PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Uni Assignment :(

Philly85
12-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Hey everyone, just about had enough of this assignment now for university.

I have designed two different types of chracters, mainly because my tutor agreed I needed a new one (something I am regretting now) Basically to cut a long story short the tutor said I would be best off having a cartoon textured environment rather than using real life textures because the narritive of the characters do not match apparently.

Here is some screenshots of what I have so far...Cany anyone give me some feedback on how on earth I am going to make the scene look relative to the characters texture wise, the only way I see it is doing a whole new character of a human, something im not capable of doing.

Any help much appreciated thanks.

The other character is pretty much the same, theres 3 for a reason, two are like the one with the hat (textues not finished on that one) but the old character is the red one.

nickdigital
12-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Here is some screenshots of what I have so far...Cany anyone give me some feedback on how on earth I am going to make the scene look relative to the characters texture wise, the only way I see it is doing a whole new character of a human, something im not capable of doing.

You could try painting all your textures. This way you could still make a wood texture but because it would be painted in your "style" then your world would be consistently yours. Right now you're mixing real photos and 3D procedural textures. So everything is being driven by what either the photo is or what the computer generates. If you want to create a look that is uniquely yours, you either can do everything by hand or look to further manipulate your textures and the procedurals so they don't look so "obvious".

On a side note your two character designs are radically different. That would be something else to keep in mind. If the intent is that two radically different characters can live in the same world, then that idea should be carried throughout your set/world design. Why does the log cabin have to look like a real log cabin?

A lot of this has to do with pre-planning (storyboards, character design, colorscripts, etc.) Trying to fix it on the fly without a solid vision before hand makes things more complicated and stressful (which you're probably experiencing right now.)

Good luck.

Philly85
12-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks mate you are a godsend! lol :D

Nothing has to be anything if you get me, what would you suggest I paint my textures in mate? Corel Draw? Or is another software better for painting textures?

Yeah characters are radically different I may ditch the red one and make another similiar block type character least it will all fit in then if you get me.

nickdigital
12-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Nothing has to be anything if you get me, what would you suggest I paint my textures in mate? Corel Draw? Or is another software better for painting textures?

Use whatever makes your life easiest, Corel, Photoshop, painting on a napkin and scanning that, etc... :)

Philly85
12-22-2011, 03:50 PM
lol wicked thanks mate, will post update hopefully in a few days :D

Philly85
12-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Update of the cel shade on my blog.

Feedback appreciated :D

http://gge85.tumblr.com/

OnlineRender
12-26-2011, 04:14 PM
your lighting is all over the place and I reckon your render times are huge > ?

put one area light "as being outside" set the ambient intence down to 1.5 >liner light mess around to you get a nice clear image its scale dependant ... remember to hit reduce noise on the render global panel .. and add a point light

the tress look like assets you have brought in from some other app or downloaded .. I would remove them ,

AS for texture , get rid of the repeated grass texture or learn to do some nice blends or use LW default material I.e. Green , go simple

you sculpted these characters in ZB the detail should be waaaaay higher and more accurate than what you have atm, modeler would have done that and in half the polyz you will run into rigging and mesh deformation issues later down the line >

lets give the tutor what he wants scale it down , basic abc colours ,

you should aim for something higher than this " this was done in 10 minutes and the polyz are indide out :) but its an example you should be aiming way higher than what I can do ..

http://www.lightwiki.net/images/rest.png

notice how a simple tweak / 10 degree move on 8 polyz can make the fence look less generic , if its cartoon based you hardly get straight lines adding a simple bump or displacement to the object will over come this issue quickly , the background is a random goolge image it forces depth in the scene and reduces that black background look ....

good luck dont let them put you down , keep bashing untill you are happy generally if instructor suggests something its for the good

Philly85
12-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks mate thats brilliant advice :D

Yeah going to take the tree out, should have another update tomorrow of some more cel shaded objects and the scene looking better than it does now hopefully.

XswampyX
12-26-2011, 07:03 PM
I'd get rid of all the textures. It's a simple way to get everything looking the same, and then you don't have to worry about it. It might be better to put the textures in later in places where you need them, Like signs, paths, books etc.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/NoTextures.jpg

Did you know we now have lines drawn in VPR with Lightwave 11? :)

Philly85
12-27-2011, 05:51 AM
These are brilliant, knew I did the right thing by coming here and asking for help, thanks so much :D

Can't use LW 11, im surprised their letting me use LW 10, the uni still stuck on 9.6 cheapskates! lol.

Might as well get rid of the trees, they were something I downloaded, and might as well re-do the fence.

Philly85
12-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Updated still looks awful some of the cel shades but struggling to make it look more professional, cannot have the church grey because it clashes with the path, also need to fix the grave sizes are their huge lol.

Ryan Roye
12-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Updated still looks awful some of the cel shades but struggling to make it look more professional.

Try putting some contrast between the characters and the backgrounds... vary up the colors a bit.

Philly85
12-29-2011, 07:11 AM
Have done some trees but forgot to put them into the scene yet.

I decided to go with a devils playground kind of theme, literally, modeled a swing, slide, roundabout and a climbing frame lol.

Trouble is I have made them grey its looking a bit dull and drab, but cannot really use bright and sexy colours because it is meant to have a dark feel to it, any suggestions?

Struggling to make this work, the assignment is due early new year it has more potential if I texture it to look life like but that is going to take me a lot longer than using Cel Shading.

Any feedback is much appreciated thanks people :)