PDA

View Full Version : Parenting problem

daz1761
12-20-2011, 04:28 PM
I have posted a thread a few weeks back about how to move 2 eyeballs at the same time. I found out that you had 2 nulls that the 2 eyeballs followed by target and 1 master null that controlled them. After implementing it with my actual character, the eyeballs do not stay with the character when moved by bones, even though i have parented them to the body. Ive tried restarting layout but no luck sadly.

Thanks

nickdigital
12-20-2011, 04:35 PM
You parented the null to the bone in the head?

daz1761
12-20-2011, 04:44 PM
I've parented the left and right eyeball to the characters body that's being controlled with bones. I had to put the left and right eyeball onto seperate layers so they can target a left and right null that are both parented to a master eye controller. But as soon as I deform the body with my bones, both eyeballs stay exactly were they are and don't follow the body as they did when everything was in the same layer within modeller. My body is pointing down the z+ axis. I can post a picture but will have to be tomorrow now sadly

Thanks

nickdigital
12-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Right...but did you parent the eyes to the bone that deforms the head or did you parent the eyes to the model of the body? The bones are what's deforming your mesh now. So your eyeballs need to be parented to the bone that's moving your head.

daz1761
12-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Ah I see. No, only the body of the model. I will try that first thing tomorrow

Yes the both eyeballs are parented to the body only. So if parenting to the head bone is the case, is it best to only use one bone for the whole head?

Thanks for the reply

nickdigital
12-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Yes the both eyeballs are parented to the body only. So if parenting to the head bone is the case, is it best to only use one bone for the whole head?

No, you can use whatever bones you need to properly control/deform your mesh. I'm assuming you have one bone to control the rotations in the head though, so that would be the bone to parent your eyes to.

daz1761
12-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Yes, 1 bone only

Great stuff will crack on tomorrow :)

Thanks

daz1761
12-21-2011, 05:59 AM
Works a treat, thanks!

I don't know if this is a bug with lightwave 10.1, but when i centered the pivot for both eyeballs in modeler, only the left eye was centered. The right eye, I had to center as close as i could get it in layout.

nickdigital
12-21-2011, 09:40 AM
Works a treat, thanks!

I don't know if this is a bug with lightwave 10.1, but when i centered the pivot for both eyeballs in modeler, only the left eye was centered. The right eye, I had to center as close as i could get it in layout.

The pivot tool might work on only one layer at a time. So if you had multiple layers enabled then the pivot tool would only work on one. You probably need to adjust the pivot on multiple layers one at a time.