PDA

View Full Version : Animeeple closing down...

meshpig
12-13-2011, 10:54 PM
Received a sad little email this morning...

"Animeeple (http://www.animeeple.com/) as a business has not been as successful as we had hoped. Thank you for your support and encouragement. We've enjoyed working with you."

Surely the drag and drop bvh/fbx would be worth something as a standalone app?

cresshead
12-14-2011, 03:13 AM
maybe newtek could hire them to bring new motion capture tech inside lightwave 12?

meshpig
12-14-2011, 03:42 AM
I doubt it will go nowhere but yeah, it would make a great LW plug in.

bazsa73
12-14-2011, 07:34 AM
if NT would consider implementing it, then I would like to see it as a built in solution not like IKturbo or what was its name

mrbones
12-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Its not a good program, Therefore its gone. What are you so facinated with.?

colkai
12-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Wow MrBones, you go into each thread just to denigrate the people and the software whilst touting your own.
Bad form, do not expect this to win you any awards around here. not cricket sir, not at all.

mrbones
12-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Colkai,

I was mistaken in thinking that I would win respect by revealing the truth.

I thought folks would be glad that I have provided an alternative to the software fiasco that was Ani******

I am sorry I did not mean to offend anyone.

The program and its people had its chance for success and they frittered it away....

Im sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear.

Which was the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, So help me God!

That program is dead, let it lie. R.I.P.

Cheers

SBowie
12-16-2011, 11:17 AM
It's policy here to give 3rd party suppliers in related fields a little leeway. This goes both ways; I don't think anyone wants to see what they might feel are cheap shots - in either direction. Let's knock it off, please.

metahumanity
12-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Nothing wrong with promoting your product by offering it as an alternative to a dead one.

No need to put it down, though.

jasonwestmas
12-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Kinda tough to compete with motion builder, max and xsi for this kind of work. Cheap and free can only get you so far.

I think companies like Jawset and Worley have a better marketing strategy. Not cheap but fair and deliver outstanding features.

Titus
12-17-2011, 07:46 PM
It's a shame, I had my doubts about their business model. I hope they do something useful with their IP/source code and just don't disappear.

K-Dawg
12-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Releasing as Open Source would be great then providing Motion Captures for cash as model.

Many do that and works great, extra plus, Open Source would make the Software more compatible with a variety of software like LW, Blender, Maya etc.

jasonwestmas
12-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Releasing as Open Source would be great then providing Motion Captures for cash as model.

Many do that and works great, extra plus, Open Source would make the Software more compatible with a variety of software like LW, Blender, Maya etc.

Sure, but what are they going to do that would make me choose Anime-whatever source over some other service?

Cageman
12-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Hmm... Motionbuilder is the only good keyframe/motioncapture editing software around. I think if the people behind Animeeple could develop a lowcost "Motionbuilder" toolset, they would get my money instantly!

erikals
12-18-2011, 03:47 PM
 
looks like Jimmy|Rig Pro > video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFA9LJx7OfU) is a good alternative.

i always had problems defending the cost of Motionbuilder :/

 

OnlineRender
12-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Jimmy rig is great and with Kinect support , but no matter what way you look at it "TRUEBONES " that was harsh , you dont know abc why it got killed , for all you know AD bought it over and told them to kill it , but if Newtek had any sense they would contact the devs and say hey let us help you out , but going by newtek sharp wit , i cant see it happening ... plus the intergration with Ani and Motion I believe Cage proved this in several videos was productive .... dont hit harsh on an app that at least tried and going by there user base it was double of truebones?
as for the comment of opensource hmm not always the best / most productive method , because its free doesn't mean it will not make money blender being the best example my drunkin mind can think of ..

if you say well done to any app that fail " AKA RIP " your motives are all wrong , why wish people to fail? , esp in the 3D industry ,it's volatile at the best of time its like saying congrats AD you kicked NT out of the park well done .... get a grip , the more revenues the more jobs , the more jobs the more WE make ,

