PDA

View Full Version : DIGIT mag [november] video tutorials

cresshead
10-16-2003, 04:41 PM
hi i sent in some sample video tutorials a while back covering lightwave, combustion and wings 3d...just to see if the mag would be interested in adding them to their cdrom content..i never heard anything til yesterday when i found that this month's digit magazine has them all on the disc!...
they forgot to tell me!..opps!

the lightwave tutorial i sent out was based on what splinegod showed the audience on the newtek stand at siggraph this year, i had a friend tape the live net broadcast for the 3 days for me...from the short demo i was quite impressed in his method of creating a head from a single poly!

as i teach 3d and now have a short 8 week lightwave course teaching students at a nottinham college i added in the single poly method for them to learn the coolness of making organic models in lightwave compared to their ususal head scratching with 3dsmax modeling....

so anyway whe you see the november digit magazine there's a short tutorial for lightwave on it..also there's the lightwave model
on the disc with the 60 layers i used to show how it was built step by step [one layer per step]

hope you like it.

steve g

WizCraker
10-16-2003, 04:44 PM
So I take it you did not get anything out of it from Digit?

cresshead
10-16-2003, 05:14 PM
not a bean....

i sent in the video's as "samples" to see if they would be interesting "buying" tutorials as most if not all mags out in the uk pretty much suk on the tutorials either written or on video..there are some that i think are okay yet most really waste trees for printed stuff or are rubbish if they are video...

i'm not saying mine are brilliant, but my student's at college think that they are helpful and useful in them learning 3d and compositing...they get something tangable out of seeing them.

i've been waiting to hear back from digit, 3d world and computer arts plus another mag i've forgotten the name of...

they just included the video's without informing me..i'm sort of miffed about it a bit but it does give me some exposure as they included my email and website details in the mag etc so i could get some work out of it but...not sure i should continue to "give away" videos with the hope that i'll pick up clients from me being on the mag each month...i'm sort of...on the fence here...i'm sure the video's do sway some buyers to purchase the mag so really i should be paid for my work...depend's if i get freelance work or good contacts from the free videos...i'll hold judgement for a week or two.

what's other people's thoughts on this?

steve g

Stewpot
10-16-2003, 05:28 PM
Hi cresshead,

Just a thought, did you make it clear in any covering letter etc., that you might expect payment?

Nevertheless, its poor etiquette to use someone's stuff without at least informing them.

cresshead
10-16-2003, 05:47 PM
i'm pretty sure i did....still it's water under the bridge so i'm not about to "go postal" on them!...

as i said i'm disapointed not to know in advance that it was going to be used...still some firms have communication problems...maybe i slipped thru the net this time...

it has the possibility even without a payment to work for me..only time will tell..

i'll need to ponder on this and see what my next move needs to be so i benefit from my tutorials...one possiblity is to give a tutorial away per month on the mag and set up a paypal page to sell my other more detailed tutorial videos on max, combustion, corel draw, premiere 6 and lightwave...basically use the mag as a free advert space for my tutorial cdroms and also freelance work or gain a post in a studio in the u.k

if nothing else it gets me into 3d artists homes/studios to either help them out learning 3d/compositing or introduce myself as their next client or possible 3d artist to work with them..just another way to open a few doors....

...what you you think??

steve g

murdoch
10-16-2003, 06:07 PM
perhaps, send notes to the Head Monkey, Art Monkey, Senior Disc Monkey and the International Licensing donkey (mail addresses are in the mag) stating your case. do they intend to use it internationally? hope they gave you a credit.

cheeky monkeys

cresshead
10-16-2003, 06:13 PM
yeah there's credit's in the mag...

since it was a "sample" i'm not too bothered...the things in there had to be short to keep file size down.my tutorials i sell to students are full screen and not edited..you get all the bits where i go wrong too!...warts n all so that they learn how to get out of dead ends and mistakes!...plus it's far more informal delivery..i have a bit of fun..going off on my "basil faulty" style of teaching methods.

cheers

SplineGod
10-18-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by cresshead
hi i sent in some sample video tutorials a while back covering lightwave, combustion and wings 3d...just to see if the mag would be interested in adding them to their cdrom content..i never heard anything til yesterday when i found that this month's digit magazine has them all on the disc!...
they forgot to tell me!..opps!

