PDA

View Full Version : Record pivot rotation

daz1761
12-20-2011, 03:28 PM
I am currently following a character rigging tutorial, but the difference is that i am using my own character. I have converted all to bones in layout, but straight away the guy gets you "record pivot rotation' in the upper thigh bone (bone attached to the pelvis) and for some reason my character completely deforms and twists around. I was wondering what "record pivot rotation' and "record rest bone position", as they come up quite a bit over the tutorials.

Sadly, i cant seem to progress any further with this problem

Thanks

dwburman
12-20-2011, 04:12 PM
If you switch to rotate mode you can see the handles for rotation on your bones. Watch the handles as you click on "record pivot rotation"

Sometimes you want to change their orientation (so they don't rotate in the wrong direction).

Record rest bone position simply tells LW where the bone is at its rest position (i.e. before it deforms the mesh).

Have you tried recording the rest bone position after recording the pivot rotation? Sometimes after doing an operation that changes the coordinates LW thinks the bones have moved and therefore it's deforming the mesh. By recording the rest position you're resetting the normal, at rest state of the object/bone position.

daz1761
12-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Thanks for that

No, i have not tried recording the rest position after the initial record pivot rotation. The record rest position seems straight forward, but im still a bit stuck on the other (must be as its so late), could you get away with not touching these modes and also does it affect the ik stuff if not?

Thanks!

RebelHill
12-20-2011, 06:45 PM
record pivot (rpr) basicay jsut resets bones so as their current rotation gets "baselined" at 0,0,0. makes working with a whole bunch of stuff, IK, constraints, graphs, animation, etc, etc far far easier... infact certain things are just impossible without it.

Also anytime anything seems to wig out like that, its usualy a bone left mis-rested, so ull end up just resting and re-resting your bones a lot as you go through a rig, changing things. You can easily re-rest at any point if you rest something wrong... just of course be sure you always rest bones at base/bind pose.

Oh yes, I can tell u right off the bat as well that the layout of the leg bones u have there is gonna give u problems in getting solid IK. Ideally when setting things up, u want to keep IK chains in a flat plane.

daz1761
12-21-2011, 05:16 AM
Very informative, thanks!

Yes, today i have started from scratch with layout, converted all bones, etc, recorded pivot position, which deformed like crazy, but after clicking the rest bone position it went back to its original position fine. So I have backed the file up so i can go back to it if needed.

Also, does it matter that after doing this operation, that the scene editor tells you that the Z rest pos is not quite on 0.0 and more like 0.0117m?

Thanks

RebelHill
12-21-2011, 11:24 AM
all values, for any channel, are shown relative to an items parent. Therefore all bones will sit at Z=something other than 0, as if at 0, the bone would be sitting directly on top of its parent.

daz1761
12-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Ah, I see now. That makes perfect sense :)

Thanks