PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk Acquires (TM) T-Splines

archijam
12-22-2011, 04:53 PM
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20111222005259/en/Autodesk-Acquires-T-Splines-Modeling-Technology-Assets

Interesting.

T-Splines was a plugin for Rhino. What did it add to Rhino, a principally nurbs modelling application, you may ask?

It (basically) added sub-d's.

It adds very good subd's addmittedly, for example it ha always been questionable to deal with the open edges of LW sub-d's .. and you can even convert between nurbs and sub-d's (with good workflow).

http://www.tsplines.com/

Sorry, but as an owner of a T-Splines for Rhino licence, I am not excited.

50one
12-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Yip, I'm in the same group, not impressed at all(Rhino / T-Splines user).

Anyway as far as I'm concerned Robert McNeel was/is heavily involved in T-Splines.... Autodesk Rhino anyone?

speismonqui
12-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Autodesk Everything anyone?

50one
12-22-2011, 05:55 PM
...What will happen when they'll acquire everything that could be acquired?

Anyway, the bigger you get - the harder you fall :jester:

cresshead
12-22-2011, 06:11 PM
awesome news..maybe i'll get some of that tech in my next update for 3dsmax

50one
12-22-2011, 06:38 PM
I think that maya is the most likely along with other nurbs native tools from autodesk to benefit from it in 100%.

bazsa73
12-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Autodesk is growing like cancer.

CGI_Artist
12-23-2011, 01:14 AM
Anyway, the bigger you get - the harder you fall :jester:

Tell that to Disney. o_O

Lewis
12-23-2011, 02:20 AM
Well at lest they acquire somethign very good, would be nice to hear form time to time that some of such new tech come to LW occasionally.

wibly wobly
12-23-2011, 06:56 AM
I don't know why no ones ever (at least that I've heard of) talked about AD and anti-competitive practices in legal circles. They own so much of it I can't see how it is good for the industry to have so much of it consolidated under one roof.

KurtF
12-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Because in the country that ignores autodesk, the supreme court said that corporations have the same rights as people.

Cryonic
12-23-2011, 09:56 PM
I don't know why no ones ever (at least that I've heard of) talked about AD and anti-competitive practices in legal circles. They own so much of it I can't see how it is good for the industry to have so much of it consolidated under one roof.

There are plenty of others doing 3D work with other apps. I haven't heard of AD suing anyone for implementing features that are similar to what is in Max or Maya or that they've acquired over the years. So, all the acquisitions do is speed up the incorporation of "new" features into their apps. But others, with time, could implement similar features (and maybe more refined).

CGI_Artist
12-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Difference is that cancer is something bad...

The media and entertainment branch (as AD calls it) is a dwarf in the area of computer graphics (especially compared to product design for example), and there AD has serious, healthy competition by companies like Dassault, Intergraph, Nemetschek or Bentley. Guess some only have this tunnel vision of "Maya/Max/SI vs. LW". Newtek is a tiny competitor in a tiny branch... insignificant on the scale of 'the real computer graphics industry'. One day... we will all be grown up enough not to seriously see AD as a evil monster, but just another developer of CG tools - respect in, respect out. Until then, I wish you all merry christmas. :)

Preach it! Lawes yes...

CGI_Artist
12-26-2011, 02:09 AM
Now's the time to author the wiki page on T-Splines. They've got nothing.

prometheus
12-26-2011, 05:08 AM
T-splines looked extremly cool, the fact that you have a kind of subdivision patch but with nurbs accuracy..if Im correct.

As to what I could see, you can also convert a polygon object to t-splines, and that would mean resolution independent nurbs when it comes to 3d printing, so even if you create a subpatch object in lightwave, you might be able to convert to T-splines and get the full resolution of the printer you choose.

Michael

archijam
01-30-2012, 03:19 AM
Autodesk acquires ... MeshMixer :|

http://www.cgchannel.com/2011/10/autodesk-acquires-meshmixer/

Somehow missed this .. sad news for me.

I wonder how long it will remain free (*or at least, affordable...)

Red_Oddity
01-30-2012, 03:47 AM
Autodesk acquires ... MeshMixer :|

http://www.cgchannel.com/2011/10/autodesk-acquires-meshmixer/

Somehow missed this .. sad news for me.

I wonder how long it will remain free (*or at least, affordable...)

Isn't that somewhat old news? I believe Ryan has been working for Autodesk for almost a year now.

probiner
01-30-2012, 09:35 AM
It is old news. Not an year I think, if so... wow... it passed quickly...

I'm happy for the guy. We guessed that Mudbox will come out with something like that.

Cheers