PDA

View Full Version : Opening vertical blinds (lateral)

JustForFun
12-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Opening by rotation/channel follower is pretty straight foreward. I'm looking for a way to open vertical blinds along a lateral axis.

RebelHill
12-17-2011, 03:44 AM
so you're not talking about the "blades" of the blind twisting around themselves, but the "concertina" like action of them being drawn, right?

If so, there's lots of options, since you're already comfortable with follower, then Id use that, but the pos element rather than rot. You can add a +- value to each blade individually to keep their offset start position from each other, and also a multiplier to make those at the far end move more than those at the near end, giving you a proper packing/stacking action.

JustForFun
12-21-2011, 11:23 AM
I've tried the follower a couple different ways. All I can get out of it is an accordian style movement. Not really what I'm looking for, which is a sequential movement.

RebelHill
12-21-2011, 11:56 AM
yeah... an accordian type motion, thats pretty much what I was describing. Ofc, u say sequential... so what ur wanting is the accordian movement, but staged, so each slat (starting from the outermost) moves first, then the next, then the next, etc... right?

If so, then follower can still do it for u... just go with the accordian style, and tweak each parts time offset parameter.

Now that's great... but then to change the timing or speed that the blind opens/closes would require a tweak to the setting each time (cos ofc the time offset is absolute). If u find this a no go, then the best, and quickest bet is gonna be to hand animate each piece moving in time so as they all collapse together properly... and then use the cyclist motion modifier to drive them, this'll let u link the animation u made to a null (or other single controller), and the sequence will always play relative to the speed at which u move the controller.

JustForFun
12-21-2011, 02:18 PM
I worked out this with some expressions. A little messy, but with some tweaking, should do the job. :)

tcoursey
12-30-2011, 07:16 PM
unless I missed something, could you use a Morph?

kopperdrake
12-31-2011, 09:35 AM
Aren't morphs linear whereas this would need a circular translation of the points?

Ryan Roye
12-31-2011, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't recommend morphs for that purpose... the first and last frames will look ok, but in-between you'll get unwanted stretching and/or skewing.

tcoursey
01-01-2012, 10:52 AM
May not work for you but this is what I was thinking of. In case you were interested. I may not completely understand your strategy, sorry if this is the wrong direction.

JustForFun
01-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Here's what I worked up for my purpose. Still, there should be a better way to do this. Blind clone #6 ended up being the control (rotation & lateral).

tcoursey
01-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Wow, this is quite nice. Almost a "rig" of sorts. All you need now is a dialog box that requests how many blinds, puts geometry to hang them from and rigs it up and you'll have yourself a plugin to sell!

Seriously though, this is a great result. I'm not sure of any other way to get "both" rotation and lateral movement like you did. I'll have to look into this "follower" modifier! lol.

Thanks for sharing.