Cageman
12-18-2011, 04:25 PM
 
looks like Jimmy|Rig Pro > video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFA9LJx7OfU) is a good alternative.

i always had problems defending the cost of Motionbuilder :/

 

How do you retain rigs when loading in the same character again? As far as I know, JimmyRig re-creates rigs and weights, making it hard to stay concistent for external applications. Secondly, it isn't a retargeting system ala Motionbuilder... I think that Animeeple could very well become a "Motionbuilder Lite" if the developer gets enough support.

EDIT: To be honest, I would want to see as many "Motionbuilder" clones out there as we see "generalist 3D applications". It is quite bad that AD still has a stronghold in the market regarding Mocap/Editing/Retargeting etc, since there is only one application out there that does it properly; Motionbuilder.

Greenlaw
12-18-2011, 10:35 PM
How do you retain rigs when loading in the same character again?
It's been a while since I last used J|R but I recall it does have the ability to reload bones and weights previously generated by J|R. This allows you to by-pass the volume scanning/auto-rigging process.

I don't know if it can directly load bones/weights defined directly in LW though. That doesn't mean it can't, it just means I don't know.

Even though I've been avid MB user this year (thanks to Cageman,) I would love to see an affordable alternative too. I'm planning to put in a few hours testing J|R Pro this week. IMO, the demo videos from Origami Digital look very promising. Let you know what I think.

G.

RebelHill
12-19-2011, 03:57 AM
I think JimmyRig will come down to one thing... First off, as cage points out, it would HAVE to be able to load bones fitted to meshes in outside apps, rather than always generating its own. Second, and most importantly... It HAS to give you keyframe level access to the mocap, thats one thing that animeeple didnt, but the main thing that actually allows for "real" mocap editing the way MB does.

Ofc, thats before we get anywhere near MBs FBIK character rig, which is what makes the editing of mocap such a breeze in that app. Tbh, I cant see anything being a real competitor/replacement to MB unless it has something like that in it.

Ofc, for those who just want the basic retarget, then it could be fine, just like animeeple was.

I think folks into this stuff would do well to keep hold of the last release version of animeeple for now.

jwiede
12-19-2011, 06:30 AM
I think JimmyRig will come down to one thing... First off, as cage points out, it would HAVE to be able to load bones fitted to meshes in outside apps, rather than always generating its own. Second, and most importantly... It HAS to give you keyframe level access to the mocap, thats one thing that animeeple didnt, but the main thing that actually allows for "real" mocap editing the way MB does.

Ofc, thats before we get anywhere near MBs FBIK character rig, which is what makes the editing of mocap such a breeze in that app. Tbh, I cant see anything being a real competitor/replacement to MB unless it has something like that in it.
In your opinion, when it comes to mocap work (excluding J|R's auto-rigging from this) if someone had MB, is there any real reason for them to also look at these other options? Do they add anything MB itself cannot do? Or are these others mostly ways to achieve the same functionality without having to purchase MB?

silviotoledo
12-19-2011, 06:54 AM
Sad Animeeple is no more on market :(.

Good if Newtek add their functions to Lightwave 11.X. Lightwave needs RETARGET . Mocap actually is a reality for very small studios thanks to ipisoft.

Jimmy Rig is going great now and it seems ipisoft is also adding tools to edit mocap. This is really cool.

Hope they will be an alternative to motion builder soon.

Motion builder is the best, but it's a bit difficult to use ( thanks to AD user interfaces )

aperezg
12-19-2011, 09:01 AM
Jimmy Rig hasn't version for mac

RebelHill
12-24-2011, 05:27 AM
Well... there are other options that do snap at MBs heels a bit. For instance you got something of what seems to be an "MB lite" inside maya now. Youve got the characterisation system, fbik rig, and ofc layered animation, and keyframe access with it all. How well that measures up against MB standalone I dont know, having not come near to maya 2012. Then u got something like character studio in max... long standing, very capable. Motor in SI... lets u retarget anything to anything else... but is largely a manual setup each time (ie no characterisation type system). Then u got the IKinema plugin for maya... similar thing, lets you retarget any rig to any other, and the rigs of which are very reminscent of IKBoost.

