PDA

View Full Version : pumpkin

apex
10-17-2003, 04:42 AM
non-photoreal

I just needed a break from a current project and wanted some festive wallpaper for my 'puter. Nothin' special. :)

ken

Doran
10-17-2003, 11:16 AM
the pumpkin is nice.

the leaves need a little more curl here and there.

Dick Ma
10-17-2003, 12:46 PM
where is caustics and volumetric light?

A good lantern but the candle is a bit too small to light it up brightly....

hrgiger
10-17-2003, 01:45 PM
Looks cool. The leaves seem too regularly placed.

That would take some serious skill to carve a pumpkin with such fine detail as that Lightwave swirl....

renderingfarmer
10-17-2003, 02:04 PM
I really like it. I think the leaves are fine.

js33
10-17-2003, 05:45 PM
Cool. But I think the lighting inside needs a little more work.
It should be less ambient.

Cheers,
JS

riki
10-17-2003, 08:45 PM
I like the light on the leaves in the bottom left corner. But I always think the images would look so much better with less clones and more slight variation.

apex
10-18-2003, 06:26 AM
Thanks all for replying. I must admit, I was guilty of impatience in doing this:o and broke all my little "scrutinous rules" I try to apply to my work and hit all those subtle details.

Doran and Riki and hrgiger- Yes your right. The leaves do need more variation. I just did a plane, sub-divided,tripled and threw a little "fractilize" to the plane and then cloned away. I assume I should have thrown an additional displacement on them for more irregularity. I'll give it a shot.

Dick Ma and js33- I decided not to do any volumetrics after messing around with them and fog to get a decent look. I just was'nt happy with it. No GI either. Just 3 areas, a spot, 2 distant and a point -1600x1200 lowAA =17min. Made some alphas and did some post work in PS to work the glow and luminosity. I have several variations addressing what you've said, but ultimately just rushed it and posted.

renderingfarmer - Thanks. I thought the leaves turned out ok myself (1 image, 1 alpha, 1bump) but I agree with everyone elsess assesment of not enough randomness. I should probably get into the habit of posting WIP's to get fresh eyes to look at my work as mine tend to get stale after staring at the same thing.

Jure
10-18-2003, 06:59 AM
I like it! If you could throw a bit of subsurface scattering into the pumpkin it may look nice too.

cheers!

Zarathustra
10-18-2003, 09:32 AM
Leaves:
1) Make some that are crumbly
2) Create a scene with one leaf boned
3) Import boned leaf, twist bones to curl leaf, place in position, repeat

Pumpkin:
Needs some kind of sign that it's mostly internally illuminated. SSS would be nice, but you can futz with translucency, luminosity, etc. I'm still at 7.5 so I don't know about surface thickness options.

How's the rest of the scene lit? street lamp? Porch light? Moon? I'd add a strong blue light source from the side - it'll add drama and the strong blue will make the candlelight really pop.

uh...well, that's what I'd do. Sorry, I got carried away.
:)

apex
10-19-2003, 03:02 AM
Jure- I have G2, used it once and tried it again on this and failed miserably. I never could get it to look correctly or work correctly for the pumpkin and got so so results on the candle that I abandoned it.

Zarathustra- Bones? I have'nt even touched on that area yet. Still learning the basics and have given no thought or time into anything pertaining to rigging and animating. I'm not even upgrading to LW8 +DFX because I have'nt learned what I've got. I know, it's a poor excuse but my workflow is'nt exactly up to speed yet and diving into new areas still having somewhat of an "intimidation factor" with LW, I never would have finished this. Theres just so much to learn. As for the lights, there are all the key ones you've mentioned. The one thing that I have noticed is that unless this image is full screen or surrounded by black, it looses a lot, at least on my screen.