PDA

View Full Version : Layout and Modeler Extremely Sluggish

Surrealist.
12-22-2011, 09:30 PM
With virtually nothing in a scene and even with no objects in Modeler LW is just sluggish as hell. I mean it is like molasses.

I have recently come back to LightWave from using Blender and also Softimage for a while. Both apps are extremely quick with my graphics card as is Messiah which I just started using.

I have tried as many different settings as I can in Modeler and it is just so damn slow it, well it is not usable.

I can spin around in Blender as fast as I want. In Layout it is like drag and very slowly things turn etc. In Modeler, if I have any geometry at all and I zoom and then let go it just keeps going because the feedback is so far behind. This is really bad!

I am using an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4830 Series with 1 Gig of ram. As I say, it performs just fine in all other apps.

Any ideas about what to do or try?

Thanks

evenflcw
12-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Is Color Correct OpenGL maybe on?

Dexter2999
12-22-2011, 09:43 PM
ATI, huh? I've always heard to avoid those with LW.

Ryan Roye
12-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Perhaps try a fresh copy of lightwave in a different directory to rule out the possibility of a plugin being the culprit?

For what it's worth, I'm using an ATI 4800 series card and it runs perfectly for me.

Surrealist.
12-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Is Color Correct OpenGL maybe on?

That was it for Layout. Thank goodness!

Thank you.

I have tried the other tips for Modeler and still no go. I have tried Streaming and VBO and even turned off all of the OGL features (including transparency) and it is still very slow.

Kind of lost regarding Modeler.

Surrealist.
12-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Perhaps try a fresh copy of lightwave in a different directory to rule out the possibility of a plugin being the culprit?

For what it's worth, I'm using an ATI 4800 series card and it runs perfectly for me.

It has actually been this way since I installed it. Just have not been using it that much until lately and I have not added any plugins to Modeler. And when you say perfectly, how does it compare to say Blender?

Ryan Roye
12-23-2011, 11:48 AM
It has actually been this way since I installed it. Just have not been using it that much until lately and I have not added any plugins to Modeler. And when you say perfectly, how does it compare to say Blender?

I haven't really delved into blender enough to give a legitimate answer, but from the simple models and files i've opened in there it works just like Lightwave does. I'd really like to learn a bit of Blender down the road, if only as a complimentary tool to Lightwave.

I'm guessing you've already set "MultiTexture" mode in Modeler as well? Try legacy mode? Lower texture resolution? Other than that, I'm not sure what other options affect the speed in which both modeler/layout would operate.

Surrealist.
12-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I tried all the options. I even tried to open and close Modeler.

But now after having closed Modeler and then opening again everything seems to be fine. So something I set must have worked but for some reason was not updating before while Modeler was open. A bit cryptic.

But for now, both problems solved!

Thanks.:)

JonW
12-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Run LW from an SSD together with your current job.

Surrealist.
12-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Yeah I imagine that would speed things up bit. I don't have an SSD but I'll keep it in mind. :)