PDA

View Full Version : Layout (LW10) File Not Found

Bax33
12-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Hi,
I've been using LW 10 for about 4 months and I'm new to CG. Everything has been working fine. Last night I loaded a simple model (a wall, floor and door) into layout for a 20 second animation. It worked and I closed layout without saving. Today I tried to open layout and it doesn't come up. Instead I get a strange warning box that says file not found with two buttons, one that says Yes and the other No. If I click No I get the second box that says Error with an OK button. If I click the Yes button it opens the File Dialog box looking for a file named 'bles'. Has anyone run into this before? Do I need to reinstall layout?

System is Windows 7 64 bit with plenty of ram. Possible virus?

I attached the warning boxes I get.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

nickdigital
12-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Try clearing out your config files first. Unless you're redirecting your configs manually (if you don't know what I'm talking about then nevermind) they should be in your C:\Users\[you]\.NewTek\[LWVersion] folder

Bax33
12-23-2011, 03:44 PM
I don't know exactly what you mean, I only load saved scenes. Most the time I start from scratch. I did find the config files where you mentioned and I opened each and did a search of bles, but no occurences were found. This is really strange.

nickdigital
12-23-2011, 03:49 PM
The config file just controls how LightWave behaves. It's possible that your config files got corrupted. So if you delete them and then relaunch Layout/Modeler then you're starting the program fresh. Think of it like setting your dvr back to factory settings.

JonW
12-23-2011, 03:53 PM
LW seems to do this every so often. It takes a bit to get your head around this.

Also make sure you save lots of incremental steps especially if you have really complex objects & scenes. eg. Archmodel_v001, Archmodel_v002, Archmodel_v003 etc. Archscene_v001, Archscene_v002, Archscene_v003 etc.

& no gaps in any_file_names-so-you-are-prepared_for_Screamernet when you start using more than 1 computer.

Read Matt Gorner Screamernet tutorial even if you are not using SN it will give you some clearer insight into this issue with config files etc.

http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/community/lightwave/gorner/3.html

......at bottom of his page!

Bax33
12-23-2011, 03:59 PM
I'll make backups of the files before deleting, but I wanted to check and see if these are the cfg files you were talking about.
asgard_scripting_hilite
BandSaw.cfg
Extension Cache-64
ff4.cfg
LW10-64.cfg
and about 17 others like masters, hub, make poly, divide etc.

are these the ones?

Bax33
12-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Ok, I just tried nickdigital and as far as I'm concerned, you're a genious. Layout came up just like new. Thanks very much and I hope you have a happy holiday!!!

JonW thanks for your comment and suggestion as well and hope you have a great holiday too.

Thanks so much.

nickdigital
12-23-2011, 05:06 PM
Glad to hear things worked. One downside of clearing out your configs is that any keyboard shortcuts or menu layouts that you may have customized are now gone. What you can do is under the Keyboard/Menu layout window is save out the settings. This way if you have to clear out your configs again, you can easily load in your keyboard/menu layouts. This is especially useful if you have multiple versions of LW installed.

Dexter2999
12-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Looking at those colors, is this one of those 10.0 vs 10.1 issues corrupting configs?