PDA

View Full Version : Batch Capture trouble...

svbell
10-16-2003, 08:53 PM
I tried tonight for the first the Batch Capture tool, in conjunction with a JVC MiniDV deck.

At first it seemed to work fine, I can control the deck from the VT[3] panel, enter the timecode data with spacebar stroke, but when I launch a batch capture session, I have crashes over and over, after two or three clips recorded.

I noticed there are blank areas on the MiniDV tape (like blue, empty spaces between video segments). Could it be because of that I get persistent crashes? Or I am doing something wrong, somewhere?

Please let me know if there's something I should be aware of.
Thanks!!
-sv

Paul Lara
10-17-2003, 05:22 AM
Please make sure you have DirectX 9.0b installed.

svbell
10-17-2003, 06:20 AM
Where do I check that...? Haven't seen anything in the Multimedia panel under Win2k.

Anyway I installed from scratch, via Microsoft's web site. The problem is still there, while having less frequent crashes.

However, I notice that VT batch captures with total disregard of the entered time codes. As an example, I hade some 12 clips selected on a 40 minutes tape, for a total running time of 11 minutes of footage to capture. I cleaned the list, merging clips that have less than 20 seconds in between.

When I launched the batch capture, it recorded the first few seconds of the first segment, then fast forward a few seconds, record again, and so on. I stopped it after 5 clips recorded, that were all taken within the desired timecode entered for the very first clip.

Yet something else I noticed, the clips recorded play slightly faster than they're supposed to, a but like its playback speed was increased to 110%.

What's wrong??
Thanks for any input, I am baffled now...
-sv

Paul Lara
10-17-2003, 08:22 AM
Hit 'Windows - r' to bring up the Start | Run dialog box.
Type in 'dxdiag' and hit enter.

It will indicate at the bottom of the first page what version you're running. If you need to upgrade to 9.0b, you can download it here (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx)

svbell
10-17-2003, 08:25 AM
Confirmed: 9.0b is installed now...
What else can I check?

-sv

Kurt_Henning
10-17-2003, 09:51 AM
1. whether or not you have a TI or a VIA chip for DV capture
2. do you use onboard firewire or an add in card
3. if you are using OHCI compliant or the MS driver for IEEE1394 in device manager

I think the answers are
1. TI
2. either
3. ms driver

I have had DV problems and these were factor.

I can use an external or onboard FW card for capture now

Using the OHCI driver seemed to cause problems for me

The MS driver was the correct answer onout machines

Did you captuer DV type 1 or 2?

I like 1 myself

you could e-mail jerm AT newtek DOT com

He loves solving DV problems

He is on the case

AntAT
10-17-2003, 09:35 PM

svbell
10-18-2003, 06:23 AM
I was expecting that, after having made additional tests with batch capturing.

I tried with a tape that has no blank areas on it, and I ended up with new problems, where the timecode entered are totally ignored by VT[3]. It simply records random segments on the tape, a few seconds here and there, with no apparent logic whatsoever. Some of the recorded AVI files are not readable either, while others are OK. This puzzles me.

sv