PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk flavored Music Video for Eisley (Equal Vision Records)

crpcory
12-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Finished this up about a month ago. Pretty much a one man show, I shot it on a Canon 5D, did pretty much all 3D in Lightwave. Composited stuff in Motion 5 (wanted to try out they new 64bit rewrite) and did a lot of tracking with Syntheyes (had to hand track a lot as well).

2 Months or work, pretty happy with how it turned out. Lucky for me the band had those clothes already. Creative bunch, glad they were open to something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qOaivXQB1YU
be sure to watch the HD version :)

Let me know what you all think

Rabbitpenny
12-21-2011, 09:17 AM
The music's not bad, but your video steals the show. Nice modeling, animation, and the compositing is convincing. Especially liked the poofs of dust when walkers hit the ground. Great entertainment. Watched it twice (correction: three times :))and I never do re-runs.

wrightyp100
12-21-2011, 11:41 AM
good work. i make music vids too. good to see a fellow waver get some quality work out there.

Mitja
12-22-2011, 05:38 AM
Great, both the video and the music! Really like it!
I always wondered how do you comp 3d stuff behind the characters, like in your video, without using green screen... I hope it's not a too dumb question!

djwaterman
12-22-2011, 08:13 AM
One man production unit. Brilliant, and song is good too. Never heard of Motion 5, I'll google it. Great work, it builds really well right to the end.

Rabbitpenny
12-22-2011, 08:25 AM
I always wondered how do you comp 3d stuff behind the characters, like in your video, without using green screen... I hope it's not a too dumb question!

I wondered too.

crpcory
12-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the thoughts everyone :)

Motion 5 is just apple's motion graphics / compositing program. I really like it but for this video, and compositing CGI into footage in general, I normally use Combustion (autodesk). It's just masking it out by rotoscoping, making one or several rotosplines and masking out the subject from the background (sometimes frame by frame but usually it's not necessary). Combustion's spline tools are fantastic, variable blur on different points really help with motion blur and soft/hard edge mixes on a single subject. Combustion is no more however, maybe Smoke or Flare is the current equivalent. Motion is more intuitive though and good enough for most jobs (it's similar to AfterEffects).

The band (Eisley) is great to work with, aside from just being really easy to work with and good people they're creative and professional in a very real way.

Lightwave is great for me, small operation trying to do big work. Glad to see the developments happing recently too. I'm thinking of doing a 'making of', have to talk to the manager / record label first. Given the time and budget it felt a little ambitious with what we were trying to do (flew down to Texas, 4 day shoot, rental gear...I got pretty nervous more than once hah) but I'm glad with how it turned out.

speismonqui
12-22-2011, 04:15 PM
I didn't knew motion had grown so much, I thought it still was a "Power Point on steroids" just used for some generic titles effects and such.

It's a shame about combustion, it really was a powerfull compositing software (similar to flame and flint but affordable), I don't think Smoke is it's equivalent though. Composite (Formerly known as Toxic, yes AD software renaiming obsession) is more like it but I always prefer Combustion.

Both Combustion & Shake are big losses for the CGI community IMO. guess Nuke is taking the crown cause I don't see Fusion taking over anytime soon.

Greenlaw
12-22-2011, 09:38 PM
That was fantastic...especially for a 'one man' show! Thanks for sharing that. :thumbsup:

G.

BigHache
12-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Enjoyed the video and the song. Very nice work!