PDA

View Full Version : OS X Lion, changing default config folder for LW 10.1?

Spinland
12-20-2011, 07:29 AM
I've tried searching on this, but the posts seem to involve changing text files that on my system do not appear to exist.

The situation is I'm trying to set up to render remotely from a second machine, and so both the local and remote need to be able to see the same config files. Since the default location is buried a bit on the local machine, and has spaces in the path names, I'd like to move the config structure to a shared drive with a shorter path name that both machines can see, yet will get updated when I make changes in Modeler and Layout.

I've gone into the Applications folder and looked around, even opened up the .app folders for the applications themselves, but cannot find any configuration files that I'd change to set this up. Any help?

Many thanks in advance!

eblu
12-20-2011, 07:37 AM
its all in one of two places:

the newtek blessed Library/preferences/LW folder:
yourUser/Library/Preferences/Lightwave3D

or somewhere under the location of the App:
locationOfyourLWapp/support/configs/workspaces/
locationOfyourLWapp/docs/Licenses/

I haven't yet determined which location is currently active for 10.1, and I'm not going to disable my LW just for you, sorry ;)

Spinland
12-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Actually the current location of the config files on my machine is:

/Users/(user id)/Library/Application Support/NewTek/LightWave/10.1

What I'd like to do is change it so Lightwave looks at something like this:

/Volumes/SharedDrive/Lightwave/Configs

Again, posts I've found talk about changing a file called "LightWave cmdLine" (for example) in a text editor to point at the new folder, but I cannot find such a file.

eblu
12-21-2011, 01:17 PM
try creating one in the same directory of the app.
but those docs are probably way out of date.

here's my suggestion:
use screamer net.
do mode 2 renders.

copy your good configs to that directory
use the flag to point to those configs (-c or -d i think)

problem mostly solved.

my render controller (easy) actually made configs automatically per job. I don't know if easy still works.

eblu
12-21-2011, 01:19 PM
here's the content of a valid config file with all of the values screamer net used circa 2008:

ScreamerNetCPUs 16
DefaultSegmentMemory 256000000
RenderThreads 16

eblu
12-21-2011, 01:24 PM
digging into easy's code now,
looks like i used mode 3 rendering
heres the flags I used:
-d <path> : work directory
-c <path> : config file
-q <path> : content directory

UnCommonGrafx
12-21-2011, 01:45 PM
you are talking about LWsN, right?

What you've asked is not as clear as you might imagine. For example, with layout, you can put that -c in front of where your config files are, e.g., -c/volumes/stuffis/here.
With LWSN, the same line goes in the file you make for all your nodes.

Which area are you speaking of?

dwburman
12-22-2011, 08:20 AM
If you make a folder named "Preferences" in your LightWave install folder, all the config files will be written there instead of in a subfolder in the Library folder.

Theoretically, you add a folder action to that new preferences folder to automatically copy its contents to a network location accessible to both computers.

Here's an article I found in a quick search.

http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/01/30/folder-actions-for-os-x-explained-with-real-world-examples/

The instructions for pointing LightWave Layout and Modeler to a custom config file path might be in the installation readme file. I remember seeing them some place.

Editing the 'cmdLine' was necessary for the old version of LW and does not apply anymore. The Mac didn't have a terminal (command line) before OS X, so there was no where to type a command. The cmdLine file was a workaround that NewTek used.

Spinland
12-22-2011, 11:43 AM
If you make a folder named "Preferences" in your LightWave install folder, all the config files will be written there instead of in a subfolder in the Library folder.

Theoretically, you add a folder action to that new preferences folder to automatically copy its contents to a network location accessible to both computers.

Thanks. This worked perfectly. At first I started to make a script that copied the configs to a shared folder, but realized there isn't a way in Automator to react to files changing, only being added. Then I realized that the new config folder created by the above advice has no spaces in the path. Viola. I just share the original Preferences folder and link everything to the configs in there and thus far it's working perfectly. No more need to remember to copy changed configs over.

Thanks again!

UnCommonGrafx
12-22-2011, 03:26 PM
That's some esoteric confabulation created in a unix system that I am quite impressed with!
(It's why I used the fancy terms.)

I tell ya, they thought of 'a lot' when they went through this system for little programs that make a big difference.
I now have a mac pro in my life. You seem to have some such beasts in your life. Did 10.1 run very well for you?

Any other tidbits? You've got my attention!

Here's an article I found in a quick search.

http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/01/30/folder-actions-for-os-x-explained-with-real-world-examples/

The instructions for pointing LightWave Layout and Modeler to a custom config file path might be in the installation readme file. I remember seeing them some place.

Editing the 'cmdLine' was necessary for the old version of LW and does not apply anymore. The Mac didn't have a terminal (command line) before OS X, so there was no where to type a command. The cmdLine file was a workaround that NewTek used.

dwburman
12-23-2011, 10:05 PM
@Spinland - Glad to help.

@UnCommonGrafx - 10.1 runs pretty well for what I do which generally isn't super demanding. That said I just put together a new PC yesterday because the MacPro I use is getting old. Is there anything specific you need help with?