So there's certainly other options... certainly even tools out there that let you go beyond what is possible in MB itself.

But MBs beauty is its focus on just this area, and its cleanliness and immediacy... basically meaning stick to the character template, adn everything else will take care of itself.

So unless someone were wanting to get into being able to customise every aspect of the mocap pipeline, I cant think of much offered elsewhere that MB wouldnt do u for.

And as for those who say "its difficult"... pay NO attention. MB is, without a doubt, the easiest of any 3d package Ive ever used to learn, and get results out of, by far.

colkai
12-24-2011, 06:38 AM
... as for those who say "its difficult"... pay NO attention. MB is, without a doubt, the easiest of any 3d package Ive ever used to learn, and get results out of, by far.

Couldn't agree more.
I could never wrap my head around rigging in LW but took no time to get to grips with MB and the abiltiy to blend motions etc. I never advanced beyond 5.5 as it is outside my budget to do so, even so, that is more than capable of doing anything i can think of and then some. :)

RebelHill
12-24-2011, 08:43 AM
I never advanced beyond 5.5 as it is outside my budget to do so, even so, that is more than capable of doing anything i can think of and then some. :)

Absolutely... Im still on 7.5... and tbh, nothing much really has changed in motionbuilder since way back in v4.

Some new tools have been added ofc, like the ragdoll stuff, HIK, some constraint stuff, and ofc the new look interface in 2012... but the real CORE stuff that MB does hasnt changed one bit... all of the mocap retargeting and advanced editing stuff u could still do back in v4 no problem.

Which is another reason why maya looks interesting... cos it seems to have that basic, important MB stuff built in now, and maya is nearly 25% cheaper than MB...

At some point Im gonna have to take a more close up look at exactly whats on offer... cos If I can replace my MB7.5 and maya 2009 just by going over to maya 2012 (or higher) then that MIGHT be the upgrade to consider worth buying (if only I didnt keep hearing about how bloated and slow the new maya qt stuff is, and how so many many artists jsut end up going back to 2009 to do stuff, lol).

Greenlaw
12-24-2011, 10:08 AM
I wouldn't call MB difficult but it's not easy to find information about using, especially when you want to learn about the more advanced features. Autodesk doesn't appear to take MB training very seriously.

Luckily, there is still 3D Buzz which offers free tutorials that give you a good foundation for building on many features but that's about it and all of their MB training is pretty old. Digital Tutors has a few good introductory courses but it's pretty limited. When I was learning it, it seemed like most users depended largely on communicating with other MB users for help.

Ryan Roye
12-24-2011, 11:13 AM
(if only I didnt keep hearing about how bloated and slow the new maya qt stuff is, and how so many many artists jsut end up going back to 2009 to do stuff, lol).

One of the reasons why I tend to stick with horribly outdated software... I still use Paint Shop Pro 6 (made in late 90's) because it opens and edits as fast as notepad. I really wish software developers would get it through their heads that sluggish and feature packed software does not surpass that which works as fast as the user does... even accounting for the ever-moving technology curve, some programs run sluggishly no matter how fast your system is... ok, I'll leave it at that to keep from derailing the thread :)

sandman300
12-24-2011, 11:33 AM
It's a shame Animeeple is dieing. It was actually starting to become useful. I wonder if it will still work after their sight is down?

RebelHill
12-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Animeeple will still run and work, no probs. Doesnt REQUIRE internet... its jsut that none of the store/buy/online stuff will work any longer.