the lightwave tutorial i sent out was based on what splinegod showed the audience on the newtek stand at siggraph this year, i had a friend tape the live net broadcast for the 3 days for me...from the short demo i was quite impressed in his method of creating a head from a single poly!

as i teach 3d and now have a short 8 week lightwave course teaching students at a nottinham college i added in the single poly method for them to learn the coolness of making organic models in lightwave compared to their ususal head scratching with 3dsmax modeling....

so anyway whe you see the november digit magazine there's a short tutorial for lightwave on it..also there's the lightwave model
on the disc with the 60 layers i used to show how it was built step by step [one layer per step]

hope you like it.

steve g
Glad you liked the method. I had to figure out a way (way back when) to teach head modeling to my students in a way that mimics what you would find in most decent drawing books. Its a tried and true method and adapts well to 3D. :)
Ive taught a lot of character modeling stuff over the years and this was the one method everyone seemed to snap to immediatly and produce stuff quickly. :)

cresshead
10-19-2003, 06:55 AM
a big thanks to larry "SPLINEGOD" BTW your demonstration on the siggraph stream making the head was BRILLIANT..when i ran my intro to lightwave class [8 week course at a college in nottingham u.k] i needed a simple/fast/predictable way to get students onboard the lightwave "wave"..they've been learning 3dsmax for the last year so and most of them couldn't create characters that they were proud of so my mission was to "wow" them with lightwave and get them to switch from max to lightwave by showing them that character bodies and head were simple fast and had great results with little head scratching...the 8 week course ended yesterday [it ran on a saturday] and the class was constantly amazed at how simple most things are in lightwave compared to 3ds max...yesterday we did quick demos of skelegons, hypervoxels and effectors...when i demo'd skytracer and hdri/imageworld there jaws dropped....same with how simple it is to use GI and most of all modeler in lightwave constantly had them thinking "why did i use max"...

the class used lightwave discovery edition so they could try stuff out at home as well..so a big thanks to onevideo.net who sent out about 30 lightwave DE discs to me.

so far 4 out of the 18 students have bought a full commercial version of lightwave 7.5 so it's been worth running the class.
plus around 6 are trying to sort out the cash to get lightwave 8 as soon as they can...at times i felt like a newtek demo guy!
..i got my wow factor style delivery from seeing proton and deuce on the stream!..so cheers people!

most students now want the rest of the advance course NOT to only use 3dsmax...they want lightwave onboard for the rest of the year... which is a good result in my book.

cheers

steve g

pauland
10-19-2003, 07:56 AM
Great news Steve, keep up the good work.

About the magazine submission. Many years ago I submitted a programming article to three or four magazines, asking them to let me know if they were interested in publishing it (for a fee). Magazine A said they liked the article and would pay (something like 175, it was about15 years back), but wanted some changes. I did the changes and re-submitted the article.

Then I went to the shop and bought Magazine B. They hadn't got back to me at all and there was my article (incorrectly printed, with some missing stuff). I was furious. I contacted them and said they'd printed it without permission. They offered me 100. I told them Magazine A was going to publish and was going to pay 175, and they would have to pay this amount. They seemed to think that sending them the article meant they could publish and I shouldn't have submitted it to multiple magazines (despite my covering letter). They paid me 175.

I explained to magazine A what had happened and they were very understanding. Just imagine if the article had been published in two magazines at once!

I think that at least you have a foot in the door, so maybe you could quietly ask them about more submissions and when the fee will arrive... ;-)

Paul

cresshead
10-19-2003, 09:07 AM
i'll be telephoning the editor tomorrow as it appears the "underlings" couldn't find their collective way out a paper bag...the mag still hasn't arrived..and should have turned up friday...Hmmm

anyway...i'll let you know what kicks off..

steve g:rolleyes:

erich
10-19-2003, 09:54 PM
Hey Cresshead.

Have you thought of making your tutorial videos available to the general LW audience on the www (for a price of course)? Not everyone gets the mag you know.

cresshead
10-20-2003, 05:19 AM
just a call from the mag...most things are now resolved and i'm looking forward to making some more content now that we have re started on "the right footing".

so i expect to see more videos and written stuff from me in the near future.

steve g:cool: