PDA

View Full Version : Spotlight

Richard Hebert
12-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Working on a searchlight for a helicopter and I'm using a spotlight for the lighting effect. I've got a narrow 15 degree beam but the origin (located inside the searchlight comes from a point and is noticeable in the render. What would be a useful technique to get the spread correct at the point of origin? Poser lights let's the user define the size of the spread at it's origin so that this effect would become moot. Here's a render to illustrate.
Thanks for the artistic input!

Richard

cagey5
12-13-2011, 01:39 PM
As a workround, add a point light, parent it to the spotlight with an intensity of something like -200%. Play around with falloff, intensity and position.

+1 for having a better built in system.

[edit] Forget that. it looks terrible from the front.

nickdigital
12-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Does adjusting the 'Cone Base' value in the Volumetric options do what you want?

The other hack workaround would be to model a cone with a gradient to simulate the light cone.

Richard Hebert
12-13-2011, 02:20 PM
You know... I didn't even notice that option. Let me try that and see if it helps.

Richard Hebert
12-13-2011, 02:32 PM
The cone base simply moves the effect down the cone by the prescribed distance. A value of 2 feet moves the effect 2 feet down the cone away from the source. Pretty close if I could only shift the whole effect back toward the source. May have to go the gradient/cone option.

Cryonic
12-13-2011, 03:55 PM
The cone base simply moves the effect down the cone by the prescribed distance. A value of 2 feet moves the effect 2 feet down the cone away from the source. Pretty close if I could only shift the whole effect back toward the source. May have to go the gradient/cone option.

Shift the base down the light a certain distance. Move the light back so that the "base" is inside your spotlight. Parent the spotlight to a null so that the null is sitting at the point you want the light to rotate about. Then you can swivel the null around to point the light in a new direction and make it seem like it is coming from the spotlight.

monovich
12-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Shift the base down the light a certain distance. Move the light back so that the "base" is inside your spotlight. Parent the spotlight to a null so that the null is sitting at the point you want the light to rotate about. Then you can swivel the null around to point the light in a new direction and make it seem like it is coming from the spotlight.

this is what I've done over the years. works fine.

Richard Hebert
12-13-2011, 07:24 PM
You guys are great! I was just going to do just that when I got back home! I was thinking about it when I went to work today and that's what occurred to me. Thanks for the confirmation.

Richard