says "Lite". My download from that site is "SpeedTreeCAD_v4.2_Full.zip" Maybe it was a limited time thing. This would also explain why Michael can't export. Either way I only see a .msi installer for Windows.

Interestingly I just found this forum post listing the upcoming features of the next version and they list SpeedTree 6. I don't know if that means it will come with ST6 or just have support for it.
http://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1679.0.html

any way of u sharing that "SpeedTreeCAD_v4.2_Full.zip"?????

daforum
01-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Got my account set up and downloaded ST 4.2 - it is Windows only and it is the lite version too.

Will probably have to wait and see if ST 6.0 is available on the Herocloud account as v6.0 is for Mac aswell, according to their website.

Philbert
01-10-2012, 04:00 PM
any way of u sharing that "SpeedTreeCAD_v4.2_Full.zip"?????

I was going to PM you before but you have PMs disabled apparently.

ZeusSims
02-19-2015, 11:46 AM
Hello everyone.
I know this topic is very old, but I need this program, and I would ask if anyone still has the program.
I need SpeedTree CAD 4.2 the full version, because the lite version does not allow export.
I really need this program, if anyone has the program, or knows how to get it, please do not hesitate to comment.
Any help is welcome.
Thanks in advance.

spherical
02-19-2015, 03:21 PM
Do you really need SpeedTree CAD for something specific to it or are you looking for a free CAD application? If the latter, try FreeCAD.

ZeusSims
02-19-2015, 04:49 PM
Hello Spherical!
I need to open files .spt, and export the mesh of trees in .obj format.
Is there a program that meets these functions?

spherical
02-20-2015, 02:34 AM
I think you mean .stp files. Those are STEP, most usually associated with CATIA. Yes, FreeCAD reads them and can export to .obj, as well as .lwo and other formats.

ZeusSims
02-20-2015, 04:45 AM
No, I mean .spt file, is the extensión that handled in its early versions SpeedTree.

MSherak
02-20-2015, 01:50 PM
You can also find Maya or MAX with the Speedtree plugin installed and load .spt files into them.

spherical
02-20-2015, 02:29 PM
Ah, .spt is also associated with audio, so thought it was a typo, as .stp is more prevalent in CAD. I use X-Frog and DP Verdure, so SpeedTree went out of focus when looking at the file import/conversion problem, as I deal with that a lot. Can the person who generated the files not save in a universal format for you?

ZeusSims
02-20-2015, 02:34 PM
Hello MSherak!
I already did that too, it is true, Maya and Max can open files .spt, but only that, because this programs not allow you to export the mesh in any way.
I have a version of SpeedTree CAD 4.2, but apparently is damaged, because when trying to export the mesh, a message appears, saying it can not find the file export.exe

Here I leave a picture of the error, and an image of the program files.

EDIT: I need this program to edit trees of a game called Sims 3, the trees of this game were created using this program and are in .spt format.
So I was wondering if anyone still has a copy of this program.
As seen in the error, missing a file called Export.exe, Is it possible to create this file?
Clarify that I am a newbie in programming.