As for the sparseness of MB training... hmmm... I got into originally back in v4, and kaydara had TONS of info available, ofc most of thats probably gone now. Maybe I should do some vids of my own to show folks how to get into it, or... what they're missing out on ;)

jasonwestmas
12-24-2011, 12:28 PM
There are plenty of MoBu videos out there, I know because I watched quite a few 4 years ago. Unless they up and disappeared. It was very easy for me to learn not having touched motion capture before then.

jasonwestmas
12-24-2011, 12:32 PM
What about all these?

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_videonav.php?ks=1

Titus
12-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Well, you can't download animeeple from their website so I doubt it will be around in a couple of years.

meshpig
12-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Maybe I should do some vids of my own to show folks how to get into it, or... what they're missing out on ;)

Yes, that would be much appreciated... Just about to engage a massive hot Xmas lunch even though it's 30C... but hey it was rainy and cold yesterday!

Happy Holidays all.

colkai
12-25-2011, 03:21 AM
Aye, when I was with the Shirow Project collab, I put together some vids myself.
Once you grasp a couple of fundementals, it's pretty easy and a joy to use compared to trying to blend motions etc in LW.
The great thing is, the FBX comes into LW really nicely, even for MB5.5, if using the FBXlw80.p plugin.

Greenlaw
12-25-2011, 04:25 AM
As for the sparseness of MB training... hmmm... I got into originally back in v4, and kaydara had TONS of info available, ofc most of thats probably gone now.
That's unfortunate. When I started learning MB early last year, I went through all that was available at Autodesk's Area website but the info was slim for anything beyond the basics. Fortunately, Area had a few of the 3DBuzz tutorials, which of course led me to the 3DBuzz site.

Maybe I should do some vids of my own to show folks how to get into it, or... what they're missing out on ;)
That would be cool. What I found most helpful at 3DBuzz were their videos on using constraints and various combinations of them. The training stops shortly after introducing Relations constraints though (MB's nodal system)--and just as things were getting really interesting too.

Anyway, this was the kind of thing I found lacking in the official docs and training.

BTW, if anybody here is looking for it, the 3DBuzz training is practically hidden on their website, so here's the direct link:

Motion Builder Training (http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_videonav.php?fid=adb7294aebab9c32accc9859e3ca44 a0)

Last summer, Digital Tutors finally posted a few new videos for Motion Builder. The new stuff is still more or less introductory though. In fact, half of all their MB classes have the words 'introduction to' in the title (i.e., Intro to Motion Builder 2009, Intro to Motion Builder 2012, etc.) Not a single 'advanced' title. Hm.

That said, RH is correct in saying most of Motion Builder is actually easy to master once you understand the workflow. For 'Happy Box', MB allowed me to blast through many mocap/anim fixes that would have been difficult and time consuming in other 3D programs. The trickiest bits being shots where the Brudders characters are handling props with both hands/paws, all which were pantomimed on set without any physical props (i.e., the Happy Boxes, foods, chainsaw, and grabbing, ungrabbing, grabbing again, switching off hands, etc.) Using MB I was able to make these fixes and tweaks while preserving almost all of the original motion capture data, quickly and almost painlessly, and I could not have met my deadline without it.

And to keep things 'on topic' with regards to Lightwave, the new exchange tools as of LW 10.1 have made a world of difference for my little productions. The latest version of Valkyrie plays very nicely with MB. :)

G.

Greenlaw
12-25-2011, 04:34 AM
BTW, will you be taking any requests? :)

G.

mrbones
01-08-2012, 09:36 AM
This seems to be a nice (non mac) solution. http://www.ikinema.com they call it webanimate, Cheers

M-A
03-10-2012, 12:51 PM
You should check http://moclip.com which is a similar solution.

mrbones
03-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Moclip is in no way similar to that program.

Moclip is revolutionary!

Join the revolution today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB0qnVmkKLA

Thanks Marc.

You should check http://moclip.com which is a similar solution.